TMS fanfic: Masks

Puckrox

Reaction score
I just finished up part six of this story and, oh my god, this story is so fantastic and the last part I read was a little heartbreaking (but in such a good way). I'm still only halfway through but, man, this story's great. And it really helps that you're a great writer. :super:

I look forward to finishing it!

Puckrox

Reaction score
Okay, I'm *finally* all caught up and all I can say is.... wow.

When I first started reading this story I felt almost like I didn't deserve to, because I've never really seen The Muppet Show (yet), but as I continued reading I found that this was more than just a fic about what if TMS was back up and running. This is such a great story, slackbot. You have a really beautiful way of looking at the Muppets; giving them humanizing qualities that we can relate to, while still keeping them the same ol' characters we know and love. I love the backstory you gave Gonzo (it was very fitting for his character), and I'm eagerly awaiting more reveal to Piggy. And the chapter between Kermit and Fozzie was so wonderful to read, as I've always been big on the bear and frog duo. And the Scooter plot is great too (when I pieced the Janken/Scooter thing together I shouted to my roommate about how happy I was, but she didn't really understand).

Anyway, this is getting ranty. I just wanted to let you know that I quite enjoy this fic and hope it continues.

:wink: <~~~ Winking Scooter FTW

Slackbot

Reaction score
ilovemusic: Thanks, glad you like my pics. I have a lot of fun drawing them, even if it sometimes makes me nuts that I don't have as much reference material as I like. I'm building up a character morgue, though. More pictures to come!

Puckrox: Wow, I'm glad you like this story so much. Heh, I'm a little surprised at the reactions to the Scooter & Janken thread. I was expecting to take some heat from that: "Muppet slash? Eww!" I can't tell you how pleased I am that, at least of the people who have posted, people have accepted it without turbulence. That is, in my opinion, the way it should be in real life.

Out of curiosity, when did you figure out what was going on with those two? I was planting hints from his first appearance, but I didn't want to make it obvious until "Inner Space."

Slackbot

Reaction score
Masks, Part 13:
Outreach
by Kim McFarland

It was a warm and sunny afternoon. The Great Gonzo tapped on a backstage door of a community theater house. After a pause it opened, and a young male Monster looked out and, "Oh, Gonzo! Cathy's just inside," and beckoned him in.

The monster guided him through the corridors in the back of the theater to a small office. Inside, Cathy was looking over some forms. She glanced up, then said, "Thanks for coming, Gonzo. We all really appreciate your helping with the show."

He sat in a chair opposite hers. "No problem. What can I do?"

She said, "Unfortunately, I just found out that this theater's insurance policy is a little restrictive..."

She sounded embarrassed. He said, "Don't worry, that happens all the time. Usually right after the insurance company realizes who I am. Okay, cannons and motorcycles are out. No big deal." He shrugged. "It's too hard to lug a cannon across town on a bus anyhow."

"You'd take a cannon on a bus?"

"No. Too heavy, and it won't fit in the luggage space. So, what can I do for ya?"

"I'd like you to emcee the show."

That caught him by surprise. He said, "I didn't expect that, but sure."

"Good," she said, pleased. I've got some notes for you, but you can put everything in your own words. And, of course, have fun with it if you want to. Be yourself."

"Nobody else will, so I guess I have to," he replied with a grin. "So, who will I be announcing?"

"Some of them are here already. Why don't I introduce you?"

"Sure."

She led him out of the office. In one of the wings was an attractive Monster woman carrying a bulky clothing bag and makeup tacklebox. Looking over, she said, "Cathy, is there somewhere I can set up?"

Her voice sounded familiar to Gonzo, but he could not place her face. Cathy said, "I'll show you to the ladies' dressing room. Penny, this is Gonzo. He'll be emceeing the show."

They shook hands. Penny said, "Between the two of us, we'll make this show a memorable one."

She laughed, and Gonzo stared. Her voice was familiar, but the laugh was unmistakable. "Penny Dreadful?"

"That's me," she said. "It's not too easy to recognize me without my costume and makeup, is it?"

"I'll say!" he answered, still amazed. She was the host of a long-running TV show featuring terrible horror movies. Onscreen, she was one of the most recognizable Monsters in show business. He couldn't believe how different she looked when not in costume. He could pass her on the street without a second glance.

"Not all of us are born with our distinctive looks," she quipped, glancing at Gonzo's nose. To Cathy she said, "Give me a few minutes to get settled in and I'll talk with you both. I've got some ideas."

The dressing room door closed. Cathy couldn't help laughing at Gonzo's expression. "She was just as surprised when I told her you'd be doing the show. I think she'll ask for your autograph."

"Whoa."

Hours later, a young redheaded woman wearing cat-eye glasses walked in the door to the Muppet Theater. She waved at Pops the Doorman as she walked by, not breaking her stride. He nodded and went back to his newspaper. She looked like she knew where she was going, and that was good enough for him.

She glanced around and saw Scooter on the other side of the stage, where the camera bank was. She walked around behind the stage, treading carefully to avoid tripping over or being fallen upon by props, then snuck up behind him on soft-soled sneakers. She had approached from his right, so she tapped his left shoulder. He glanced over and saw nobody. When she said "Boo!" from the other direction he startled. So did Janken.

"Skeeter! What're you doing here?"

"Scaring the mess out of you, little brother," she said, laughing.

He was older than his twin by a matter of minutes, but he would not rise to the bait. "Mission accomplished. What's up?"

She draped an arm around his shoulders. "Nothing. I just wanted to pester you. Ordinarily I wouldn't come here to do it, but I haven't seen you anywhere, even at college. This is the only place I can find you."

"I've been busy with the show."

"Busier than you were last year? You weren't so elusive then. We used to double date all the time. What're you doing now, hanging around with your nerd friends?" To Janken she said, "No offense."

"None taken," Janken replied mildly.

Scooter said, "You're not going to try to set me up, are you?"

"Nah. This is real life, not some sitcom. I was just wondering what you're up to, since I hardly see you anymore, that's all."

Scooter sighed. His eyes met Janken's. Scooter glanced around; they were the only ones on backstage left, and those rehearsing onstage certainly wouldn't be paying attention to them. He said, "Look, sis..."

"What?"

Another long pause. Then Scooter said, "Between the show and college I've been too busy, that's all. I haven't had time for anything else."

She did not see Janken's tail flick. Scooter did. Shaking her brother by the shoulder, she said, "You told me yourself, this job is as much work as you make it. Come up for air once in a while."

"Okay, okay, I'll try. As long as you don't try to set me up with someone."

"You've given up already? That's just sad," she teased.

Firmly he answered, "I'm just not interested, that's all."

Surprised by his tone, she looked him in the eyes. Then she said, "All right, suit yourself. Say, is Piggy here? I just read the most interesting article."

Grateful for the change in topic, Scooter said, "Yeah, but you'd better not mention that to her. I mean it. It's not funny."

"Are you kidding? It's hilarious! 'I'm not a waif in a frilly dress!'" She laughed.

"Skeeter," he said warningly. "I mean it. It's a dangerous topic with her. And with Miss Piggy, dangerous is dangerous."

"Okay, okay, I'll try," she said, mimicking him. "I didn't come here to bother her, anyway. Just you."

Kermit, in his dressing room, was reading a copy of N'Importe Quoi. It was the one with Miss Piggy's interview. She had not mentioned or even alluded to it today, which was ominous.

He knew Miss Piggy. He would not be worried if she threw a fit about an unflattering article, or even one that was not flattering enough. That was typical, and blew over quickly enough. This silence, on the other hand, was ominous, like the quiet ticking of a time bomb.

Kermit had no secrets in his life. He came from humble beginnings—you can't get much humbler than a scum-filled swamp swarming with thousands of siblings—and, through a combination of luck, persistence, and hard work, had become more of a star than any talking frog could expect. On the surface, it seemed that Miss Piggy had followed a similar path. Hers had just begun in a sty rather than a swamp.

