1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by beaker, Dec 16, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I agree with the confusing characters from other shows thing... I remember several years ago when Animal Planet did a special counting down the top 50 TV animals of all time (Big Bird was 16, Kermit was 2); there was celebrity commentary, but half-way through the special, there was a brief segment where the celebrities talked about their specific favorites (Big Bird mentioned Snuffy was his favorite "am-i-nal") - David Hyde Pierce said "I like Animal on Sesame Street... you know, the *Immitates Animal*? That guy... between him or the Cookie Monster".
  2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I agree, I can't blame people for not knowing Disney owns the Muppets. The news of their buy was almost 6 years ago, and it has fallen way back into people's memory. And they insist on pupping "Muppet Studios" or "Muppets Holding LLC" on all the products or ads/clips/sites, which I think is kind of cool.

I never heard the "Ernie died of AIDS" or "Jim Henson died of AIDS" thing; however for people to understand why there is a Muppet character with AIDS(Kami) they have to first understand the absolute seriousness and dire situation of pediatric AIDS in many African countries. People in America are just ignorant.
  3. D'Snowth

Yeah, Richard Hunt, sadly, is the one who died of AIDS, such a tragedy, but at least he took it well.

Not to be a nitpicker or anything, but Kami doesn't have AIDS, she is HIV+... which DOES lead to AIDS, but not really that much of an issue. In respect to some of my friends here, I'm not going to go into a discussion as why there's a common misconception with Americans about HIV/AIDS which caused the outrage over Kami... but I will admit, a friend of mine in Israel asked me why Americans did make such a big deal out of a Muppet character being HIV+, and I explained to her the misconception that plagues America regarding the disease.
  4. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

, and I couldn't help but think... when? When did we ever see that character in merchandise? I know they mean well, but when people ask if a character was in any commercially available merchandise that doesn't exist... well, it gets me annoyed that it doesn't exist myself.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't see the problem with that question. I have figures of Thog, Mahna Mahna, Snowth 1 and 2, Pops, Male and Female Koozebane, Croaker(KSY), Sesame Martian, Newsman, etc. They've made a LOT of rare figures.

As I've always said, most Americans are not just ethno-geocentric, but either plain clueless or massively ignorant.
    People would do good to see When Muppets Dream Of Peace or The World According to Sesame Street.

Yep, I remember the(albeit sometimes truncated) TMS/MB combo Nick Jr often played. And even before that, back in the mid to late 80's TMS was always on.

Also, Mahna Mahna(or least a close cousin) was on Sesame Street:)

Heh, I don't consider Elmo a Muppet nor even acknowledge his existence:)
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Well, I literally thought Big Bird was a female character til I think just a few years ago. I just don't get how the character is a male.
  6. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

Cory, I remember you pronouncing "Spinney" as "Spy-ney" ... :eek: :p
  7. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I could've sworn I saw a sketch of Rowlf of Jim Henson's or something that says "Ralph". Also, on Muppet Family Christmas, Fozzie clearly calls him Ralph. I think "Rowlf" is Rowlf's way of saying "Ralph", kinda like how Scooby speaks in "doggie" English.
  8. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

These two are just from people not knowing grammar.
    Dr. Bunsen Honeydew is named after a scientific instrument- a Bunsen burner, which in turn is named after Robert Bunsen.
    (I'm guessing the Honeydew part is from honeydew melon.)
    And Beaker is named after a scientific instrument- a beaker. That's how the word is spelt.
    :confused::eek:
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Poppycock! The Chef never cooked a Danish in his life! :hungry:

Sure they didn't get it confused with These guys?
    snichols1973 likes this.
  10. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

My list of the most annoying misconceptions I've heard people make:

-Cookie Monster being changed to the Veggie Monster, being written off, etc.

-Labeling The Muppet Show as a "kid's" show

-Early episodes of Sesame Street inappropriate for today's children...with most of the blame going to Cookie Monster and Oscar

-Labeling Creature Shop works (Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, etc.) as "Muppets", when they're clearly not.
  11. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

I know I'm probably going to repeat some here but...

