The Muppets on SNL Dec. 18!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Docnzhoss said:
Also, I remember when Jim had Dr. Teeth with him on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. And at MuppetFest, (even though I wasn't there...grrrrr) performers such as Jerry Nelson, Dave Goelz and Bill Barretta sat in chairs and performed favorite Muppets in front of a crowd.

I also enjoy the episode of TMS with Senor Wences with the running gag of Muppets such as Gonzo and Statler talking about how puppets are unnatural and freak them out. At one point, after Gonzo says his bit (to Kermit) and walks away, Kermit looks at the camera and says, "I didn't have the heart to tell him."

Muppets are puppets and everyone knows it. I remember watching TMS or SS as a kid and seeing a puppeteers arm behind one of the characters. I liked pointing it out to my dad but I didn't care. It didn't change the way I felt about such lovable, interesting and fun characters.
First of all, I never saw the Johnny Carson clip of Jim with Dr. Teeth, I would die to see that! Second, I remember the scene of the back stage for Jim's rememberance show when the Muppets are trying to figure out who Jim was and realize that he was a puppeteer and they look down and say there's a human underneath them and they can't get rid of them, such a sad event and yet one of the funniest moments.

utah

Reaction score
i stand corected i guess i just dint like sing the fake kermit

T

timrikthegorf

You can't be so sensative. The muppets parody other people all the time.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Sorry Utah, I didn't mean to come off on the offensive, hope I didn't offend you :embarrassed: I respect your opinion!

beaker

Reaction score
Muppet Pro said:
Exactly, And It was very rare to see ANY Muppet parody around when Jim was alive. And round the middle or late 80's and when The Muppets continued after the passing of their loving creator. Muppet Parodies became common.

Wow...so you never read Muppet Magazine in the 80's did ya? Every issue was FILLED with spoofs and parodies...they also did Muppets go to the Movies special, Muppet Babies had spoofs on every episode, etc. And there were also spoofs of Muppets in the 80's, like Meet the Feebles, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if I am one of the only few people on here who grew up with and remembers the Muppets of the magnificant 80's?

T

timrikthegorf

Well I remember some of the stuff they did in the 80's, or at least I found it on then et and loved it.

They did parodies ALL THE TIME! They did it on Sesame Street too! TMS had a band called the Beetles on once using actual insect puppets and then Sesame Street had it's own Beetles band. Super Grover is a parody of Superman. There is Wonder Pig from that one episode. Piggy is suppose to be a parody of someone famous named Peggy I think. Floyd's design is based off of St. Pepper. VH was a parody of soap operas. Pigs in Space was like a Star Trek rip off, even calling the ship the Swine Trek! DIRTH FREAKING NADER! Seriously, parody is NOT new to the muppets!

I swear. it's like some people don't even pay attention to the things they watch.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
utah said:
i stand corected i guess i just dint like sing the fake kermit
It's all good, utah. I'm currently reading the book "Jim Henson-The Works". It's a wonderful book full of Muppety goodness and I was interested to read a quote from Frank Oz where he said that Jim never attempted to keep up the illusion of Kermit as a real person. I guess after live performances, Jim would stand up in front of everyone. I found it interesting because I read it just after taking part in the discussion here about seeing/not seeing performers. But your opinion should always be valued, just like everyone else's on this forum. So like I said, it's all good.

King Jim

Reaction score
Docnzhoss said:
It's all good, utah. I'm currently reading the book "Jim Henson-The Works". It's a wonderful book full of Muppety goodness and I was interested to read a quote from Frank Oz where he said that Jim never attempted to keep up the illusion of Kermit as a real person. I guess after live performances, Jim would stand up in front of everyone. I found it interesting because I read it just after taking part in the discussion here about seeing/not seeing performers. But your opinion should always be valued, just like everyone else's on this forum. So like I said, it's all good.
Ditto.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Transcript

If you want to read a transcript (and see 3 small pics) of "Christmas is Number One" from the episode. I've created and shared the transcript of the skit, and some pictures with SNL Transcripts (a SNL fansite with tons of transcripts from SNL though the years). You can read the compleate transcript by clicking here. Enjoy.

:smile: