1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Muppets Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by theprawncracker, Nov 11, 2011.

1. matleo

matleo Active Member

Just got back from a preview screening near me. I won't really review too much because I can't add to anything that's already been said without spoiling though I will say the film seemed rushed in a few early places (mostly the first act), the mansion in particular. And, not to invalidate the others opinions, I didn't think Walter's 'talent' came out of left field at all. Watch the film again. It's in there just don't expect a neon sign to point at it. And to be honest, I'm glad it's like that cause I hate when they show you "chekov's gun" and say "Hey we're going to fire this in the third act!!!"

I have a few other thoughts which I'll most likely post on Wednesday. But, for now, yes this is a very good film. Some very funny scenes. Great to see everyone back and I hope they make more.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  2. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I agree, the characters that should have gotten great lines got nothing, nothing at all.
    For example:
    Statler and Waldorf: Had only 1 good line in this movie. The other one you could only hear if you were paying attention
    Rizzo: was nowhere to be seen. very sad about that I love Rizzo
    Bobo: Bobo wasn't that funny in this movie. The main jokes in this movie circulated around Walter, Kermit, Jason Segal and Amy Adams.
    I do love Walter though. Walter's just great.
    For the cameos, they were great! Though Jack black was more than a cameo, he should have been counted in the main actor list.
    I don't want to put down any spoilers so I'll stop here
  3. Muppet fan 123

BTW the Toy Story short wasn't that good.
    I didn't like it at all.
  4. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I hope we don't get too much negative reviews about this movie on this thread. I really believe that the movie will be really great and I still can't wait to see it.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  5. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

Indeed! Actually, I've got an idea brewing here. Let's refrain from posting reviews here until Thanksgiving.
    Puckrox, ploobis and Duke Remington like this.
  6. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

Rizzo IS in the movie, during Kermit's big "I believe in you" speech in the theater and with Beauregard and the other rats during the finale.
  7. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Thank you 12Medbe! :)
  8. matleo

matleo Active Member

Not to be rude but there is also the possibility of not reading this thread. The people who have seen the film and have posted thoughts have tried to stay spoiler -free and I think they've done a pretty good job of that. I also understand there are those who want to know nothing about the film beforehand and I can respect that. That's awesome! But still there are people on the forum who have seen the film and want to share their thoughts on it. And you've got to respect that they have a right to do that and that they are doing their best to walk a middle ground.
    theprawncracker likes this.
  9. shinycelebi225

shinycelebi225 Active Member

aww, no rizzo :(
  10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Rizzo's there. He's just been reduced to a very small role. With Steve doing Kermit the whole time and the focus on more classic characters, Rizzo wouldn't fit in well. I wish they could've finagled him something, nothing big, just a short thing like Pepe's scene.
    Duke Remington and Puckrox like this.
  11. Muppet fan 123

Also the jail part was cut from the movie.
    The Muppets never go to jail
  12. Muppet fan 123

Here are some other Muppets that were missing (does anyone care about these people besides me?)
    Robin
    Rizzo
    J.P.Gross
    Gladys the Kitchen Lady

Something I had a question about..
    Kermit doesn't own the theatre, J.P. Gross does and he wasn't in the movie
  13. Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg Member

Totally agree with you. Why would someone click on a thread called "The Muppets Movie Reviews" if they want to avoid reading reviews? I'm grateful that reviews ARE being posted, but if someone else prefers to avoid them, just stick to the other threads.
  14. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

J.P's died before the events of IAVMMCM
  15. Muppet fan 123

What's IAVMMCM?
  16. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

IAVMMCM = It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.

I guess it's debatable if JP Gross really died (I think it's actually said that "scooter's uncle" left them the theater). In that movie, the theater becomes a historical landmark, and can't be torn down or changed. By that logic, Tex can't tear down the theater and drill for oil (would drilling for oil with the theater intact count as a violation?). Also, going by the junior novel and what all I've read online, I guess it can be assumed that the Muppets always owned the theater, perhaps with JP's role being created for the series but not really being owner in the movie's "real world" universe.

