The Passion of the Christ

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Do I think the film would have had less of an effect had it been less violent? Yes, and here is why: so many tims do we see religious films that are, in effect, boring. They tell the story, making no -- if not hardly -- any attempts at really showing us the pain; the tragedy; the guilt; and, ultimately, the un-dying love and affection.

What "The Passion of the Christ" doesis allow us to revel in human emotion. Yes it's violent, but the violence onlym akes it that much stronger. With every bone-crunching sound, we feel Jesus's pain. With every flesh-gouging whip, we share in his torment. With every ounce of blood he loses, we shed a tear. And throughout this ordeal, with every bit of faith, strength and unconditional love he produces, we feel him as human being, and share in his triumph.

Jesus was a great man; he "is" a great man. Jesus Christ is the ultimate epitome of love, strength and courage. No matter what happened, he stuck by what he believed to be true. And thus, by he end of the film, it is his triumph, not his defeat, that shall be rewarded. Through his masterful direction, Mel Gibson portrays this in such a beautiful way; so beautiful -- almost Heavenly -- that it simply defies what we had always learned about matters of the heart.

"The Passion of the Christ" is a beautiful film. It is also an extremely violent and gory film. But the violence only underscores the emotion and heartache. After seeing this movie, I left the theater in awe, practically in dis-belief of everything I had just witnessed (In fact, I could barely speak during the next ten minutes).

If not for the huge amount of violence, we would not have had the build-up for what would eventually become a streaming river of human emotion and heart-ache. It would have been easy for Mel Gibson to lessen the intensity of the violence, but then he would be risking slf-pity; a feeling of self-pity for Jesus. And in a film such as this, we don't want to pity Jesus. We want to love him. To embrace him. To invite him into our hearts. And how do we do this? By feeling what he felt. By experiencing the injusties carried out against him. By eventually soaring with him on eagle's wings up to Heaven; up to where there's no pain; no fear; just love.

And that's what we should all aspire for; what we should all "aspire" to be. He taught us that love -- great, powerful, un-conditional love -- is the ultimate triumph. It is the ultimate gift. That something as awesome as this should not be automatically considered wrong, but rather it should be accepted and celebrated. That taking in younger children is alright, as long as it's in an innocent fashion. This is not innapropriate. It's love. Pure and Godly love.
Thus, "The Passion of the Christ" is not only about Jesus. Thus, "The Passion of the Christ" is about society in general and its hang-ups on certain issues.

And thus, Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" deserves nothing but the highest praise.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
Wow, thanks. It's nice to hear that is was so powerful. Mel Gibson is talented from what I've heard, but I've never seen any of the movies he has directed. They're all rated R, I think, and I don't see rated R films. That's exactly why I haven't seen this one! Sure sounds like it changed the way a lot of people though, though.

Whatever

Reaction score
Beebers said:
*laughing* lol. Life gets messy, sometimes. Them bananas, tough to train but worth it.

Entendres, anyone? No? Just thought I'd ask. *still laughing*.

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Ah, you meant zee monkeys . . . j/k
I thought he meant my little brother...