The Videogame Thread

Redsonga

Reaction score
I finally got a HD for my X-Box 360, now I can finally play Viva Piñata and Blue Dragon and save :big_grin:!

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I got a new TV (well, new to ME) and set up a small gaming area. Right now I only have the Gamecube plugged in, but I'm hoping my grandma will let me borrow my grandpa's old Atari Pong :big_grin:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get that new ghostbusters game that comes out in June. It's supposed to take place in 1991, I think.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get that new ghostbusters game that comes out in June. It's supposed to take place in 1991, I think.
I still wish they did that animated DTV movie instead.... I'd rather sit back and watch something than have to play it through. Plus, I have no desire to pick up any of these game systems that it's available for.

Anyway, I might as well move the subject to something else. I've always enjoyed cartoons based on video game properties... so my question is, Is it just me, or can mega Man NOT catch a break when it comes to an animated version? Sure, the potential is there... lots of potential... but you don't really see it. On Captain N, he was turned into Peepye (one of Popeye's nephews), in his 1995 series, he basically had to go through American cartoon cliches of the 80's, 10 years too late, NT Warrior was basically just Digimon with his character stamped on it, and Star Force? I couldn't even get through half an episode. I mean, Sonic had 4 series, and only one gets major flack from fans (Underground.... having triplets all voiced by Urkel I could see through...I liked Manic, myself...but was their any call for them to be musicians?)... Mega Man's best animated work was arguably Captain N and the 1995 series... which is sad, really.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Hmm.. well, I don't know much about Mega Man and I honestly never played the games... but I can comment on the Legend of Zelda cartoon. You could look at Link as he is now, then look back, and wonder how they could be the same characters. I mean, they made him into some kind of playboy with an annoying catch phrase ("Well, excuuuuuuse me, Princess!") :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Zelda was a fine cartoon for the era and the company, but I think the Link and Zelda episodes of Captain N are much, much better. What bugs me is that all these so called gamers nowadays expect every video game based cartoon to be an anime. And honestly, their track record hasn't been that good either. F-Zero was the dullest thing I've ever seen... sort of a cross knockoff of Robotech and Speed Racer with no charm from the other 2 series in it. I am diappointed there hasn't been a Link anime at all (Mario starred in a Japanese movie and a series of DTV Reading Rainbow style animated projects where the characters were plunked into Japanese and Western Fairy Tales). Of course, I like his Captain N design a LOT more than that little Elfin guy Nintendo uses all the time.

That said, I still say the best Videogame based cartoon has to be Earthworm Jim. They managed to make it not a blatant commercial, yet keep the spirit of the game series... plus, it was good enough to stand alone as a cartoon series. Too bad they didn't give it a good chance on its second season, though.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I'm all happy cause I beat Kingdom Hearts 2 and that's totally awesome.

I love Kingdom Hearts it's like one of my favorite game series.

Before that the last game I beat was Super Mario Bros DS, which by the is a fun game. And I stated over my Pokemon pearl edition just because I wanted to.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm all happy cause I beat Kingdom Hearts 2 and that's totally awesome.

I love Kingdom Hearts it's like one of my favorite game series.

Before that the last game I beat was Super Mario Bros DS, which by the is a fun game. And I stated over my Pokemon pearl edition just because I wanted to.
I love Kingdom Hearts, but I seem to be one of the few fans that like it for its Disney elements more than anything. How it took Disney characters and gave an epic linked together feeling to their worlds. I just wish with the games they had used totally different Disney worlds in each one in place of reusing the same ones and adding a few that were new :sympathy:...

But I am not a fan of the whole clone of Sora's heart plot that so many fans seem to be in love with now, I really don't care about 13 cardbroad cutout villainy like characters; when a new game could have Sora and the gang and new Disney worlds:excited:

Xerus

Reaction score
That said, I still say the best Videogame based cartoon has to be Earthworm Jim. They managed to make it not a blatant commercial, yet keep the spirit of the game series... plus, it was good enough to stand alone as a cartoon series. Too bad they didn't give it a good chance on its second season, though.
I agree that the Earthworm Jim cartoon was cool. With it's original human and Jim's childlike view of the world. And I always like when they take a break from the adventure and show what another villain does when he or she isn't battling Jim.