The Problems with Modern Sesame Street

Worst problem with Sesame in the past 20 years?

• Total voters

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean even with his retirement, the Brown AM pattern would still often be used for other characters. So creating new characters with real life human flesh skin tones that are a big part of their characters isn’t anything new.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Children don't need Sesame Street to learn anymore. The show has been growing more infantile and overly PC. At this point there's no point for them to keep going. This is just my opinion but I really hope the show doesn't make it to season 60.
Sesame has been "PC" since 1969. It literally airs on PBS, a network conservatives want defunded.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
It’s also worth mentioning every Muppet character that has real-life human flesh skin tones also at least has a specific nationality identified to their race rather than just being “black” or “Asian” etc.

Elijah and Wes are African-American, Ji-Young is Korean-American and TJ is Filipino-American.

Probably not likely to happen but I actually would love it if Sesame Street had an Irish-American Muppet with their Ireland culture referenced to them.

WazzupMyBoyz

Reaction score
Another problem was that between seasons 43 and 45, some of the street stories had ideas that weren't good enough. Take episode #4515 for example. You can't let a plant into preschool! Another example can be episode #4424, where the you-know-who that was Zoe's rock friend historically got married to her.

MWoO

Reaction score
I think having Muppet characters that are based on actual races defeats the purpose of having Muppet characters. Sesame Street has always been diverse with its human cast. It's imp[ortant for a show like Sesame Street to have a truly diverse human cast so that kids can see all kinds of people interacting. A kid in NYC will be used to diversity, but a child in the middle of Nebraska may not be.

However... The Muppet characters are supposed to be relatable to everyone, regardless of race. That is the point of having monsters and "Anything Muppets". Instead of focusing on specific racial issues, you can tell an allegory through Muppets which is far easier for a child to understand. You can tell a story about prejudice without singling out a specific race as the victim or the perpetrator. You can show cultural diversity the way Sesame Street always has, by showing real people in real settings. Having Muppets that are specifically identified as different races defeats the purpose of having Muppets on Sesame Street to begin with and runs the risk of inadvertently alienating some groups. The Muppets on Sesame Street shouldn't be black, white, Asian, etc.

TheRealFraggle

Reaction score
hopefully you will too
That's maybe taking things a little bit too far. Okay it definitely is. This is the worst thing either of us has said in the entire history of you and me fighting. You don't tell a person to burn in **** because they insulted Elmo. If you're practically an adult and still defending Elmo this fiercely, you might be a little pathetic.