He closed the magazine and put it away. Then he went over to Miss Piggy's dressing room and rapped on the door. "Piggy?"

"Entrez," she answered from within.

He went in. She was sitting at her makeup desk, wearing a robe, her hair pulled back. "Why, Kermie! I wasn't expecting you."

"Hi, Piggy. I was just wondering how you were doing."

She tilted her head, affecting puzzlement. "What on odd thing to say. I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

He sat down on a trunk. "Piggy, you haven't said anything about the article in N'Importe Quoi. Usually you make sure everyone knows whenever someone does a feature on you."

"Oh, that." She laughed. "Really, there's not much to it, is there? Who was it that said 'it is a sin to waste the reader's time'? Moi wouldn't want anyone to waste their time reading that silly little space filler."

She did not fool Kermit for a moment. However, he knew that calling her on it would only lead to a fight. "It's just that it's not like you to walk out on an interview."

"Oh, that. Really, Kermie, it's so sweet of you to be concerned, but the truth of the matter is that I left because they insisted on dwelling on moi's boring old pageant pictures. As if I had done nothing of note since then. I became bored, so I walked out. Moi has no secrets; everyone knows that I have been a beauty queen for all of my life."

Kermit was not fooled. He was good at reading between the lines where Piggy was concerned. He also knew when not to push. "Okay. Glad to see it wasn't bothering you."

"You're so sweet," she said, smiling winningly. "Now, I really must finish doing my hair."

"All right. See you, Piggy."

"Ta ta!"

He left. Her smile vanished the moment the door clicked shut. She scowled, but not because of Kermit, or even the article in N'Importe Quoi.

It was conventional wisdom that you should not read your own reviews. Miss Piggy dismissed that as ridiculous; she loved to read about herself. How else was she to keep up with her image? But that, unfortunately, also meant that she saw the unflattering articles, such as the ones printed in The Daily Scandal. The latest copy was in her trash can. A certain muckraker had hastily scrawled speculations on her past based on her unwillingness to discuss it for N'Importe Quoi and illustrated it with photos from the earlier magazine article. If she found the twerp, she would show him the one advantage of hooflike fingernails: they give an added edge to karate chops.

The rest of the day went by smoothly, on the surface at least. The Muppets rehearsed their acts, and Janken made notes on his copy of the script about camera angles and effects. Skeeter hung out backstage, chatting with old friends, and kept her word not to mention the article to Miss Piggy. However, Piggy did notice Skeeter sneaking peeks at her gloves.

As things were winding down for the evening Gonzo came in. He sought Kermit out and said, "Hi, how're rehearsals going?"

"Good. How about yours?"

"Pretty good. Hey, they made me the emcee."

Kermit's startled expression made Gonzo laugh. "Yeah, that was what I thought too."

"Is it because of their insurance?"

"Yep. Well, I doubt they'd want me to do a stunt even if they could get it okayed. It's not that kind of show. Anyway, it's gonna be Saturday afternoon. It's not long, it'll be over hours before we have to set up for the show. I snagged some tickets. Want to come?"

"Sure."

Gonzo handed him a pair of tickets. "Ask Miss Piggy if she'd like to come." Behind his hand he said, "I bet the other performers'll ask for her autograph."

Kermit smiled, knowing that that would help her mood. "I don't think she'd mind too much."

"Yeah." Gonzo glanced around. "Hey, is that Skeeter?"

"Yeah. She dropped by a few hours ago."

"Cool! See you back at the house."

Gonzo crossed the stage to the left wings. Scooter and Skeeter were chatting as Janken shut the camera console down. Scooter saw Gonzo coming and said, "Hi! I didn't expect to see you here today."

"Why not?" Skeeter asked.

Gonzo said, "Hi, Skeeter. I'm not in this week's show 'cause I'm doing a charity benefit instead."

She asked, "Just you? Not the other Muppets?"

"Just me. It's for TMI—a Monster charity—and one of the people running it is an old friend of mine. It looks like it's gonna be pretty neat. They've got some good guests. Hey, one of 'em's Penny Dreadful! I met her today!"

"Are you serious?" Skeeter exclaimed.

Janken asked, "Who's Penny Dreadful?"

Scooter answered, "She hosts Penny's Dreadful Theater. It plays some of the worst horror movies ever made, and she heckles them."

Skeeter said, "Movies like The Minimall of Terror and Attack of the Killer Radishes…"

Gonzo said, "You'd never recognize her out of costume! Anyway, she's going to be there, and Ten Inch Talons, and so on. I have some tickets. You all want to see it?"

"Sure, why not?" Scooter replied.

"Heck, yeah!" Skeeter said.

Gonzo gave them tickets, then offered one to Janken. "How about you?"

"Thanks, but I've already got one. A friend in the TMI office in town invited me."

"Oh? Cool. See you there, then. D'you know if Fozzie's still here?"

"He ought to be. He and Kermit were rehearsing a little while ago."

"Good See you later." Gonzo went back across the stage.

Skeeter said, "I've got to go too. I've got Anthro 302 in an hour. Don't want to be late for that."

Scooter did not try to hide a smile. Skeeter was going to be a great adventurer, so she said, and anthropology was one of the required areas of study. She had, against her expectations, gotten sucked into the subject. He said, "Nerd."

"It's only nerdy if it's boring."

"Nerd," he repeated.

"Nerd yourself," she said, and flicked his arm with a forefinger. "Look, I'm serious. Don't be a stranger."

"I promise," he replied.

She punched his shoulder, then turned and left. Scooter watched her go—she turned and waved just before she slipped out of sight, and he waved back—and then he turned to Janken.

The Fraggle did not look as cheerful as he normally did. His expression was guarded, and his tail hung close to the ground. Scooter remembered when his tail had lashed, and knew why. He said in a low voice, "Janken?"

"Yes?"

The two looked at each other for a moment Scooter said, "Are you mad because I didn't tell Skeeter?"

Janken sighed and shook his head, looking away. "No. I'm not mad."

"I'm sorry…"

Without looking over Janken patted him lightly on the shoulder. "I understand, Scooter. I knew from the beginning that you want to keep this just between us," he said softly.

"Jan…"

"I'll see you tomorrow." Janken turned and tried to smile, then walked across the stage. His tail trailed limply across the boards.

Scooter felt terrible. He hadn't meant to hurt Janken's feelings. It never bothered him before. Had it? No, Janken was not one to conceal his feelings. Scooter would have known. Belatedly he hurried after him.

He exited the theater just in time to see Janken riding his bicycle away, pedaling hard.

All characters except Janken, Catherine Monster, and Penny Dreadful are copyright © The Muppets Studio, LLC. All copyrighted properties are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Janken, Penny Dreadful, and the overall story are copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Great chapter! It was a treat to wake up and find a new one waiting for me. And I totally forgot Skeeter and Scooter were twins! Awesome stuff. :smile:

I, personally, picked up on Janken/Scooter in Chapter 7 during "Interlude" when Scooter admitted to Gonzo that he liked someone. I'm a writer too, so it's easy for my mind to see what direction the story will head into. I've always been perceptive when it comes to relationships in stories.

Did you, by chance, title one of your chapters "Once More, With Feeling" after the well known Buffy episode? Just curious.

Slackbot

Reaction score
That was when I started telegraphing it in earnest. Heh, if Gonzo hadn't been so wrapped up in his own issues he might have caught on. Too bad, because Scooter could have used a sympathetic ear. (So to speak. When they were handing out ears Gonzo was in the nose line.)

I've never watched Buffy, so, no, I haven't titled any chapters after those episodes. "Once more, with feeling" more or less means "Try again, you can do better." I've heard it in musical context.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Okay, I figured it wasn't a Buffy reference. It's probably the most well known episode (it's the musical episode!), so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Can't wait for the next update!

