The "What's That Toon?" Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think we need a thread like this to help identify various different animated shorts, like Disney cartoons, Looney Tunes, DePatite-Freling shorts, etc that have stuck with us since our childhoods, but we can't remember their names or anything.

Like I have a couple to start with, the first of which was a late-period Mickey Mouse cartoon where he and Pluto went out for a beach vacation, but kept getting hassle by a seagull, and in the end, the two of them ended up being chased by an entire flock of them, and the chase lasted well into the night as they ran back into the city, with tons of seagulls squawking behind them the whole time.

The second of which is a Looney Tune where Elmer was having like a baaaaad trip or something, he was hallucinating, ended up being dressed like a woman, Bugs dances him off a cliff where Bugs is able to save himself from his demise by drinking an anti-gravity liquid, while Elmer drops back into consciousness.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I can help you with the second one. It was called The Big Snooze and directed by Bob Clampett. Elmer starts by chasing through a hollow log, but Bugs turns the log so Elmer comes out the other side and almost falls off a cliff. After doing this three times, Elmer announces he's fed up and tears up his Warner Brothers contract and decides from now on it's nothing but fishing "AND NO MORE WABBITS!!!"

Elmer sets up his fishing pole by the lake and drifts off into Dream Land. Bugs wants to get into Elmer's dream, so he takes a whole bottle of sleeping pills (the label says "Take Dese and Dose!" These ten seconds have long since been edited out for obvious reasons) . Bugs enters Elmer's dream and turns it into a psychedelic nightmare.

Elmer gets trampled by rabbits Bugs spits out of an adding machine "SEE? I'm multiplying them!" He gets tied to a train track, and yes, Bugs dresses him up in drag and he gets chased by some Hollywood wolves "HOWOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLDDD is she?!!"

They escape the wolves by jumping off the cliff but Bugs manages to cheat by drinking a bottle of "Hare Tonic" guaranteed to "Stop Falling Hare!"
Elmer plummets to his doom while Bugs looks at us "Gosh, ain't I a stinker?"

Elmer awakes from his nightmare, apologizes to Mr. Warner, puts his torn contract back together, and the cartoon is allowed to continue.
Bugs: "OH, I LOVE that man!" Iris out.

Clampett came up with some really sick stuff that only Tex Avery could match.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can help you with the second one. It was called The Big Snooze and directed by Bob Clampett. Elmer starts by chasing through a hollow log, but Bugs turns the log so Elmer comes out the other side and almost falls off a cliff. After doing this three times, Elmer announces he's fed up and tears up his Warner Brothers contract and decides from now on it's nothing but fishing "AND NO MORE WABBITS!!!"

Elmer sets up his fishing pole by the lake and drifts off into Dream Land. Bugs wants to get into Elmer's dream, so he takes a whole bottle of sleeping pills (the label says "Take Dese and Dose!" These ten seconds have long since been edited out for obvious reasons) . Bugs enters Elmer's dream and turns it into a psychedelic nightmare.

Elmer gets trampled by rabbits Bugs spits out of an adding machine "SEE? I'm multiplying them!" He gets tied to a train track, and yes, Bugs dresses him up in drag and he gets chased by some Hollywood wolves "HOWOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLDDD is she?!!"

They escape the wolves by jumping off the cliff but Bugs manages to cheat by drinking a bottle of "Hare Tonic" guaranteed to "Stop Falling Hare!"
Elmer plummets to his doom while Bugs looks at us "Gosh, ain't I a stinker?"

Elmer awakes from his nightmare, apologizes to Mr. Warner, puts his torn contract back together, and the cartoon is allowed to continue.
Bugs: "OH, I LOVE that man!" Iris out.

Clampett came up with some really sick stuff that only Tex Avery could match.
That's it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8LCoGFr2jM

This brings back some trippy memories, lol.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Toon #1 you mentioned was 1953's The Simple Things, which was the last time you'd see Mickey in a short until 1995's Runaway Brain.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Toon #1 you mentioned was 1953's The Simple Things, which was the last time you'd see Mickey in a short until 1995's Runaway Brain.
I found it, and you're right, but something seems to be missing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwvdMM48FiA

Because I DISTINCTLY remember the chase scene lasting longer, into the night, with the silhouettes of Mickey and Pluto being chased by the seagulls back into the city... or was that added later as a bridge of sorts for one of those retrospective shows they did later, kind of like how they later added new scenes to connect various Donald Duck/Chip n Dale cartoons together?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That's it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8LCoGFr2jM

This brings back some trippy memories, lol.
For some other priceless Clampett moments, check out An Itch In Time (1943)
Not only do they still have the scene where the flea reaches into his pants and pulls out a telescope (hmmmm....), but they have the last three seconds that was edited years ago (can't understand why...) :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ooh... OOH, I just remembered another one...

This one was kind of on the trippy side as well, as I recall... I think it involved Donald Duck having encounters with spirits, or some kind of otherworldly creatures... I think he was hallucinating at the time, I don't remember... just about the only thing I can clearly remember was one of them gave him a handful of red-hot metal, and he starts running around his house screaming in pain from the metal burning his hands.

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
That thing with the metal burning his hands reminds me of Donald Duck And The Gorilla (1944). A gorilla has broken out of the uzoo and was in Donald's house. At one point, he and his nephews snuck around the house to look for the gorilla. Donald got then mad at his nephews' anticsd and while muttering, he held a lit candle to the doorknob. As you can guess, he touches the doorknob and burns his hand.

And that with the spirits reminds me of Trick Or Treat (1952). At one point, Witch Hazel uses some potions to bring nonsentient things to live and they all look like spirits.

But I can't think of a Donald Duck Short involving both things.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Both of those cartoons I know exactly what you're talking about, however, neither one of them is the particular cartoon I'm trying to remember.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, I found a visual aid to help try to identify the cartoon I'm trying to remember:

It's at the 6:29 mark, as Donald runs around the house with the red hot metal in his hands.