Thoughts: A new modern version of THE MUPPET SHOW on Disney Channel?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
i suggest sitting and watching it before you go see this new one...The Muppet movie id say is the prime of Muppet work and an example of Jim Henson's amzingness....now im not saying Kermit drops an F bomb...but there's moments that will be cute and sweet for kids yet as adult you can catch the little hidden moment in it.
I have already seen the new movie. There are some scenes that I sort of got, and i know there is hidden humor, I picked up on most of it. If you have seen the movie I just wanted to ask someone this, and it's really bugging me,
Who's the celeberty that plays Walter's human self? I really want to know

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
i dont think we are talking about the same movies...im talking The Muppet Movie(1979) not The Muppets (2011)
Oh, becuase you did say I should see this before seeing the new one. I want to see the Muppet Movie but I don't really have time to watch the whole thing on Youtube becuase I can't get on to youtube from my computer and when I do I don;t really have time to watch the whole thing. I need to get the DVD. If anyone has a good copy that I can buy please get back to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No offence but just because you personally haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're not important.
I'm an old school pop culture junkie... if I haven't heard of them, I don't think anyone else would. I didn't toss away a lifetime watching television to not become someone who knows 75% of everything. Some people made bigger impacts than others. Some were at the height of their popularity then, and just disappeared... some we remember nostalgically, some became even bigger. Like Stallone... he just came off a certain Boxing movie that would become a staple of pop culture... so much so, the thing has been referenced to death. They once considered Robin Williams who's career was just taking off. Who would have thought the star of a spinoff sitcom with a ridiculous plot would wind up being a multiple award winner and have the huge career he did?

The point is, you never know who's going to be remembered in 10 years, who will make a huge impact, and who we'll just say... "WHO?!?" That's what fame is.

The point is, the Muppets have always seen potential in everybody, and they want everyone who's famous... one hit wonders, future Oscar winners who are only known for being in a show that's popular at the time... as long as we don't get someone cold and awkward to work with.

I will say, as far as Muppets Tonight goes, they DID manage to get people who had careers for quite some time before the show... John Goodman, Billy Crystal, Prince, Martin Short, and Tony Bennett. Strange how most of them hold up better. Can't tell you how much I loved seeing Martin Short reprise Ed Grimley, growing up with that underrated animated "Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley" show.

I'm not worried that my kids won't fit in because they are the only kids in their school who know who Rudolph Nureyev, Bernadette Peters, and Teresa Brewer are. I'm more worried that they fill their minds with things of higher value and that are smarter than modern "entertainment" has to offer.
I ALWAYS knew who Bernadette Peters is. That's what happens when you have a mother that listens to showtunes all the time. Plus, she was the voice of Rita in Animaniacs. Kids MUST watch that somewhere.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm an old school pop culture junkie
So am I. :wink:

Some people made bigger impacts than others.
Granted. But frankly even those one hit wonders from 40 years ago had more talent than a lot of the major players today. And didn't have to resort to cheap thrills to get an audience. :wink:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Granted. But frankly even those one hit wonders from 40 years ago had more talent than a lot of the major players today. And didn't have to resort to cheap thrills to get an audience.
while i sorta agree with you maybe around 20% thats more opinion than fact

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
arnt we all guilty of cheap thrills,tricks and gimmicks though? I've done it, i used to gain friends to help work on stuff by offering pudding, even the Muppets have aimed to do not so ordinary things to gain certain audience members. no one should be alienated from performing no matter if its a youtube song that everyone loves to hate or famous because they are "famous" or those who worked hard....id love to see Rebecca Black or Beiber on the Muppets it could make from random moments poking fun at themselves

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
arnt all guilty of cheap thrills,tricks and gimmicks though?
The entertainment industry is guilty of it more so now than in the past.

no one should be alienated from performing no matter if its a youtube song that everyone loves to hate or famous because they are "famous" or those who worked hard
As we said before, a lot of it depends on if the writing for the guest star is good or if it just continues the industry's steady decline.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate the "everything's terrible" stuff... like a good 50-75% of things are terrible, granted... but that makes the quality stuff shine. The only problems I see are the constant forced reality shows, be they based on people with too much money who are only famous for that reason, cheap stunts that were around over a decade, or cupcakes... I can go on a whole tangent about TLC's circus freakshows, but I won't. The Office, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, and How I Met your Mother are high quality sitcoms. I say HIMYM is genius for finding the middle ground between laughtrack sitcom and deep theatrical looking sitcoms with character development that puts plot over laughs. I'd say HIMYM is the best traditional-esque sitcom since Seinfeld went off the air. Seriously, we got a LOT of garbage replacements since Seinfeld, some very popular. Trends happen, things tend to get better, get worse, stagnate, and get better, starting the cycle again.

Still, I'm confident about the writing, but they need to read the comics. Langridge did some wild voodoo magic on the thing, even improving upon some things, and that needs to be recognized. Hopefully they show won't find a voice an episode away from cancellation like MT. Watch some of the first episodes, and watch some of the last episodes... you'll see it.