Slackbot

Reaction score
'Fraid you'll have to wait a little, 'cause I'm still editing it. Hmm... here's a little preview that doesn't contain spoilers. Someone's recognized Janken as a Fraggle and asked him what the heck he's doing out of his caves and messing around as a theater tech:

"I guess I gravitated to theater arts because Fraggles like singing and dancing, and when I was younger I wanted to be a storyteller." In a sober tone he said, "As for why I decided to live out here rather than just poking my head out every so often, well, there are dangers where we live—cave-ins, poison plants, hungry creatures, and so on—but they aren't so bad when you know how to deal with them. You can sense instability in the rocks, recognize the signs of...well, you get the idea. Anyhow, we Fraggles have never known anything about the surface world before because it just wasn't real to us, I guess. But that's changed. We need to understand how the world works because we're part of it now. A few years before I was born we were poisoned when the human living above our caves contaminated our water with chemical waste. He didn't mean to—he didn't know we lived there, and as soon as he found out he stopped it and had the water cleaned again. But we could all have died, never knowing why." He paused, then smiled again. "I'd like to say that I was chosen for this heroic task because I'm the bravest and the brightest, but we're not that organized. I'm just the one who thought, okay, someone's gotta do it, and it might be fun."

Dang, that's a big chunk of text. Glad Janken isn't always that gabby.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Oooooh, nice preview! I'm even more excited now! Guess I'll have to contain the excitement. :crazy:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Masks, Part 14:
Face-Off, Part 1

by Kim McFarland​

It was the afternoon of the TMI benefit show. The guest performers were gathered backstage with the theater staff and Cathy Monster, the event's coordinator. She peeked at the audience from the wings.

All sorts of people had come. There were a number of invited guests, those who might take their message to heart. This show was not about raising funds, as the TMI was very well off, thanks to the shrewd investments of its founder. It was about spreading their message.

Gonzo, who was feeling just a touch of nerves because he was going to be emceeing the show—an unfamiliar role; he was much more used to bringing culture to the world via wild stunts—looked out over her shoulder. She said, "Your friends came."

"Yep." It was easy to pick them out. Flashbulbs always seemed to go off in Miss Piggy's vicinity. Kermit was with her, and he could see Camilla, Fozzie, Scooter, Skeeter, and Janken in the audience. Then he noticed someone else, and said, "Oh, crud," under his breath.

"What's wrong?"

Gonzo pointed at a small man with a mop of pale hair. "I know him. He's a reporter for The Daily Scandal. He writes nasty stuff. You don't want to know the kind of junk he wrote about me and Camilla after they refused to issue us a marriage license because they said she was 'only an animal'."

"I can guess," she said sympathetically.

"I hope he doesn't start in on the TMI."

"Gonzo, checkout line weeklies like that write anything to sell copies. Sometimes they sell papers by pulling on people's heartstrings."

"I don't know..."

"Are you always so worried about the tabloids? Whatever they print, it'll be forgotten as soon as the next issue comes out," Catherine said.

"I hope you're right."

While Miss Piggy allowed the photographers to have their way with her—with Kermit as her arm candy, of course—the others sat in the seats, chatting among themselves. Skeeter, speaking across Scooter, asked Janken, "Do you mind a personal question?"

"No, what?" Janken answered.

"You look kind of like a Fraggle..?"

Skeeter, looking at Janken, did not notice her brother's relief, but Janken did. Janken said, "Me, a Fraggle? What makes you think that?"

"A lot of little things. Mainly your eyes and how you never wear shoes. And you're a vegetarian."

Janken smiled. "Okay, you got me. Yeah, I'm a Fraggle. Where did you hear about us? Hardly anyone knows we exist."

"One of the things I study is different cultures. Nobody knows much about Fraggles, but what there is makes it sound like you're very different. Is it a secret, what you are?"

Janken shook his head. "No. I'd rather not make noise about it, is all. And we're not as different as you'd think."

