The Way Things Were - SST FanFic

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
This is great Beth.
I must admit I was shocked for a moment when you described Cookie's body as lifeless in Chapter 2. But I saw that you did not mean 100% lifeless.
I hope his memory starts coming back asap.

Java

Reaction score
Hey Beth, hoping for an update and just keeping this from getting lost on the second page. Hope things are going well right now.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Thanks Melissa, I hope to get back into this real soon, been a busy week at work with my having had two vacation days last weekend.

Java

Reaction score
Oh, I'm sorry that you have to play catch up. Hopefully the vacation days were very relaxing.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten this story and I'm not going to abandon it, just have had some busy days as of late. I hope to get an update up sometime this week. :smile:

Java

Reaction score
I understand Beth. Take your time as you need it.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Finally an update! Here you go!

Narration:

Yes, I know you’re probably wondering, what happened after Oscar ran out of the hospital? Don’t worry, I’m getting to that. Did you need to stop and tie your shoe? I can wait. I’ll tell you about Oscar while we’re stopped here.

Chapter Five:

Maria ran out looking for Oscar and didn’t have to real far to find him.

“Oscar! There you are!" exclaimed Maria when she found him huddled by a dumpster.

“How far could I go, I don’t have a car!" responded Oscar.

Maria knelt down next to him.

“Oscar, this isn’t your fault, we know you didn’t do this on purpose ok?" said Maria.

“Look, maybe it would be better if I didn’t go back to Sesame Street with you guys. I could live in this dumpster here, it’s not a bad place," said Oscar.

“Oscar, don’t be silly, we’re going to get through this. I know it seems difficult right now, but we will get through this together," said Maria.

“I don’t know Skinny. Your daughter seemed pretty upset up there. All of you did. Grouches appreciate anger and disliking things, but not torture. I don’t know if I could handle being around everyone when they’re like that," said Oscar sounding very sincere and almost like a normal person.
“It won’t always be like this though. Cookie is fine, he has his memory issues but we’ll work through that. The important thing is that he’s alive and you’re alive and here with us. Eventually things will return to normal, you’ll see," said Maria.

Oscar didn’t say anything but reached for Maria’s hand to help him stand up.

“Let’s go find Luis and Gabi and we’ll go back to Sesame Street for the night ok?" asked Maria.

“Ok," said Oscar.

Maria felt satisfied that she had gotten through to Oscar and smiled when he even accepted her hug when they dropped him off at his trash can upon arriving back at Sesame Street. This was after we’d all left the courtyard and it was a peacefully quiet evening.

It was too quiet for Oscar though, he found the silence to be deafening. He wanted to scream, he wanted to yell, he wasn’t sure what he wanted. So he just curled up with Slimey and Fluffy and tried to go to sleep.

By morning I had forgotten how small Grover’s little bed was and found a furry blue arm flopped over my face.

I almost forgot where I was and why I was there and then I remembered, Cookie Monster had a serious accident.

“Grover," I whispered trying to get him to move.

“I am Su-per Grover, I can leap tall buildings with a single bound," responded Grover obviously dreaming.

“GROVER!" I said a little more loudly. I was starting to get a crick in my neck from his tiny little bed.

“Mmph…yawn…oh good morning Froggy Baby," said Grover finally waking up and moving his arm.

“Morning Grover, I hate to rush off, but I think I’d like to try to go the hospital to see Cookie Monster," I said hopping out of the bed and starting to gather my things.

“Oh wait, Froggy, my mommy will want to make you some breakfast before you go," said Grover.

“Ok," I sighed. I was worried if I stayed that Grover would try to come with me. And of course, I was right.

“Thank you for a lovely breakfast, I should get going now," I said and stood up to head for the door.

“You are welcome Kermit, always nice to see Grover’s friends," said Grover’s Mommy.

“Wait! Froggy I am going with you," said Grover.

“Grover I am not sure if that’s such a good idea," I said.

“But of course it is a good idea! The more of Cookie Monster’s friends that come to see him the sooner he will get back his memory," said Grover.

I didn’t have the heart to tell him it might not be that simple. Then again, maybe he was on to something.

“All right, you can come. But I don’t think we should bring too many of the gang along, I’m sure the hospital has rules," I said.

“Oh boy! Thank you froggy!" said Grover toppling me over with a hug.

Fortunately Grover understood me when I said we shouldn’t invite too many others so we were only joined by Ernie and Bert. I was relieved, especially when Elmo, Abby, Zoe and some of the others are a little too young to go and might not understand that.

“Do you think he looks any different Bert?" asked Ernie as we stood in line for the bus.

“I don’t think so Ernie, a head injury doesn’t exactly change the look of your body," said Bert.

“Besides that, Gordon and Susan said he really is only suffering from the memory loss, I’m sure it’s not that bad," I said. I was optimistic.

When we arrived at the hospital they let us go in two at a time similar to the day before. Nothing could’ve prepared me for what I saw when I walked into the I.C.U.

Cookie was hooked up to a number of IV’s and tubes. His head was wrapped in a huge bandage. He had patches of blue fur missing from his body and in it’s place were bruises and scrapes. He was awake, but his googly eyes had no spark in them and he just stared straight ahead.

“Froggy?" whispered Grover. He looked scared.

“It’s ok Grover," I said though I wasn’t really sure myself. I slowly walked over to Cookie Monster.

“Hey there Cookie, it’s me, Kermit the Frog," I said.

Cookie didn’t say anything.

“You don’t remember me do you?" I asked.

“No, I am sorry I don’t. Who is that other fellow?" asked Cookie looking over to Grover.

“I am Grover, one of your fellow cute and fuzzy blue monster friends," said Grover.

“Oh, ok," said Cookie sounding bored.

“How are you feeling?" I asked at a loss as to what else to say.

“Tired, I can’t stay awake. And my head hurts," said Cookie. It was at this point that I realized he was not speaking the way he normally did. He really wasn’t the same monster.

“Do the doctors give you anything that helps with that?" asked Grover.

“Yes, but then I just sleep more," said Cookie.

It was quiet in the room at this point.

“So do you live on the street that I am supposed to be from?" asked Cookie breaking the silence.

“Yes and no. I used to live there but now I only come for visits. Grover lives there all the time," I said.

“I see," said Cookie Monster.

We continued to make light small talk until Cookie closed his eyes and fell asleep. He wasn’t kidding when he said he couldn’t stay awake.

“Come on Grover, let’s go get Ernie and Bert so they can visit with Cookie when he wakes up again," I said.

Grover seemed better after we had talked with Cookie awhile. Even though he wasn’t the same Cookie, it was good to see him in person.

We waited for Ernie and Bert to take their turn and soon the four of us were back on the bus again.
“Cookie told us that his doctor said he can probably go home in the next day or two," said Bert.

“What if his memory doesn’t come back before then?" asked Ernie.

“We’ll just have to see what the doctors say, maybe we’ll be able to help him," I said.

We were quiet then until Grover said “If he does not get his memory back and never likes cookies anymore, he might have to change his name.”

Even I didn’t have a response for that.

Java

Reaction score
Oh, poor Grover. And Kermit speechless...

Wonderful update, Beth.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ok, sorry I went to edit something and that darn 201d code showed up again. Ed, is this something Phil is aware of and is there anyway to keep that from happening when we go to edit a post? Just curious.