The Next Step: The Fifth and Final Rowlf Story

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
FYI, the final two chapters of this story have been written. They will be posted tomorrow and Wednesday. Just thought you all should know. :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
WHOA! Big shocker there from Wanda at the end! WOW! Must see more! Please! :halo: Love the appearance of some of the Mayhem, great to see! :big_grin: More please!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Beth... You know I love this story and all the twists and turns it takes. Sorry if I can't or don't comment more, reading DH with a full house of Muppet roomies, until Kathy or Prawny knock on our door.

Waiting for the thrilling finale!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Nearing the end. One more chapter after this coming tomorrow. Of course I would have to post story like mad the week Harry Potter came out but oh well. Enjoy.

Chapter Sixteen:

“You want to what?” asked Rowlf.

“I want to adopt the baby,” said Annie.

“You want to make me a grandfather in the same week I found out I was a father?” burst out Rowlf.

“Well, I mean, yes you’d be the grandfather, but you’d be a very young grandfather!” said Annie.

“I can’t let you do this, you’re far too young!” exclaimed Rowlf.

“Um Dad, here’s the thing, by no fault of yours you are a little late on getting to be parental with me, I’m 20 years old, I can do whatever I want,” said Annie.

“I just don’t know if you could, I mean, I’m barely ready to, I mean, a baby is a big, big responsibility and oh my,” sputtered Rowlf then suddenly fainted.

“Dad!” exclaimed Annie running to his side.

Rowlf woke up in his bed surrounded by Kermit, Wanda and Fozzie. Annie had run to a payphone and called the boarding house. Kermit, Fozzie and Clifford took Beau’s taxi and ran to get Rowlf. He was out through them loading him into the taxi, through dropping Annie off at her apartment and through them getting him home and up the stairs.

He did not come to until they got him onto the bed.

“Oof, man Wanda your husband is heavy,” said Clifford.
Wanda shot him a look.

“Sorry,” said Clifford leaving the room.

“Wha?” said Rowlf struggling to sit up.

“Easy babe,” said Wanda.

“What happened?” he asked.

“You fainted while walking Annie home. We don’t know why,” said Kermit.

“Oh that’s right. I’m going to be a father,” said Rowlf.

“Yes, we’ve established that,” said Kermit.

“Not to mention you already are one!” piped up Fozzie.

”I’m going to be a grandfather,” said Rowlf weakly.

“Honey? You’re delusional. I’m the one that’s pregnant, not Annie,” said Wanda.

“No, Annie wants to adopt that baby,” said Rowlf.

“Oh, I see,” said Wanda.

“And she yelled at me for going parental on her and telling her it’s a bad idea. What if I’m a horrible father?” asked Rowlf.

“Rowlf, you’re going to be a great father. You’re still getting to know Annie, that’s probably why she’s upset,” said Kermit.

“And we’re all here to help you,” said Fozzie.

“And why shouldn’t Annie adopt that baby honey?” asked Wanda.

“She’s just so young,” said Rowlf.

“I think it’s a wonderful idea. Her mother died Rowlf. She may not have been the greatest person, but she still is her mother. It’s put a bit of hole into her life and even though she has us now, it’s hard to fill that kind of hole. Maybe the baby could do that for her,” said Wanda.

“I suppose that’s true,” said Rowlf.

“And we can help her look after the baby, we’ll have our own, but they can be playmates,” said Wanda.

“So if she adopts it, it would be our baby’s aunt or uncle right?” said Rowlf.

“This sounds complicated,” said Fozzie.

“I think that would be true,” said Wanda.

“I guess I overreacted. The truth is, I’m scared about being a parent both to Annie and to our unborn child,” said Rowlf.

“Like we said Rowlf, we’re all here to help you,” said Kermit.

“Yeah, we’ve all been here to help Kermit with Robin, we’re going to be here for you too,” said Fozzie.

“Honey, I’m scared too, but it’s a good kind of scared,” said Wanda.

“Thanks guys. I feel a little bit better. Still don’t know what we’re doing, but I feel better,” said Rowlf.

“Anytime,” said Kermit as he and Fozzie left the room.

“Think I’d better give Annie a call and apologize,” said Rowlf.

Wanda left him alone so he could have a little privacy.

Annie interrupted Rowlf with her own apology for just dumping that on him once he got her on the phone. They agreed they still had much to work out in terms of a father/daughter relationship. Annie sounded very happy when Rowlf said he would support her if she wished to adopt the baby.

He hung up the phone and breathed a sigh of relief. He was finally beginning to feel like his life was good again.

The days started blurring into months and Rowlf and Wanda went back to their normal activities, rehearsing for the show, hanging out with their friends. The only difference was Wanda’s ever expanding belly.

Annie was approved for adoption on the spot especially when Kate learned that Rowlf, Wanda and the rest of the Muppets would be there to support her. The young girl who was giving up the baby was due about the same time as Wanda. They only had a few short weeks to go.
Janice, Camilla and Piggy threw Wanda and Annie a double baby shower. They even recruited Zany the penguin to come to the shower dressed as a stork. Kermit surprised Wanda with a special room for the baby right across the hall from the room she shared with Rowlf. It had at one time been a closet, but he secretly had it renovated with some help from his good friend Ty Pennington. Now the baby would have a space and Rowlf and Wanda could still have their own space.

“Kermit, I just don’t know what to say,” said Wanda hugging him with tears in her eyes.

“You guys have been through a lot, you deserve this,” said Kermit.

Wanda continued to go to her weekly doctor’s appointments and Dr. Prell told her she could expect the baby any minute.

All of the Muppets watched her as if she were a ticking time bomb. She didn’t want to admit it, but she was actually getting a little sick of the attention.

She was relieved when she and Rowlf got a moment alone out on the porch after dinner one night.

“I swear if one more person asks me how I’m feeling,” she muttered.

“How are you feeling?” asked Rowlf in a teasing sort of tone.

“Watch it mister. Truth is, I’m ready to let this kid out. I’m tired of my swollen feet, my aching back, I can hardly breathe anymore. I can have it anytime,” said Wanda.

“Guess we just gotta be patient,” said Rowlf. He was secretly nervous about her going into labor. They went to some Lamaze classes and he was petrified he would forget something or that she would scream at him the whole time that she hated him.

“Has Annie heard anything yet?” asked Wanda desperate to change the subject. She knew Rowlf was feeling a little uneasy.

“Not yet, I talked to her before dinner. Kate promised to call the minute the baby is delivered, but nothing yet,” said Rowlf.

They continued to sit together quietly and Wanda started to relax. It was nice out on the porch just the two of them. For a moment, she even forgot she was pregnant.

Suddenly she was reminded that she was and it was in a big way. Rowlf felt her tense up against his side.

“Wanda?” asked Rowlf.

“I think it’s time,” said Wanda.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hexcellent as usual Beth. Loved everything,even the subtle references of Zany the Penguin and Kermit's friendship with the homemaker.
Can't wait for how this'll end tomorrow.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
EEEEEE! ZANY! Ty Pennington! Awesome, awesome, awesome! :excited: And go Annie go! :big_grin: More please!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
WHEW! What a strange and weird trip it has been. Before I post the final chapter I just had to share my thoughts. This series has been a major part of my life for the last two years. I started the story "Where Your Heart Leads You" two years ago this summer. When I set out to write it, I had no intentions of making this such a long drawn out process. Character development and plot development just led me to this point. I'd finish one story and go "there's more to explore, more to play with here" and then I'd write another one. But now, it is truly finished. I will write other fan fics, but this is the end of the line for my Rowlf and Wanda stories. It's funny, Wanda was not originally intended to be such a huge part of all this, but it's really how it evolved.

I will admit, much about the character of Wanda is based on myself. I am also a singer and well, I'm from Minnesota. But that's where the similarities end. I don't have the family issues she had and I will state for the record again, I am NOT pregnant right now. Some aspects of Rowlf and Wanda's wedding were based on my own, but only a little bit.

I want to thank many of my loyal readers/naggers: Ed, Prawnie, Lisa, Caroline, Marty, Java and Mark Fraggle who aren't here much anymore, Kate, Sara, PhyscoChimp, others who have dropped in and left a comment here and there and others still who I know have read but maybe just not said anything. You all kept me going, encouraged and inspired me. Thank you, thank you, hugs to all.

So, sit back and relax and enjoy the final chapter of my five story epic. I had the best time creating these stories. Like I said, you have not seen the last of my work!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh before you read this, it is the longest chapter by far and also, warning that there is a labor and delivery scene, but I promise it's not graphic, I hope it's not too odd to think of our dear Muppets this way.

Chapter Seventeen:

“Time? Are you serious? Ok Rowlf, focus, this will be fine, go inside and get Dr. Teeth to start the bus,” said Rowlf starting to talk to himself.

“Honey calm down, it was just my first contraction, I’m sure we have tons of time,” said Wanda smiling a little.

“How can you be so calm? We’re going to have a baby!” exclaimed Rowlf.

“Sweetie, relax, I’m going to do all the work ok? You just gotta get me to the hospital,” said Wanda hoping Rowlf would pull it together.

“Ok, ok. You wait here, I’m going to get your bags, tell everyone what’s going on and get Dr. Teeth to drive us ok?” said Rowlf.

“That’s great! You remembered the whole plan, I’m proud of you,” teased Wanda.

Rowlf managed a smile. He only hoped Wanda would keep her spirits up as time progressed.

Rowlf found most of the gang in the game room watching an intense game of ping pong between Gonzo and Scooter.

“Guys! Father! I’m going to be! Now!” burst out Rowlf.

“What?” asked Kermit.

“Wanda! Baby! Time!” said Rowlf.

“You sound like Animal,” chuckled Floyd.

“Is Wanda in labor?” asked Kermit.

“Yes!” burst out Rowlf.

“Oh, well why didn’t you say so,” said Kermit. Then he realized what was really going on.

“Oh my gosh! Wanda’s in labor!” he burst out.

“We’ve established that!” yelled Rowlf.

“Oh my, oh this is big, oh wow,” said Fozzie and began to pace the room nervously.

“What do we do? What do we do?” asked Kermit following Fozzie around as he became uncharacteristically worried.

“Um guys? I need a little help! Stop panicking!” exclaimed Rowlf.

“What? Oh yeah, that’s right. Ok, the plan, what was the plan?” said Kermit slowing down.

“Dr. Teeth is going to drive us,” said Rowlf.

“Yes! Floyd, go get Dr. Teeth,” said Kermit snapping back into leadership mode.

“You got it man,” said Floyd leaving the room.

“Fozzie, alert the rest of the house as to what is going on,” said Kermit.

“Yes sir!” said Fozzie and ran off.

“Rowlf, where is her bag?” asked Kermit.

“In our room,” said Rowlf.

“All right, I’ll make Robin carry it, you just go be with Wanda,” said Kermit.

“Ok, thanks man,” said Rowlf. He was calming down a bit now that his friends were jumping into action.

Wanda on the other hand was bombarded with concerned friends wanting to know how she was doing.

“Like does it hurt real bad?” asked Janice.

“Well, it's not exactly comfortable,” said Wanda.

“Is vous going to get the drugs? Moi certainly would,” said Piggy.

“I don’t know, we’ll see how bad it gets,” said Wanda.

“Guys, why don’t you give my wife some space?” asked Rowlf. He really loved his crazy family but at times like this, he sometimes wanted them to just go away.

“Like, sorry,” said Janice as her and Piggy got up.

“Thanks,” said Wanda.

“How are you doing?” asked Rowlf.

“I had another one while you were gone, but it wasn’t real bad,” said Wanda.

“I suppose we should start timing them,” said Rowlf.

“How about we start now,” said Wanda as she grimaced when another one hit her.

“Here, take my paw, breathe through it, one, two, three,” said Rowlf watching the wristwatch he had began wearing for this event.

“Your chariot awaits you,” said Dr. Teeth coming up onto the porch.

“In a minute,” said Rowlf as they waited for the contraction to subside.

“Ok, let’s go,” said Wanda.

