1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The "What Seems to Be in Store for Season 43" Thread

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Oscarfan, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

Who are the performers in the Birdwalk Empire sketch??
  2. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I know that Joey Mazzarino did the Nucky Ducky, David Rudman did the blue duck, Frank Oz did Clucky Luciano, and Agent van CooCoo was voiced by the late Jerry Nelson (I think).
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Actually, the Cuckoo was Tyler Bunch.
  4. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Oh thank you.
    Do you know who else did the background characters in this sketch?
  5. Oscarfan

Well, the other chickens don't speak. And the two ducks are Stephanie and Leslie.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

How did you find the segments on sesamestreet.org? Did you just stumple upon them? Considering the site seems to no longer have a "recently added" bar and search results for "season 43" only bring up segments about the four seasons of the year.

These segments are funny. At first I actually thought the Mr. Johnson segment would end with him getting what he ordered (wouldn't it be fitting if Jerry Nelson's last sketch as the character actually ended that way?).

I seem to notice a pattern. These last few years, whenever Frank Oz actually performs a one-shot character, it's always in a parody of something (and with the exception of Mad Men they're parodies of shows I hadn't even heard of).
  7. Oscarfan

I do searches for things that would air. I search the characters, "songs", "letter", "number".
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Do you think Frank has been doing these big spoofs as of late because he's been talking for quite some time about SST not being as hip and clever as it used to be back in the day? I mean, prior to the Mad Men parody, when's the last time he performed a character other than Bert, Grover, or Cookie Monster?
  9. Oscarfan

I think he wants to try new things. I mean, after so many years of being brought in to do three characters, doing some new ones would be a breath of fresh air.
  10. minor muppetz

Even then, it's been ages since he last performed Cookie Monster or Bert. Though he's said in interviews that he really likes Grover because the character just came to him.
  11. D'Snowth

For a while there, he was performing Bert almost exclusively, but it seems that once they ressurrected the whole Grover/Mr. Johnson schtick, that that's when he started performing Grover again.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Those preview videos were a pain to find... but I managed to find them, especially one not listed. There's going to be a remade version of the Loaf of Bread, container of milk, stick of butter cartoon as well. Before someone screams about remakes, I kinda like them. They manage to bring back classic bits that they'd otherwise neglect.

And I'm loving Cookie Monster's Me am What Me Am song. See? They still have character performed song parodies. I am what I am from La Cage Au Folles, if you're asking...

*&&^% my mother's showtunes.
  13. Oscarfan

I just watched that cartoon and it seems redundant to have it, considering the word of the day bit with Eric Stonestreet is already a psuedo-remake of it
  14. minor muppetz

I've been enjoying all the preview clips I've seen so far. After watching "Me Am What Me Am", I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the "Veggie Monster" street story (the site has another clips from that episode as well). I must say, so far it's the best David Rudman as Cookie Monster song so far.

Considering seasons 42 and 43 were in production at the same time, I wonder if they continued making more season 43 segments after season 42 aired, or if they are currently working on seasons 44 and 45. I read on toughpigs a few months ago that Tyler Bunch mentioned Frank Oz being on the set one day, I assume the day I heard about that post (it wouldn't surprise me if that was the day the Birdwalk Empire sketch was taped).

Back when Mad Men was done in season 40, it seemed like a big deal because Frank Oz hadn't performed any one-shot characters in over a decade (and since it was for an anniversary season it felt like an anniversary nod to fans). Then last year Frank did the Heaviest Catch segment and I didn't think that sketch was as good. But now that Frank did this Birdwalk Empire sketch it seems like it might become a tradition for Frank to perform one-shot characters each season. Also, with Mad Men it had been announced in advance that Frank would perform in it, while in these other parodies we didn't know until after we saw the segments (part of me wonders if his performance in the Mad Men sketch should have been kept a surprise).

It is a little interesting. It's been confirmed that Frank only performs on the show one day a year now, and it seems every season he's performed in (I think he skipped season 41) included a pairing between Grover and one of Jerry Nelson's characters, yet these one-shot segments with Frank don't involve Jerry Nelson's voice in any way. I don't think I heard Matt Vogel's voice in any of the segments, either.
  15. D'Snowth

After watching Birdwalk Empire... SST isn't going to stop relying on chromakey anytime soon are they? It just got more and more obvious as it went on.

And, heh, I see even to this day, Frank is still relying on his Bert voice for the one-shot characters, lol.
  16. Oscarfan

It's not like Jim wasn't going that way anyhow. At least the Murray stuff is shot outdoors, which looks awesome.
  17. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.