to those keeping track...

beaker

Reaction score
Ive never been one to consider facotry messups a 'variant'. YEah, I think the bulk of 'variant's origins come from star wars figures. However, then there is International, bootlegs, factory messups, etc. Why is a Revenge of the Jedi packaging Stormtrooper worth $300+ when its the SAME exact figure? who knows.

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
....Why is a Revenge of the Jedi packaging Stormtrooper worth $300+ when its the SAME exact figure? who knows.
Because it is not an error, it is an instance of a studio changing its mind in mid production.
If the first 1,000 Muppet series one were produced with the 25 year banner on them, and then Henson decided they did not want the toys to have that on the card, so the remaining 10,000 were produced sans anniversary logo, it is a change in the production run, and would be considered a variant, and would be worth more, and could this be any longer of a run-on sentence ?

grail

Reaction score
grammar? punctuation? a toy collector needs not these things...

*wishes he had a Yoda avatar about now...*

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
grammar? punctuation? a toy collector needs not these things...
Apparently syntax isn't high on the list of priorities either:big_grin:

grail

Reaction score
only when writing an actual review...

it's seriously funny to watch me drafting a toy review. first i write it. then i check for spelling. then i find my grammatical errors. then i redraft, fixing those grammatical errors and usually changing the entire piece in the process. then i check for spelling/grammar errors again, by sending it by my fiancee, the Notre Dame english major...after she fixes it, i send it in to Marcus, who edits it for bad jokes and length (i tend to go on a bit).

thus a review is born...check this friday for He-Man...(but please don't go buy the toys first)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Is this a hint? Well, I'll probably stick to the Muppets and buy them all no matter what the rating, but they sould get good ratings anyway. And I do love reading the reviews to see what other people liked, what was over-looked etc. Cool stuff!

grail

Reaction score
yeah, that Bunsen review was the first one i did. the one for this week (which was actually for last week, but that's another story) is He-Man...the things are horrible. just plain bad...

there is a bright point, though...wait till you see the new rating system i'm using...

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Yeah I never undertood the whole "my lightsaber is bigger than yours" thing with those early '95 releases of the POTF2 line. I mean, it is primarily a boys market...so...

But, I do wonder where it ends. To me, the Invisible Beaker and Lunchbox Kermit are not in the line. They were never offered at retail. Many people do though. I wonder what kind of reaction people will have to the wedding set? Will it make people mad they can't get it? Who knows?

I was hoping, and still am, that people don't look at the two colored Vatican Fozzie's (which is what I call them now internally) as must have for both. Some will I suppose, but the intent certainly wasn't to make you buy both...the intent was to offer a choice.

Interesting debate that will rage on for millenia I guess...

grail

Reaction score
i agree that they are not part of the line, and the whole "Kermit in Lunchbox" thing just makes my head hurt, but i can at least see where they're coming from...

to a lot of people, collecting is all about having what no one else does. even i'm victim to it sometimes ("Invisible" Space Ghost, Ash vs. Pit Witch, about 6 different Transformers after this weekend), that's what makes them so appealing. i have to admit, i want an invisible Beaker too...but i ain't paying ebay prices for it. i've got tons of toys, and while the Muppets are quickly becoming my favorites, i can do without ONE...especially one that, if a big deal hadn't been made about it, i wouldn't have known it existed. it's not like it was advertised or anything.

grail

Reaction score
BTW, if i remember the story correctly, part of the reason for the Star Wars "variants" was because Hasbro was using 3 different overseas factories...and we've all seen Ken's reaction to the factories...

(i wish they had a toy factory here in Indy...i would SO apply to work there...we've got Fundex, but they make board games...)