I got annoyed when people called Kermit the Frog, Hermit the Frog (yes I've heard people say that)
    Labeling the Muppet show as a "kid's show" I mean sure kids can enjoy but it wasn't dumb down so that ONLY kids can enjoy it.
    Mispelling Fozzie as Fozzy or Janice as Janis
    calling Animal a "muppet monster"
    When people say things like Labyrinth, Dark Crystal and Dinosaurs are muppets, when actually they were "creatures"
    When people call Miss. Piggy, Mrs. Piggy (I know it's a little detail, but it's still annoying)

As for as misconceptions and/or urban legends go...
    the whole Kami thing (as mention)
    A Sesame Street Muppet either has died or will die soon, usually Ernie, Bert or Grover falls into this group and it usually cause of cancer, aids, or a car accident.
    Bert and Ernie are gay, that's one I wish would just die already the most. (I mean it's one thing when shows like Madtv or Family Guy make jokes about that, but it really annoys me when people think that's an honest to god fact and in some cases actually attack them for that)
    Cookie Monster being changed to Veggie Monster
    Oscar the Grouch is an "evil character" on Sesame Street (I don't know why, but that one really bugs me) and he's gotten a lot "softer" or "nicer" over the years. The fact is Oscar gets annoyed by other Sesame Street characters, but he still cares for them. He doesn't want to see bad things happen to them or anything like that.
  12. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

Ugh...I was on Ebay, and one of the listed items was "Oscar 'I Hate Mornings' Tee-Shirt" and it clearly had an image of Animal on it.

Also, as quoted from Wikipedia:
    Seriously, was there any time on anything OFFICIAL in which her name was spelled that way?
  13. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I just remembered one: When people complain Cookie Monster is now the Veggie Monster. I swear, in English earlier this year, 3 students just found out that were obsessed with it.
  14. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

On Halloween, when I wore my Super Grover costume everyone in my grade got to go down to my old elementary school where my mom works now. I stopped by the class she teaches in and all the kids thought I was Elmo. I told my mom about this later and she told me the bitter truth: Most younger kids don't watch PBS anymore, they go right to the Disney Channel. :eek:

Oh, and I was continually mistaken for Cookie Monster by just about everyone else except for most of my older classmates and teachers.

The whole Gonzo/Grover mix-up I've gotten pretty used to. Let's not deny it, the two puppets do look fairly similar (blue fur, wide eyes, close personality traits) despite the obvious differences (Gonzo's beak, Grover barely wears clothes, etc.).

It sends shivers down my spine that everyone blew the Veggie Monster thing out of proportion. Even when I tell people he still eats cookies, they don't believe me one bit. :insatiable:

Most people my age don't know about Kami, but when I mention her everyone I've talked to about it clearly supports the effort.
  15. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh Sesame Workshop put that label on their "old school" dvds themselves.

I guess, modern parents are horrified at the sight of inner city kids in real inner city neighborhoods or something.
  16. D'Snowth

I hope that's sarcasm.
  17. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I can excuse pretty much any mistakes from a little kid - hey, even a young girl who was either a huge Muppet fan and/or had a parent that was who had a chance to go up onstage on the Bonnie Hunt Show and see Oscar up close thought she was seeing Elmo (to which Oscar hilariously replied "I've never been so insulted in my life!")
  18. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

First off- that's funny about Oscar on The Bonnie Hunt Show! lol:grouchy::)

And
    Seriously? That's awesome! I knew about Miss Piggy's picture showing on a Sesame Street sketch, but I didn't realize Dr. Teeth's photo was in a sketch too! Cool! I will have to look this up now.:D
  19. SkeksisGirl

SkeksisGirl New Member

The thing that bugs me the most is when people tell me that Jim Henson died of AIDS because he was gay... That makes me want to strangle them.
  20. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

People have actually said that? :concern: I don't blame you for wanting to strangle them.