The New New Quote Thread

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
JD Hansel: You have to compare Happytime Murders, as much as I hate to do this, cause I don't wanna be the guy who's like "Well, there's another movie that's vaguely similar, so we have to compare this to that". But I have to talk about Roger Rabbit, because...
Jarrod Fairclough: No, no, no, I vehemently disagree. Why do you have to compare it? Okay, there are similarities, but there are similarities between lots of films, we're not comparing them. Look at the film Cowboys and Aliens. Are we comparing that to Toy Story? It has cowboys and aliens.
JD: Jarrod, that's cheap. You know this is a Roger Rabbit ripoff in a way that there's no ripping-off in that case.
Jarrod: I disagree. Now I say that, Roger Rabbit's one of my favorite films, but I will say why are we comparing them? I don't think it's necessary to compare them, they're 2 completely separate things, they're not trying to be like each other.
JD: Really, Jarrod?
Jarrod: I will say really.

Schfifty

Reaction score
"Isn't it ironical that the better your weekend is, the worse your Sunday Scaries can be?"

— Tim Heidecker

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
"Oscar the Grouch: [driving into a junkyard] This is where I wanna be - grouch paradise! Just look it at. It's like a work of art.
Telly Monster: It is different, Maria.
Maria: Oscar, I want you to turn this car around right now and head for Toadstool!
Oscar the Grouch: Ah, an angry face in a beautiful place - heaven."

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
JD Hansel: The reason I brought up Roger Rabbit is cause, in that movie, you don't get too distracted by the fact that it's cartoons and people existing together. You don't spend too much brain power trying to figure out how these things that are drawn come to life and walk around. But Happytime Murders keeps contradicting itself and drawing attention to this stuff. It keeps drawing attention to the fact that on one hand, puppets have holes in their butts where a hand's supposed to go in, and on the other hand, there's no hand inside them when they get shot.
Jarrod Fairclough: Were there any jokes whatsoever about them having holes in their butts?
JD: Yeah, there were.
Jarrod: I honestly don't recall any of them.
JD: Because Connie threatens to sew up the hole in the butt, to sew his hole shut.
Jarrod: Okay, I just assumed that was an ***hole joke.
JD: It could be, but I didn't take it that way.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I actually disagree about Roger Rabbit . . . I always marveled at how cartoons and real people co-exist, and wondered how it was possible - especially when the cartoons were handling actual, real-world objects, like the weasels and their weapons, and such.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
JD Hansel: But then you have to ask the question, what even is a puppet if it's not referring to something that can be puppeteered?
Steve Swanson: That's the problem I had too. The puppetry was great, you could see puppets walking down the street and it looked really good and all that, but we know puppets as things that don't have legs, that aren't sentient, so what is a puppet? Is it a thing that lives and breathes and I guess is born at some point, or is it something that's performed behind a puppet wall? It doesn't really let you figure that out in the movie. It leaves a lot of things undeveloped, and that basic concept for me is something that, that didn't ruin the movie, but that's still something that like "In 15 years, you couldn't have figured out how to develop that, Brian?"

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
JD Hansel: I'm really gonna try to not compare it to Roger Rabbit, I'm really gonna try not to, it's just that's an example of a movie that did some of the same things, and I happen to be talking about those same things right now. I don't have to compare the whole movies in their entireties, the world-building was something that movie did really well, there are other movies I could cite, but that's the closest resemblance. With Roger Rabbit, you get the sense that they're taking aspects of the subject they're talking about, how cartoons and cartoon studios work, and what cartoons were considered to be for at that time, and they're focused on a time period that will explore that story the best, and they build a world and a plot around that information. Here, it's an interesting situation in that they start to suggest this is a world where puppets are known for doing kids' shows, for singing and dancing, that's what puppets are made to do one of the characters says, they're for singing and dancing, that's what puppets do, they do kids' stuff. That's what they kinda try to imply. From then on, basically anything else that has to do with the way puppets operate in this world has almost nothing to do with the fact that they're puppets. So you've got the smoking, the idea that puppets are somehow able to smoke in a way that humans aren't, letting a lot more of that smoke out of their mouths, even though you actually have to do careful tricks to get a puppet to do that.
Steve Swanson: In every scene, they smoked.
JD: Well, they really wanted to show that off.
Steve: It's like "I get it, you can smoke. Why don't you try drinking through a straw? That's a neat trick too, while we're at it."
JD: And an even better example is the tongue. Apparently, because puppets aren't people, they can have super long tongues. No, they can't! Puppet tongues can never do anything! Also puppets are servants in this world? Like what?!

Any Del

Reaction score
Fred Rogers: "Part of the problem with the word disabilities is that it immediately suggests an inability to see or hear or walk or do other things that many of us take for granted. But what of people who can't feel? Or talk about their feelings? Or manage their feelings in constructive ways? What of people who aren't able to form close and strong relationships? And people who cannot find fulfillment in their lives, or those who have lost hope, who live in disappointment and bitterness and find in life no joy, no love? These, it seems to me, are the real disabilities."