The RHLC!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Be prepared in the morning for possible rant/clearing of head in morning. Cause then I can type normally when on the computer.  this lil guy isn't that great at typing.

Kiki

Reaction score
KIKI I MISSED YOU TOO SORRY THAT MY REPLY IS ONCE AGAIN VERY LATE! :eek:

So, I have to paint a portrait for art of myself or someone I know. I'm going to cheat a little bit and bring in a photo of Richard...which one do you think I should paint? It'd probably be best if there wasn't a puppet in it, though I could edit it out.
Hey MBM! It's so nice to see you! :smile: Aww, I've missed you too! And hey- no hurry, I know you have a bit on your plate. :smile: Btw, I have a new email, I'll PM it to you.

Well, my favourite Richard picture is the classic one with him wearing his grey hat and holding Scooter. Although that has a muppet in it- hmmm. But I do love his expression on his face in that picture. And also an ealy photo (black and white) with a young Richard and Gladys. Sorry, that prolly isn't much help. XD When your done (no hurry, though!) I'd love to see it!

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Thanks guys. :smile: I'll probably end up editing Scooter out of that one picture with the hat.

Or maybe the one on the motorcycle. Hm...I'll post it up when I'm done. Though, I tried to draw him from memory today in class, and it went disastrously, so don't expect much. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks guys. :smile: I'll probably end up editing Scooter out of that one picture with the hat.

Or maybe the one on the motorcycle. Hm...I'll post it up when I'm done. Though, I tried to draw him from memory today in class, and it went disastrously, so don't expect much. :wink:
The one with the hat is great too, my only concern would be that I've seen it used a lot on the Web and I'd go for something different. But if you chose it, that's perfectly fine. :smile: The motorcycle shot is great too since it's full body.

Good luck!

Kiki

Reaction score

Ah, that's alright Marianne. :smile: I don't know about you, but I find it really hard to draw males. X/ Not sure why! Anyway, I'm currently working on my major art piece at school, too. I was a little stuck fer inspiration at first, but in the end I just did something in my own style and my own way and I'm actually really happy with it. ^^ *Shut up Katie, shut up... XP). Anyway, awesome choices, and good luck!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Interestingly, the early Disney full length cartoons (Snow White etc) often had that problem; the animators said they had trouble drawing male characters. Which is why you don't see them much in the story.

Good luck on both of your art pieces, guys!

I'm so happy, hehe, last night I went to a Paley Center event on how opera has been used in popular culture (commercials, TV shows etc). At one point they showed Rene Fleming singing on Sesame Street. So during the Q&A session, I asked if the panelists were familiar with the Sesame Street character Placido Flamingo, which of course was designed to introduce kids to opera. They did seem to have heard of him and were pleased I brought it up!

A few minutes later another audience member, who seemed to be a teacher, asked the panelists if they approved of character like Placido Flamingo or if they thought teachers should instead just take their kids to see an actual opera. The panelists said both were great ideas and anything to get kids interested should be encouraged. I hope Richard was proud of me, hehe. :wink:

It's great then that Placido is featured a couple times on SesameStreet.org!

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
That's true, the princes tended to make only minor appearances, and they were always dashing and debonair, with all the personality of cardboard.

Ah, Renee Fleming - years ago, she played Desdemona alongside Placido Domingo's Othello. These days she's the host of the live broadcasts from the Met; goes backstage and interviews the tenor and the soprano during the intermissions. I'll bet that Richard would have liked working with her.

And good to see that you brought up Placido Flamingo - it does sound like the panelists were pleased...and Richard was too, of course.

I just got a good book on opera from the library; it's called "Bravo! A Guide to Opera for the Perplexed." It goes into everything, from the major international schools and the big composers, to the story behind Peaches Melba, and why the soprano has her hair down when she's losing her marbles (which is pretty much mandatory in most operas).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And good to see that you brought up Placido Flamingo - it does sound like the panelists were pleased...and Richard was too, of course.

I just got a good book on opera from the library; it's called "Bravo! A Guide to Opera for the Perplexed." It goes into everything, from the major international schools and the big composers, to the story behind Peaches Melba, and why the soprano has her hair down when she's losing her marbles (which is pretty much mandatory in most operas).
Hehe, thanks. I also mentioned that Placido Flamingo was probably my first exposure to Opera, I think they appreciated that. :wink:

For me, I respect Opera as an art form, but I honestly have trouble getting into it. It's just one of those things where you have to catch it at the right moment. I learned all about the opera Carmen in middle school and loved it. And I thought some of the sentiments in Ernani (the first opera I saw live) were amazing. And as a Marx Brothers fans I can't help but love Il Trovature now, lol.

At the Paley event, they talked about how little snippets from Opera are always being used in TV commercials, partially because there's no copyright to worry about. The speakers thought it was interesting that basically the commercials have to showcase that one emotional moment from an opera in a 30 second spot, essentially skipping the rest of the show! Still, I say however people get exposed, it's worth it. :smile:

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
...well, not much of a rant really. Most of my steam has already been let off in other fashions so I'm good now. My menu consists of:

* Roast Beef or Roast Chicken
* Roasted potatoes
* Corn
* Green Beans
* Hard rolls w/ butter pats
* Sweet/Unsweet tea, Lemonade, various sodas
* Beer

That's a nice menu isn't it?

There's a couple of other things that I've forgotten now....Oh yeah!

* Wedding Cake for dessert
* Crackers and Cheese platter for Hor's De Ourvres

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
:smile:I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better Sara. Naturally I speak for us all.

It's good that you're eating well and I trust you won't overdo the beer. Please remember to drink plenty of water as well. That's very important. :smile: