Thoughts: A new modern version of THE MUPPET SHOW on Disney Channel?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But then there's people that were popular at the time that, frankly, I've never heard of.
No offence but just because you personally haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're not important. :wink:

My concern isn't who's on the show, but the writing.
I do agree with that. A big reason actors and artists come across well on these kinds of shows is because of the writing.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
No offence but just because you personally haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're not important. .
yes but just because you know them doesn't mean everyone does.

we never know what one person likes or doesnt that we personally do

i dont care for a few of the original Muppet show guest stars ...theres episodes i skip and some ive watched countless times, and some of those quests id never know about if it wasnt for Wiki

i agree with tooth guests shouldn't be limited no matter how long their fame will last....Selena Gomez and Rebecca Black should be given the chance to be a star as much as Florence Henderson was or Billy Crystal....and this current Muppet movie is a prime example of that because they are fighting that very thing, coming back to stardom

but really its all in the writing...they could have some great stars lined up but if the writing is done by Joe Schmo no magnitude of guests and Muppets can save it

Greg Bevier

Reaction score
I know "new" Muppet stuff hasn't been as creative or successful as "The Muppet Show" was, but I think it would be best to avoid trying to revive TMS and come up with something new. Best to leave the original to our memories and advance.

Having said that, I have the three seasons of TMS that are on DVD and my kids, 10 and 7, watch them all the time. The idea that kids will only like something "new" or "familiar" is rubbish. My children's three favorite shows are The Muppet Show, The Flintstones, and The Brady Bunch. Why? Because that is what they have been exposed to. They don't care about the Disney Channel "tween" stuff, because they've never seen it.

I'm not worried that my kids won't fit in because they are the only kids in their school who know who Rudolph Nureyev, Bernadette Peters, and Teresa Brewer are. I'm more worried that they fill their minds with things of higher value and that are smarter than modern "entertainment" has to offer.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I know "new" Muppet stuff hasn't been as creative or successful as "The Muppet Show" was, but I think it would be best to avoid trying to revive TMS and come up with something new. Best to leave the original to our memories and advance.

Having said that, I have the three seasons of TMS that are on DVD and my kids, 10 and 7, watch them all the time. The idea that kids will only like something "new" or "familiar" is rubbish. My children's three favorite shows are The Muppet Show, The Flintstones, and The Brady Bunch. Why? Because that is what they have been exposed to. They don't care about the Disney Channel "tween" stuff, because they've never seen it.

I'm not worried that my kids won't fit in because they are the only kids in their school who know who Rudolph Nureyev, Bernadette Peters, and Teresa Brewer are. I'm more worried that they fill their minds with things of higher value and that are smarter than modern "entertainment" has to offer.
This new Muppet movie is rated PG for "Mild rude Humor" altough in one way I don't really see why it had to be that way but really thinking about it, The Muppets need a PG rating, becuase they're not only aiming at kids but they're also trying to attract the adult crowd that's why the jokes are a little more inappropriate than the original "Muppet Show" but it's really not that bad though.
But we need a show that appeals to adults as well as kids

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Hey, Greg, welcome to muppet central! Yeah, I see what you're saying here. I do think there should be a new Muppets TV show whether it be TMS or something else. I mean, I was introduced to the muppet show at a young age, and I'm now a 17-year old huge Muppets fan!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
This new Muppet movie is rated PG for "Mild rude Humor" altough in one way I don't really see why it had to be that way but really thinking about it, The Muppets need a PG rating,
part of all this has to do with how rating has changed since 1979 and the first Muppet movies...theres stuff in there that today would get it a PG rating..like sexual innuendos some crude language and minor adult themes...yes they are subtle but they are still there.

its not just Muppets either alot of older movies have ratings that by todays standards would increase by one or 2

if anything the reason they aimed for a PG rating with The Muppets is because G is usually reserved for the true Kid movies...and a G rating would make most of the audience not what to see it.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
part of all this has to do with how rating has changed since 1979 and the first Muppet movies...theres stuff in there that today would get it a PG rating..like sexual innuendos some crude language and minor adult themes...yes they are subtle but they are still there
Really? I haven't seen the entire Muppet Movie, I ,missed some parts in the middle, but are there really parts that I missed in there?
That's the reason I love the muppets becuase it's something that attracts kids and adults becuase there are adult jokes that are breif and you would only realize this if you are an adult watching it.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Really? I haven't seen the entire Muppet Movie, I ,missed some parts in the middle, but are there really parts that I missed in there?
i and a good chunk of people here would prob suggest sitting and watching it before you go see this new one...The Muppet movie id say is the prime of Muppet work and an example of Jim Henson's amzingness....now im not saying Kermit drops an F bomb...but there's moments that will be cute and sweet for kids yet as adult you can catch the little hidden moment in it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Exactly. :smile: