The sad state of Muppet Movies since Jim Henson's death

beaker

Reaction score
Agreed. I hate to see it, but I feel those individuals who only see the Muppets as old nostalgia, has beens, kiddy fodder, never gonna come back, etc are not real fans. Real fans while really having a deep appreciation of the rich 50 year legacy are also looking towards the future.

That said, for those who say they dont wanna see the Muppets go edgy? Ha! Theyve always been...just only at certain times were they really out there...examples of some unrefutable evidences of the Muppets just really being ahead of their times/and or edgy:

Sex and Violence: The Muppet Show pilot(1974)
Jim Henson Hour(you think VMC had 'inuendo'? hehe)
Jim Frawley Screen Test(1978)
The Land of gorch(Saturday Night Live 1975-1976)

Anyways, my biggest hope for the Muppets is that JHC really pushes forward some astonishingly out of the box ideas...Ive already mentioned some of my ideas.

One thing though that is a must: FOCUS! No more classic tales retold(MCC, MTI, Muppet Classic Theatre, Cinderelmo, Frog Prince, Hey Cinderella!) No more non cohesive half attempts(KSY, VMC)

And I cannot stress this enough: ACTUAL REAL LIFE LOCATIONS!

Cleopigtra

Reaction score
I don't want you to think I think of the Muppets only in a nostalgic sense. Like all of you, I get really excited when any new Muppet thing (movie, action figure, tattoo design, etc.) comes out. It's just that in seeing how some of the films from MTI on, have left me wondering what the writers have been thinking. These people must love the Muppets as much as us to work on these projects. It just seems to me that they have in some ways forgotten why they fell in love with them in the first place. You definitelly hit the nail on the head when you said real place locations. I disagree with the statement by Scooter (which I'm hoping was a metaphor) about cutting Janice's hair. Do you not remember the shag look Sam was sporting in the theater in VMC?

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cleopigtra
Do you not remember the shag look Sam was sporting in the theater in VMC?
Let's not talk about that:wink:

But yes, real life locations! At least KSY had a real swamp.

Finally, I think the Electric Mayhem needs to get out of the late 60's/early 70's and get some new threads.

Im thinking a shiny silver space goth look...maybe even an 80's new wave style? I dont know, but the 70's gotta go!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Janice's hair

Janice's current hair style made it's debut in 1984's Muppets Take Manhattan. It reflected the 80s sense of style and she's been trapped with the retro do ever since. I don't see many women (over the age of seven years old) sporting such a style which turns it into a hair-don't. I wish they would just let her hair down. Some have wondered if the ponytail keeps her locks out of her face, but there are other ways to achieve that.

About Sam's hair in the special. It seems the only ones who take issue with the tupe are the younger crowd that didn't get that it was a joke. A sight-gag for one scene. He wasn't wearing the hair piece at the end. I hardly think they will keep it in any future films. He was just a bald eagle experimenting with Propecia and hair pieces. Geez. LOL! Poor guy. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
Re: Janice's hair

Originally posted by frogboy4
Janice's current hair style made it's debut in 1984's Muppets Take Manhattan. It reflected the 80s sense of style and she's been trapped with the retro do ever since. I don't see many women (over the age of seven years old) sporting such a style which turns it into a hair-don't.
*Note to the world: Please ban the following words
in the new year:

Hair-Don't
H*lla
Don't Go There
"quotes"
LOL

Btw, I thought Sam's hair mop toupee was a great sight gag...just glad its not a permanent fixture:wink:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Re: Re: Janice's hair

Originally posted by beaker

Hair-Don't
H*lla
Don't Go There
"quotes"
LOL

"quotes" do u mean the word or the marks???? :confused:

beaker

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Janice's hair

Originally posted by sarah_yzma
"quotes" do u mean the word or the marks???? :confused:
Oh, I mean for instance in real life, when your trying to be sarcastic, bending your fingers to emphasize something.

Like:

Oh...sure...you "forgot" to clean the kitchen...riiiiiight. :wink:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
oh i "get it"

sorry

i thought you only used one ' though

Gonzo

Reaction score
Sam was also "bald" in the MasterCard commercials, so the rug was indeed a temporary sight gag....

Quinnnnnnnnnn

Thijs

Reaction score
No more LOL

Originally posted by beaker
*Note to the world: Please ban the following words
in the new year:

LOL

Hey guys! Somebody agrees with me! Emmy, Byron!

about the after-Jim period:

everybody is talking about the movies. But I find the tv-shows more important then movies. So yes, it was better in the old days.

about the movies: I don`t like the Caper, but the other two are great! But sorry, my favourite movie is The Carol. I watched it this christmas, like every christmas, and I have to say no other muppet-movie makes me laugh that much, and is the only movie of all the movies I have seen in my life (including Bambi!) that makes me cry (Bless us all). And those songs are great too. Treasure Island is a great movie too, but I hate the songs! Especially when the kid sings! I hate singing children!!! I should see Space again to have an opinion about it.

The most terrible thing that happened after Jim`s dead is that Kermit lost his original voice. Everybody is always praising Steve Withmire for his Kermit, but it`s terrible! OK, it sounds good, but where is the cynical kermit, who made me laugh so much. Kermit has become some kind of hero, an American Dream.