"Can I ask you some questions?"

"Shoot."

Scooter asked Janken, "Want to swap seats?"

"Sure." The two switched seats to put Janken next to Skeeter.

Skeeter said, "I thought Fraggles didn't like to leave their caves. You seem at home out here, though."

"My great-uncle Matt—he was the first Fraggle to explore the outside world—used to take me with him on little adventures when I was a kid. I guess he trained me not to be agoraphobic. Still, it was pretty rough when I came up to live out here by myself. If you're used to knowing just where you are by the caves and tunnels you're in, what kind of rock is around you and what's living on it, imagine what it's like to look around and see nothing but distance. How can you tell where you are? But somehow you do it, and I told myself that if a Silly Creature—that's what Matt calls surface dwellers because he doesn't understand them very well—could manage it, so could I."

"Why, though? I mean, why leave your home, go to 'Silly Creature' college, and become a theater tech, for crying out loud?"

He grinned. "It does sound weird, doesn't it? Exploring is a family tradition, and I'm continuing that. The TMI helped me get acclimated to the world out here, and they placed me in a college so I could get up to speed. I guess I gravitated to theater arts because Fraggles like singing and dancing, and when I was younger I wanted to be a storyteller." In a sober tone he said, "As for why I decided to live out here rather than just poking my head out every so often, well, there are dangers where we live—cave-ins, poison plants, hungry creatures, and so on—but they aren't so bad when you know how to deal with them. You can sense instability in the rocks, recognize the signs of...well, you get the idea. Anyhow, we Fraggles have never known anything about the surface world before because it just wasn't real to us, I guess. But that's changed. We need to understand how the world works because we're part of it now. A few years before I was born we were poisoned when the human living above our caves contaminated our water with chemical waste. He didn't mean to—he didn't know we lived there, and as soon as he found out he stopped it and had the water cleaned again. But we could all have died, never knowing why." He paused, then smiled again. "I'd like to say that I was chosen for this heroic task because I'm the bravest and the brightest, but we're not that organized. I'm just the one who thought, okay, someone ought to do it, and it might be fun."

While Janken and Skeeter talked, Fleet Scribbler watched the audience from behind his dark glasses. He needed an article for tomorrow's paper, and it had to be something better than standard celebrity gossip. He had come here on a hunch, and, he thought as he looked around, perhaps that hunch was on the money. Miss Piggy was here—he hadn't foreseen that. She was always good for interesting press, especially lately. He could tell when somebody had something to hide, and spilled secrets sold papers.

It was easy to make his way over to her without being seen; he just stayed on the side opposite the photographers and autograph seekers. He took out a small digital camera, set the focus to closeup, and inched forward.

Scooter called, "Miss Piggy!"

She glanced over. "What?"

Both Fozzie and Scooter were looking at her. Scooter pointed urgently at something behind her.

She felt a touch at her fingertips, and looked around. She saw a mop of pale hair, a hand reaching for her glove as if about to pull it off, and a camera. Her arm jerked suddenly, and with a whoosh of expelled breath Fleet doubled over. She turned back, smiling smugly. It hadn't even taken a karate chop to put that twerp in his place. A stiff finger-jab to the solar plexus got the message across much more subtly.

Gonzo had seen the action from a distance, and was grinning. He knew exactly what had happened. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.

Catherine said, "It's five minutes until we start. I must admit, I've done many of these shows, and I'm still a little nervous."

Penny Dreadful, now in a costume that made her look simultaneously frightening and alluring, said in a sultry voice, "Don't worry about it. We'll have them eating out of the palms of our hands."

"Thanks, Penny. I know you will." This was not the first time Penny Dreadful had been in a TMI benefit, and Catherine knew that whenever she was in costume she was in character. She looked around—the guest performers were all there—and said, "I want to thank you all for donating your time and talent. This will help greatly in getting our message out. The more people know about TMI, the more people will call on us when they see a need for us, and the more lives we can save by giving people a chance. Thank you."

