The Way Things Were - SST FanFic

theprawncracker

Reaction score
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! Kermie! Grover! GAH! SO painful... I must see more... thought I'm not entirely sure I want to... MORE PLEASE!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Ok, sorry I went to edit something and that darn 201d code showed up again. Ed, is this something Phil is aware of and is there anyway to keep that from happening when we go to edit a post? Just curious.
This is very strange Beth. I have never had anything like this happen to me when I've ever edited a post of mine and I've never heard of it happening to anybody else before.:confused: I hope it can be sorted out for you asap.:sympathy:

As for your story, I love how it's going. Good job Beth.:big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished fixing it... And reading. Oh Beth, please post more! Kermit's reactions and everybody else's are done so faithfully...

Catherine did post a thread about the troublesome coding, so Phil knows about it... But I'm not sure there's been anything done to resolve this problem other than mod editing should it show up. What I'd advise is you type your story in a separate Wordpad or Word document, cut and paste it when making the post, and then come back to atempt an edit while the option's still available.
Hope this helps... And I hope for more story soon... Ish?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I do cut and paste from a Word document already. Oh well, will try to catch the errors before I hit "post". :smile: Thanks for fixing it again! Glad you're all enjoying this, should have more up next week sometime.

Java

Reaction score
I do cut and paste from a Word document already. Oh well, will try to catch the errors before I hit "post". :smile: Thanks for fixing it again! Glad you're all enjoying this, should have more up next week sometime.
Beth, I had the same problems cutting and pasting from word when I posted my first chapter after returning.

The interesting thing was that it did not show up in the post prior to my submitting it so...

Ed fixed it for me, though.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Dum-de-dum-dum... Hey, where nice lady go? Me was hoping me could get more of this good story. Oh please! Don't tell monster there no more story! Me need more story! Me post good review for next chapter... Deal?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Sounds like a deal. :smile:

Things are slowing down again at work so I hope to have a chapter up by tomorrow. Have a muffin to tide you over in the meantime.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Muffin? Where muffin? Thank you nice lady.
*Gives Beth a big furry hug. You make sure to post story when you can.
*Devours the baked good with his usual gusto.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Narration:

Yes I know what you’re thinking. I’m Kermit the Frog; I’m supposed to know the right thing to say for everything. Don’t judge me, this was a tough situation. Anyway, sure enough, the doctors soon said that Cookie’s concussion and other injuries had healed enough that he could leave the hospital. He would need to be under supervision, so it was decided he would stay at Gordon and Susan’s for awhile. I remember we got everyone together to throw a big welcome home party hoping it would help jog Cookie’s memory.

Chapter Six:

It was another bright clear sunny day. It really wasn’t unlike the day of the accident. And much like the day of the accident, the courtyard was abuzz with excitement.

“Hey Big Bird, can you hang these streamers up on top of the fence over there?” asked Ernie.

“Sure! I like it that because I’m so big I can be helpful!” exclaimed Big Bird.

Abby was flitting about doing her best to create some pretty glittery dust with her wand, but a few pumpkins still came out.

Bert, Luis and Gordon were blowing up balloons.

“So Cookie Monster is going to stay with you and Susan?” asked Bert to Gordon.

“Yeah, you know Miles is gone visiting my sister for the summer so we figured Cookie could stay in his room for a bit. The doctor doesn’t want him alone right now,” said Gordon.

“That makes sense. Did you tell Miles someone was taking over his room?” asked Luis.

“Yes, I spoke to both him and Olivia on the phone the other night updating them on Cookie’s status. Miles said its fine with him, he just wants Cookie to get better,” said Gordon.

“I think we all do,” said Luis.

Alan was busy baking every kind of cookie he could think of even though with his memory gone Cookie Monster still insisted that he did not like cookies.

Susan had gone to pick up Cookie Monster from the hospital and drive him to Sesame Street. Everyone else continued to help decorate and get things ready while they sat around and waited.

“Elmo is so excited to see furry blue monster again,” said Elmo.

“Me too,” said Zoe.

Gordon overheard them and decided to call everyone together for a quick meeting.

“Ok, before Cookie Monster gets here I want you all to remember what we talked about the other night, Cookie Monster is having trouble with his memory,” said Gordon.

