The Random Fun Facts Thread

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
-- Dr Seuss coined the word "nerd" in his 1950 book If I Ran the Zoo
So that's where it's from! I knew the term was first used in one of his books, but I wasn't sure which one.

*A pair of twins were separated and named Jim by two different sets of adoptive parents both divorced women named Linda and both had second wives named Betty.

unclematt

Reaction score
Suburbia. :stick_out_tongue: One of those little towns named after trees; about 20 minutes away from the city. (but 5 minutes away from the airport. :stick_out_tongue: Gets annoying, but I digress...) Lived in Edgewater until I was seven though.

-- Badminton used to be called Poona
-- In the next 7 days, 800 Americans will be injured by jewelry.
-- Dr Seuss coined the word "nerd" in his 1950 book If I Ran the Zoo
I live in Brookfield. How far away from me do you live? We should do something Muppety together.

There are aproximately 200 billion stars in the Milky Way Galaxy, And aproximately 0 stars in a Mily Way bar.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
The months July and August were named in honour of Julius and Augustus Caesar respectively.

yetiman

Reaction score
And your a Cubs fan. You make me happy. You are right though. There are no better or bigger fans than Chicago fans.
Hey, great to know there are more Chicago fans around! Go Cubbies!

My random fact: The phrases "toe the line" and "cross the line" both come from the British House of Commons, where there are two lines drawn in front of the benches on each side of the chamber. The majority sits on one side, while the opposition sits on the other. Traditionally, the lines are two sword lengths apart (so no member could harm another during heated debate), and members are not allowed to 'cross the line'--otherwise they've gone too far. If they do what the party wants, then they speak a lot in favor of its policies, standing up with their toes on the line, or 'toeing the party line'.

unclematt

Reaction score
Random Fact: The film Scent of a Woman is set during Thanksgiving

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Walt Disney considered building Disneyland here in Louisiana. (w00t!)

unclematt

Reaction score
The first cloned mammal was a sheep named Dolly in honor of singer Dolly Parton. The cell used to clone the sheep was the mammory cell. I will leave you to figure out the connection.