The Passion of the Christ

tomahawk

Reaction score
Beebers said:
I'm the granddaughter of an Episcopal minister who had his own church. My mother, (his daughter) was deeply religious due to her upbringing; my father was agnostic due to his very harsh, religion-based upbringing. My mother had us in church every Sunday of our growing-up. My father, an environmen-
talist, took us to the natural world and said here is your evidence of God, should such a thing exist.
I consequently grew up with warring parental factions, a resultant open mind, and it so happens that I choose not to spend time in church. I personally have no need of any organized entity to reinforce or buttress my faith or beliefs, which happen to run quite deep.
I fully understand and respect the things that places of worship offer to many, and I have no trouble with that. I am however deeply troubled by anyone of any faith who does not offer the same in return to those unlike themselves, and those who predict dire spiritual consequences for those who differ from themselves.
I do not and never have held that any faith or set of beliefs is to be imposed by anyone upon anyone. Intelligence, education and exploration of faith and faiths will lead anyone, on their own initiative, to what is correct for them; and I believe it is incumbent upon human beings to do so, rather than to blindly accept ANYTHING.
I do not accept that Christianity, whose base and roots dwell in Judaeism, is imprimatur or permission for non-acceptance of each other. In fact, I drew precisely the opposite conclusion. Harshness, cruelty, violence, human superiority, judgementalism and intolerance should never be allowed to hide behind the voluminous and all-too-handy skirts of any faith. Yet it still goes on daily, throughout the world, despite the dangerous folly that history has long taught us it is.
And I feel this thread should end right here. Beautiful.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
tomahawk said:
And I feel this thread should end right here. Beautiful.
You know what? I can agree with you on that. Religion and faith is primarily a spiritual matter, not intellectual. We've stated what we believe and that's that. :attitude:

Peace and farewell to you all.

leliebel

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
You know what? I can agree with you on that. Religion and faith is primarily a spiritual matter, not intellectual. We've stated what we believe and that's that. :attitude:

*huggles you too*

tomahawk

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:

Look, I'm sorry if I offended anyone in here. I respect all of your beliefs and positions on things. Sometimes emotions run higher than they should. We all defend what we think is right and don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing at all. So I wish everyone peace, love and much Muppety goodness.

James Hemstead

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Skeet said:
. Think about it how did we even get here. if their is no god but man how did u end up here? or if we evolved from Monkeys! wouldn't of all the monkeys evolved? I guesse i'm just trying to make u think.
I've been staying way, way, WAY out of this discussion, mostly because I've had it at work and I walk away feeling like I just beat my head against the wall.

However, statements like the one I quoted from Skeet make me want to scream and beat someone ELSE'S head against a wall. Clearly, anyone who makes the argument that evolution doesn't happen simply because monkeys and Homo sapiens exist at the same time doesn't understand the process at all!

Skeet, you can defend your faith. I have no problem with that. To each his own. But if you're going to argue against evolution, learn about it first. There are dozens -- hundreds of books about the scientific basis of evolution. There are books that explain it very simply, and others that go deeply into explanation. Look up mutation. And no, I'm not talking about the X-Men.

Take your own advice, and think. God won't smite you for learning.

Having said my peace, I depart.

Jen

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
:cool: Hiya. I went to see this movie,when it first came out.My,my,my.To me,the really violent scenes were the scourging scene(Jesus is flogged) & his crucifixion(the audience reaction to these scenes were so genuine).I can't imagine for any given thought,what it was actually like to have gone through that whole trying time,for everyone,mostly for Jesus.I myself am a born-again Christian,and now restudying the Bible.I am also working in a warehouse,shipping books.During work today,I noticed the book The Passion,a illustrated book of Mel Gibson's movie.While looking through it,at the pics,I came across the scourging scene pics(during & after) & had flashbacks of the movie.I'll never forget that movie,its an ever-fixed mark on my conscious,forever. :smirk:

Drum Eater

Reaction score
I admit I haven't seen this film and probably won't, but the music is absolutely amazing!

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Passion of the Christ is an awesome film; after I saw it, I literally could not speak, only managing to mutter out whispers of "wow." Yes, it is extremely extremely violent, and one shouldn't see it if they are the "least" bit squeamish. But the way it's directed ... the underlying meaning and beauty ... the sweepingly gorgeous and Heavenly and melodic music ... Passion is nothing short of miraculous.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
I still haven't seen this film, but I just bought the soundtrack. I can tell it must be a very powerful film. The music alone had me on the edge of tears. The music is amazing, truly amazing. John Debney did an awesome job!