“But wasn’t he at the hospital? Aren’t the doctors suppose to make him better?” asked Big Bird.

“His head is better, but they can’t make his memory come back. It’s just going to have to take some time,” said Gordon.

“But why?” asked Big Bird.

“Just because,” said Gordon.

Everyone was quiet then.

“Hey guys, it doesn’t mean that we can’t still celebrate that Cookie Monster is coming home. Now let’s get out there and make it a special party for him!” I exclaimed realizing that the group needed a little cheering up.

It was all they needed and they all scattered back to getting things ready.

Maria noticed that Oscar wasn’t joining in on the festivities and decided to go and check on him. He’d been pretty quiet over the past few days, but she’d gone to see him everyday and everyday he told her the same thing.

“Maria just please leave me alone,” was his response. This concerned her for two reasons. One, it was not his usual grouchy response of “Scram, get away from here,” and two, she was worried he might need some help to get through this. He wasn’t acting like himself in any way. She told him that Cookie Monster would be coming home and also told him about the party we were throwing but all he said was “no one would want me around anyway.”

So, as we were all gearing up for Cookie’s arrival, Maria decided to go see if she could coax Oscar out of his can and over to join us.

Not long after she walked away we saw Gordon and Susan’s VW driving up to the Courtyard.

“Hey everyone, they’re here!” I exclaimed. I couldn’t help getting excited even though I knew Cookie wasn’t going to be himself.

Soon everyone started crowding around the car. Susan stepped out of the driver’s seat.

“All right everyone, step back and give him some room,” she laughed.

We did as we were told and then Cookie Monster got out of his side of the car.

It suddenly was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

“Well,” Cookie Monster finally said.

“Well what?” asked Elmo hardly able to contain himself.

“This does look like a nice place to live,” said Cookie Monster. Everyone burst out in to applause.

“Welcome home Cookie Monster!” said Bob going over to give him a hug.

“Thank you. Who are you?” he said.

“I’m Bob remember, I visited you at the hospital,” said Bob.

“Oh yeah, you’re the music guy,” said Cookie Monster.

“Furry blue monster! Furry blue monster! Do you remember Elmo?” asked Elmo.

“I’m sorry I don’t little guy. Can you point him out to me?” said Cookie Monster.

“But I’m Elmo!” said Elmo getting confused.

“Then why did you ask me if I remembered him?” asked Cookie Monster.

“Maybe I can explain Cookie Monster, see Elmo is only 3 years old so he often times speaks in third person,” said Gordon.

“Oh, ok,” said Cookie Monster.

“You used to talk kind of funny like too,” said Big Bird.

“That is what they tell me. So maybe this is an improvement?” said Cookie Monster.

“Don’t worry Cookie Monster, we’ll love you no matter how you talk,” said Susan.

She then helped Cookie Monster make his way through the rest of the crowd so he could greet everyone or well, meet everyone. It really was like he was meeting everyone for the first time. His short term memory was not all that great either, he mixed up Ernie and Bert and he called me Kermit the Forg. I made a joke to not even get started on all the words that are similar to “frog” but he didn’t think it was too funny. I made a note to tell him later about the time I tried to buy a Kermit the Frog t-shirt.

Slowly everyone began to enjoy the party, eating Alan’s cookies, and visiting with one another as Cookie started to become familiar with his surroundings.

While this was going on Maria was sitting on the steps of 123 trying to figure out what to do. When she arrived at Oscar’s can, she banged on the lid as she had been doing in the days before, but this time he didn’t open it.

“Oscar? Come on, come out of there please?” she had begged. She finally opened the lid herself and was prepared to grab him out of there when she found a note taped to the top of the lid.

Dear Maria or whoever else finds this,
I need to leave Sesame Street for awhile. It’s just too painful
To be here right now and see all of you hurting over what happened the other day.
I feel responsible in every way for Cookie Monster losing his memory and if he
Is not the same ever again, nothing will ever be the same again and I just can’t
Stay here knowing that I am the cause of it. Even though I am a grouch I understand
What a happy place Sesame Street is supposed to be. I don’t ever want to take way from
That happiness again. I’ll come back someday if I feel I can.
Oscar the Grouch
P.S. Slimey is with me.

Maria was floored. Now she sat on the steps wondering how she would tell the others and what she would do.