The Muppet Wiki page seems to list various credits, for performers, songs, cast, and "uncredited cameos". I wondered if it came from the press kit, but various "edit summaries" say they're according to credits. So am I to understand that somebody kept track of all the credits (wouldn't be too surprised)?

Some interesting things about the credits, as listed at Muppet Wiki: Although Prawncracker said that Miss Poogy and Foozie are the only Moopets to talk, the credits supposedly list all Moopets except for the Janice Moopet, though they are listed as "Fozzie Moopet", "Rowlf Moopet" (the junior novel calls him Roowlf), and "Kermit Moopet". It also says that Sweetums is performed by Matt Vogel; I would have thought David Rudman would perform him, since he took over as Scooter and Janice (then again, I should be surprised Rudman didn't perform Sweetums in Letters to Santa, his first appearance since Rudman took over as some of Hunt's characters). The credits listed there also list at least one classic Muppet who reportedly (in the thread about the first preview) has no lines (though that fan could have misremembered). There's a few minor characters who I knew have dialogue who seem to be credited that I was surprised by, though just because I don't expect them to get much dialogue doesn't mean they won't get much dialogue.
  17. Muppet fan 123

Miss Poogy and Foozie are the only Moopets that talk. I saw the movie last night. They don't even mention Miss Poogy's name. No one knew her (?) name.
    The cameos were great although Jack Black was way more than a cameo, he basically starred in the movie. There are surprise cameos and they are great. There are some cameos that if you blink you'll miss. Keep an eye out for those.
    But J.P never died in any Muppet movie, they could of had him there. I've got to watch It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (can you belive I haven't seen it?).
    Robin's not in this movie either and Statler and Waldorf don't have amazing lines.
    And I was very mad by what the Swedish Chef does at one point. At one point in the movie when all the Muppets get back together and go to the broken down theatre the Swedish Chef opens up the fridge and sees all the talking vegetables from the Muppet Show, then he just blows them up and kills all of them. (I was disgusted by that scene, I love those talking vegetables). But later some talking food is seen in Piggy's dressing room (so I don't know what's going on)
  18. matleo

matleo Active Member

I had some other non-spoiler thoughts on the film. I thought I posted them but I guess not. Anyway....

1) I loved Beau's entrance into the film. Classic Muppet stuff. Overall there were quite a few Muppety gags, but this one was my favorite.

2) Someone posted that they didn't like the Paris scene. I actually did like that. In particular I liked that it made me think of Kermit in a different way. Not necessarily a bad way, but it shines a very unique light on him and you get a perspective that we've never had before.

3) I really liked when.....ok, this one's a spoiler so instead I'll say I liked how the third act begins. It's a way of using a classic Muppet character I'm kind of surprised has never really been done before. I'll post more on this next week.

4) One thing that bothered me was there were a few too many 'nods and winks' to them being in a movie. I know it's a staple of Muppet films and it usually gets the biggest laugh from me, but this one could have cut about half of them out.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  19. matleo

matleo Active Member

It's spoiled food. They kind of flashed by it a little too quick to catch that it had gone bad but that's why he did it. I was expecting a joke about how it had gone bad and then have the food doing horrible things. That would have given Chef a reason to do what he did but again there's an instance where i think they kind of rushed a few things.

In regards to the Mooppets, I think that they all had 'principle puppeteers' that they are each credited for even though they don't necessarily speak. Like when Dave Goelz sometimes gets credited for Zoot in a production even though Zoot doesn't say anything. I remember seeing in the credits that Dave was 'Kermit Moopet'. I can't help but wonder if there might be deleted scenes where they had bigger roles too.
  20. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

The only productions I've seen that list Dave Goelz as Zoot are ones where he gets some dialogue. He didn't talk much in The Muppet Movie or Muppets Take Manhattan, but he did say something, and was credited in those (I do not yet know if he gets any dialogue in this movie).