“Time to rock and roll,” said Dr. Teeth.

Rowlf helped Wanda on the bus and then the others quickly boarded. Wanda and Rowlf knew they would be unable to convince their friends to wait at home so they said they could come and wait in the waiting room, but that only Rowlf would be allowed in the delivery room.

“Everybody on board?” asked Dr. Teeth.

“We’re all here!” said Kermit.

“Destination: Baby!” burst out Robin which made everyone laugh when they remembered a long ago adventure they had been on.

Dr. Prell agreed that Wanda was definitely in labor and she was admitted right away. Everything was moving along just how it was supposed to, but was taking some time.

Most of the Muppets had fallen asleep in the waiting room. Kermit and Fozzie were the only ones awake when Rowlf came out to give them a brief update.

“Hey man, how’s she doing?” asked Kermit shifting a sleeping Robin from one leg to the other.

“She’s in pain, she blames me, but hey, that’s normal,” laughed Rowlf.

“How come you’re out here?” asked Fozzie.

“Doc’s seeing how far along she is and Wanda wanted me to see how everyone was holding up out here,” said Rowlf.

“Just like Wanda to be thinking of us,” said Kermit.

Dr. Prell came out and joined them.

“She’s asking for you,” said Dr. Prell to Rowlf. Rowlf turned with a quick wave and headed back to her room.

“How much longer Doctor?” asked Fozzie.

“Shouldn’t be too much longer actually. Your friend is doing great, she’s a tough woman,” said Dr. Prell.

It wasn’t too much longer and Dr. Prell said the baby was ready to be born. Rowlf was so proud of Wanda; she went through labor without any pain medication. The hard work was still ahead of her though.

“Ok Wanda, on this next contraction you need to push ok?” asked Dr. Prell. Wanda just nodded her head; it was too much struggle for her to talk at this point.

Suddenly Rowlf was nervous again; his baby would be here any minute!

“Ok here it comes, push Wanda!” exclaimed Dr. Prell.

Wanda groaned and started to work on bringing the little new life into the world. Rowlf stood by holding her paw or her shoulders or whatever she wanted him to do.

Meanwhile everyone was waking up in the waiting room.

“Is the baby here yet?” asked Robin.

“Not yet, but it will be here soon,” said Kermit.

“Kermit!” exclaimed another voice coming down the hallway.

“Annie?” asked Kermit.

“Is Wanda in labor?” asked Annie.

“Yes, in the craziness we must have forgotten to call you, I’m so sorry!” said Kermit. He had promised Rowlf he would help make the phone calls to Annie and to Rowlf and Wanda’s mothers.

“It’s ok; you’ve got more important things to focus on. Guess why I’m really here though?” asked Annie.

“Is your baby here?” asked Robin excitedly.

“Yes! It’s a girl! I’m going to see her right now,” said Annie.

“That’s wonderful Annie,” said Kermit.

“Congratulations dear,” said Piggy.

“We’ll make sure Rowlf knows the next time he comes out here,” said Kermit.

“Thanks guys, I’ll be back in a bit!” said Annie and dashed off in the direction of the nursery.

“Well I’ll be, it sounds as if Rowlf’s grandchild and child will have the same birthday,” said Scooter.

“That’s weirder than anything I could come up with,” said Gonzo which of course got him some odd looks.

Back in the delivery room Wanda was getting exhausted.

“I can’t do this anymore, just get the baby out!” she wailed.

“I just need you to push one more time,” said Dr. Prell.

“I can’t. I changed my mind, it’s just going to have to stay in there, I really can’t do it,” said Wanda.

“Sweetie, come on, you can do this,” said Rowlf.

“No, I can’t, I’m so tired, I can’t,” said Wanda starting to cry. Dr. Prell looked at Rowlf helplessly.

“Wanda, honey, you are an amazing woman, you’ve been through harder things than this, I know you can do it, I’m right here helping you, now come on, let’s get our baby born. You’re doing so good,” said Rowlf.

“Ok,” said Wanda weakly.

“Ready? Push!” said Dr. Prell. Wanda gave every bit of effort she could with the renewed strength she felt.