This struck a chord with Gonzo. Suddenly he realized that it had been blind luck that the TMI had helped him, back when he had been homeless. He had been taken in for vagrancy—he had been sleeping on a park bench—and somehow Catherine had gotten him out, so he did not get a criminal record. Someone at the police station had to have known about TMI, and when they saw that he had no record had guessed that the TMI could help him out of the trap he was in. Without the aid of that unknown benefactor—someone who knew about the TMI, and had called on them instead of following the normal routine and booking him—he could not have gotten off the streets. Why had this never occurred to him before?

Skeeter and Janken were still talking when the theater lights dimmed, signaling people to take their seats. After a minute Gonzo, wearing his familiar purple tuxedo, wandered out in front of the stage curtains, swinging a wireless microphone in one hand and looking around casually. He stopped when he saw the audience, then said, "Oh, you're here," in a tone of mild surprise. "Glad you could come. Welcome to this show, which is sponsored by the TMI." He took a card out of his pocket and read in an exaggeratedly stilted tone, "TMI is an organization that helps economically disadvantaged Monsters out through educational and legal assistance, and otherwise helping them get on their feet." He looked up again. "Some of you already know that, and if so, good for you."

Penny Dreadful had walked out onstage behind Gonzo and watched him speak, her hands on her hips, tapping one foot. At the audience's reaction Gonzo looked up from the card, then glanced around. He startled when he saw Penny. She sauntered over to him, her costume looking as precarious as ever, and said, "Good grief, can't you make that more interesting? You sound like you're doing show and tell."

"Sorry, I'm a little out of my element. I wanted to trail a banner behind my motorcycle, but the ramp wouldn't fit in the aisles."

She shook her head. "Oy vey. I have to give you lessons on how to work a crowd? All right, give me that." She held out a hand. He gave her the card. She glanced at it briefly, then handed it back and, putting her hands on her hips and sweeping her long, multicolored hair back, said in a breathy, sultry voice, "TMI is an organization that helps economically disadvantaged Monsters-" she breathed deeply, making her costume look even more precarious than it already did, "through educational and legal assistance, and otherwise helping them get on their...feet," she finished in a vampish tone, then struck a pose.

"Are you okay?" Gonzo asked, concerned.

"What?" she snapped.

"The way you're breathing, it looks like you're having an asthma attack." He asked the audience, "Anyone have an inhaler?"

She rolled her eyes, then said to the audience, "You see what I have to work with here? And I thought it was bad with the cheap movies. Look, we'll work on the commercials backstage. In the meantime, here's Ten Inch Talons." She pushed Gonzo offstage, then stopped and quipped to the audience, "Wow, so this is what it feels like to announce something that doesn't suck. I could get used to this."

Backstage, Catherine grinned at them both. "That was great."

"I know my stuff around a straight man," Penny answered. She said to Gonzo, "You didn't get flustered at all. I'm a little surprised."

"Don't think I didn't notice you! But my wife's in the audience."

"Ahh, gotcha," she said with a wink. "Don't think I'll pull my punches because of that, though."

The show continued in the same vein, with Gonzo and Penny introducing various acts, dropping small bits of information about the mission and methods of the TMI while introducing the acts. Each time Penny tried harder to vamp Gonzo, and each time Gonzo somehow managed to miss the message. In the end she dragged him offstage, telling him with a wicked smile that she would show him her video collection, starting with Dedos: Fingers of Fate. From offstage came a shriek of horror.

After the last act Gonzo and Penny stepped onstage. Gonzo said, "Hope you liked the show. Wish I'd been out there watching it with you. Instead, I was stuck backstage with her." He nodded to Penny. "She can't play go fish worth a darn."

"Poker's more my game," she said sweetly.

He hadn't expected that ad-lib. He said, "This is gonna drive me to gin rummy. Anyhow, I have one more intro to make. Catherine Monster, who set this all up. Since I couldn't get the message about TMI across that well, she's gonna tell you about it."

Both Gonzo and Penny welcomed Cathy as she walked onstage from the side. She accepted the microphone from Gonzo and said, "Thank you all for coming. TMI, as Gonzo said at the beginning, is an organization devoted to helping out Monsters who have not had all the opportunities that they otherwise would have had otherwise. Our primary focus is on education and job placement, but we also help place foster children and adoptions, offer legal assistance, and help in any other way we can. There are a lot of people out there—Monsters and otherwise—who, owing to no more than an accident of birth or circumstance, have suffered poverty and deprivation, and so many who, if only given a chance, could be as productive in society as anyone else. The problem is solvable, one person at a time, if people will focus on making a difference in others' lives. Whether it's donating your time to work with TMI, or fostering or adopting children, or referring people who need help to the TMI, any one of you can make a difference. All you have to do is reach out and touch someone else's life."

She smiled at the audience. "Again, thank you for coming. Be well."

People began to get up to leave. The reporter that Gonzo had identified to Cathy as Fleet Scribbler said, "That all sounds nice, but do you really think you can clean the world up? Is it really worth it?"

The question did not bother Catherine; she had answered it a hundred times before. But before she could speak Gonzo asked her, "Um, can I take this?"

Surprised, she answered, "Sure," and handed him the microphone.

Gonzo walked to upstage to stand right in front of Fleet. The reporter had a pencil and pad out. Gonzo glanced around—most of the audience was staying, sensing that the show was not quite over. The Muppets were sitting back down as well. Gonzo looked back at Fleet, then said, "Yes, it makes a difference, especially to the people the TMI has helped. I know for sure. I was one of 'em.

"I was one of those foster kids who slipped through the cracks and ended up homeless. It's a trap. You can't get out of it because nobody will hire you for anything legal if you don't have a home, and you can't get a home if you don't have anything to pay for it with. I spent years living on the streets, getting enough money to eat by playing an old guitar for handouts. After living like that for too long you give up hoping for anything better than just staying alive. It's a rotten way to live.

"Eventually I got picked up for vagrancy, and instead of booking me they referred me to the TMI. Long story short, they gave me the help I needed to finish my education, get a job, and get back on my feet. So, no, TMI can't solve all the problems of the world. Nobody can. But every person out there who needs their help is a real person, not a number or percentage or something. Isn't it worth it to help even one person get out of a miserable life like that?"

Fleet did not answer. He was writing rapidly. Gonzo looked around—he had the attention of the remaining audience—and said with a faint smile, "I guess I can say it now. I'm not only a spokesman for the TMI, I'm a client." He handed the microphone back to Cathy.

After the show, Penny asked Gonzo, "Was that all true?"

"Yeah."

Catherine told him softly, "You didn't have to do that, Gonzo."

"Actually... I kinda had to. Doing this show to help, but denying I'd been in their shoes once—I felt like a hypocrite, like I was pretending to be better than them. I've kept it a secret for so long, but when I saw Fleet Scribbler there, well, I decided I was sick of being scared of my own past, and I was gonna come clean. Maybe he'll write one of his crummy articles about it, but at least it'll be over with. I hope you don't mind me stealing your thunder."

"Of course not," she exclaimed. "Sometimes people do lose sight of the fact that it's real people we're trying to help. You put a human face on the matter. Well, legally human. Thank you." She hugged him.

He hugged back. "Thanks. If it makes a difference, I guess it's worth it."

He felt a tap at his shoulder, and turned. Penny Dreadful said, "That was brave," and kissed his cheek.

"Thanks," he replied.

"Let's keep in touch, all right?"

"Sure," he said. Looking around, he said sincerely, "Thanks, guys." He thought that he ought to be weepy now, but all he felt was relief. He had shed a burden he'd been carrying for the greater part of his life. Only now, he realized, was it truly behind him, and could never hurt him again.

All characters except Janken, Catherine Monster, and Penny Dreadful are copyright © The Muppets Studio, LLC. All copyrighted properties are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Janken, Penny Dreadful, and the overall story are copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.