“That’s it! You can do it!” cheered Rowlf. Finally a big fat cat with curly brown fur similar to his father’s slid out into Dr. Prell’s hands.

“It’s a boy!” said Dr. Prell.

“Look at him, he’s finally here,” said Wanda crying tears of joy.

“You want to cut the chord there dad?” asked Dr. Prell.

Rowlf walked over and cut the chord as Dr. Prell handed the baby kitten to Wanda.

“He has my fur,” said Rowlf also crying openly.

“I think you guys have a room full of people out there who would like to know what’s going on,” said Dr. Prell.

“Ok, I’ll go. I’ll be right back,” said Rowlf wiping his eyes and standing up.

“I’ll be here,” said Wanda softly.

“Hey, you were amazing today,” said Rowlf stopping briefly in the doorway turning to face his wife. Wanda beamed with happiness.

Rowlf made his way to the waiting room.

The chatty crowd became silent right away without Kermit even having to have an outburst.

“It’s a boy! Kitten!” exclaimed Rowlf.

Applause burst out in the whole room with everyone coming up to thump Rowlf on the back and shake his hand. Dr. Teeth started handing out cigars.

Suddenly Rowlf spotted his daughter and she was holding a pink bundle.

“Annie?” asked Rowlf.

“Hey Dad. You’re a grandpa too. This is my daughter, Ashley Regina,” said Annie.

“I think your mom would be proud to have a namesake,” said Rowlf peering into see his granddaughter.

“They share the same birthday isn’t it neat?” asked Annie.

“It sure is,” said Rowlf.

Kermit interrupted them to give Rowlf the phone so he could share his news with Felicia and Marie who both said they’d be out on the next flight to Hensonville.

Finally he headed back to Wanda’s room where both her and their baby had been cleaned up. Annie came with him holding Ashley.

“Hi Wanda,” said Annie quietly.

“Annie! Is that yours?” asked Wanda gesturing to the bundle she was holding.

“Yes, this is Ashley,” said Annie.

“Well, this is your brother, Alexander Moe,” said Wanda.

“Oh! He’s so sweet!” said Annie.

Kermit came to the door.

“I hate to interrupt this family moment, but the gang is going to take off. We’ll meet the baby later. I just was wondering if you’d like a family picture,” asked Kermit.

“Yeah, that would be nice,” said Wanda.

Rowlf sat on one side of Wanda who was holding Alexander. Annie sat on the other with Ashley.

“Say cheese!” said Kermit.

”Cheese!” they all said as he snapped the photo. He then headed for the door.

“Hey Kermit?” asked Rowlf.

“Yeah Rowlf?” asked Kermit.

“Thank you again. For everything,” said Rowlf. Kermit knew he meant for everything over the past two years, not just for that day.

“You’re welcome. Anytime,” said Kermit and left the room.

“You know something? I really feel complete now. This is how my life was meant to be,” said Rowlf.

“Me too,” said Wanda.

“Same here,” said Annie.

All three of them had been lost souls at one point and were somehow brought together and it was no accident. Never again would any of them feel lonesome, sorrowful or pain. They had each other.

“This is the way it’s meant to be,” said Rowlf once again. Life really was good.

The End.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Oh that was such an AWESOME chapter! I loved it, Beth! Fozzie and Kermit panicking, too funny... Destination: Baby, awesome. Annie and Wanda's kids having the same birthdays, and then Gonzo's following line, how awesome! But my favorite line was this:
“I can’t. I changed my mind, it’s just going to have to stay in there, I really can’t do it,u201D said Wanda.
Oh, I laughed SO hard at that one...

Great chapter Beth- PSH, what am I saying? Great STORY, Beth! Great SERIES, Beth! I had a great time reading through it all! Thanks for writing it for us!

Oh, and can't wait to see what you come up with next! :wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Gaaaaaaaaa! *Hugs Beth, thanking her for the story so great that it defies any portmanto adjectives of self-creation.
*Collapses on the ground hugging the full Rowlf's Stories in one arm, with Sadie's Stories in the other.

ISH!