1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by beaker, Dec 16, 2009.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

In all fairness, i'm sure Kermit genuinely thought he may have been the inspiration for the Frog's name and not looking to seek fame. He just turned out to be wrong (and probably a bit hurt to find out it wasn't the case)
  2. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Oh, I agree that that was the case as well. It's still a little annoying to hear, especially when even many on this forum believe it.
  3. Rax

Rax New Member

What's the Swedish Chef origin rumor? Never heard it. (Don't be affraid to tell me, I won't believe you anyway. :p)

Gr, Rax
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Walking arm in arm into the sunset like this, huh? That just proves that you're a Bullwinkle fan! :D

That's what I've been talking about. This thing is just a harmless little drunken frat boy Robot Chicken watching reading too far into a kid's show nonsense until someone turns it into a dangerous rhetoric one way or another. I think we've had enough discussing that, since we're really not allowed to.

... really should be Kermit on that one. I mean, he's the one who asks why are there so many songs about those things...

I never quite cared for children's shows being colloquially known by the name of a character (unless it's the show's title). i'm sure a lot of parents and kids know "Sesame Street" by Elmo or Elmo's World. I know by now all that exposure he has on the show, it might as well be called "Elmo," but I really think people and KIDS need to distinguish between SS and Elmo. He's a character ON the show, even if he is the main focus of it, it's still called Sesame Street. I'm sure a lot of kids called it "Ernie" or "Big Bird" when they were younger in those eras too.
  5. Rax

Rax New Member

If it was a German who said this, it's quite understandable, since the character is Danish in Germany. Still quite stupid that the Swedish Chef is Danish in Germany. What were they thinking? If he were Danish in Sweden it'd understandable, but in Germany?

Gr, Rax
  6. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Ahh...See, I knew that the Swedish Chef was called the German Chef in Sweden...Didn't know about the Danish thing.
  7. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

I would totally buy it if there was a shirt like that! :):):)
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Lol, indeed.

ROCKY: Ho-ho-ho-ho, Cisco!
    BULLWINKLE: Ho-ho-ho-ho, Pancho!
    BOTH: Ho-ho-ho-ho...
    ROCKY: Hey wait a minute, this is the ending of another show... about cowboys...
    BULLWINKLE: Well, it always worked for them!
    ROCKY: Yeah, but not for us... we usually walk arm-in-arm into the sunset, like this...
    BULLWINKLE: Yeah...
    ROCKY: ... And the narrator says...
    NARRATOR: TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF ROCKY THE FLYING SQUIRREL, AND BULLWINKLE MOOSE! HO-HO-HO-HO, CISCO!
    BULLWINKLE: Wiseguy.
  9. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

10. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

My list...

1. Of coarse, the whole “muppets are for babies” stuff. Even my friend, a smart girl who knows her onions, said that Muppets are aimed at 3 year-olds (she wasn’t deliberately “bashing” the Muppets, she actually thought that was the age-group that watched them).
    2. People going, “y’know, there’s an M-rated Sesame Street now”. Like, what the diddly? When did that happen? XD I reckon they’re referring to Avenue Q or something.
    3. “COOKIE MONSTER IS NOW VEGETABLE MONSTER. HE DOESN’T EAT COOKIES ANYMORE”.
    4. People -*cough*teenagergirls*cough* but no all- claiming they’re “big muppet fans” because they can name one muppet from the top of their heads (Elmo).
    5. People getting Kermit’s name wrong. Like, c’mon…
    6. People thinking Jim Henson died of AIDS. -_-
    7. When people are like, “ohemgeeI’mSUCHaMuppetfanIusedtoloveElmo’sWorldwhenIlastwatchedit10yearsago!”
    8. Beau actually got me thinking about this… the way people mistake Elmo for a girl.
    9. “Them two old guys in the box”.
    10. I know some people who ask me the names of well-known and obvious Muppets when they're around certain people. And you know that they know the names, but... they don't wanna admit it... or... something? I never got that. =/ It's like, "ooh, don't judge me!" I don't understand...

Yeah, that's so stupid, esp. the last one. :( Curse stereotypes...

Yeah, that was so dumb. -_-

Yes, that always happens to me!

LOL! Haha, that's gold!

Yes, I don't get why it has to be such a big issue. And exactly... HIV doesn't necessarily equal AIDS.

I've heard that, too! From a "big Muppet fan"... :rolleyes:

Really? O.O Wow, cool- I had no idea!

Agreed. The whole joke about Ernie and Bert being gay wore thin AGES ago. =/ Secondly, Laurel and Hardy shared a bed. Yes, I know that's going back a fair way, but even now in a world where nothing is sacred you don't hear anything about that.
  11. Gelfling Girl

Well, we already said this about Ernie, but just now while I was watching Sesame Street, Aunt Michelle said, "Is Snuffleupagus still on the show? Didn't he die?"
  12. The Professor

The Professor New Member

I hadn't kept up too much with the Muppets until recently, so I was guilty of two things:

1. The Brian Henson as Kermit myth

2. The Veggie Monster myth

Thanks for clearing these up for me! The Brian Henson one was big. I remember hearing that when The Muppets' Christmas Carol came out. I was afraid as a child that Kermit would die with Jim Henson, so I think my mom told me that to comfort me.
  13. Rax

Rax New Member

14. Drtooth

Naw... Snuffy was on the 40th season opener. Just not in many or any subsequent episodes this year.
  15. Gelfling Girl

Just thought of two more:

Eren Ozker's name being misspelled as Erin Oscar or some variant. Not very often considering not many people know who this is.

Search "Electric Mayhem" on Youtube. Pick a video such as "With a Little Help from My Friends" or "Rockin' Robin". Scroll down to the comment section. Yep, there sure are a lot of comments like "OMG she looks just like [celebrity]!" or "It's [celebrity] as a Muppet]!" about Janice, aren't there?
  16. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Yeah when I google images for Janice (I google her more than a normal person should, :flirt:) most of the pictures are her being compare to said celebrity.
  17. Drtooth

And apparently, there's a new myth that they're movie Oscar the Grouch of of Sesame Street... BUNK, I say! Heck, there's all this new Oscar merchandise. A sure fire sign that's bunk.

Just felt like getting that off my chest.
  18. Lil0Vampy

Lil0Vampy Member

I know a few of these have been said, but my main peeves are:

1. Spelling Beaker's name Beeker.
    2. When people call Rowlf "Ralph"
    3. I can't STAND the whole Veggie Monster deal. Let it die already!
    4. This one hasn't been said I don't think, but I noticed people tend to call Janice Lips.That one really annoys me for some reason.
  19. Gelfling Girl

LOL, don't we all? At least, I do. :flirt:

And if you happened to be watching my avatar during the few minutes I spent last night trying to change it, you probably figured out that I have more pictures of her saved on my computer than "normal" people. :concern:
  20. MeepMeepBork

MeepMeepBork Member

Most of these have already been said, but my biggest Muppet pet peeves are:

- Beeker, Fozzy, Ralph, etc.

- Veggie Monster. Every time somebody tries to tell me that Cookie Monster is now the Veggie Monster, I have to cut them off mid-sentence and say, "IT'S AN URBAN LEGEND."

- Ernie and Bert are gay. I admit that I laughed at the Family Guy parody, but you know the joke isn't funny anymore when people *coughunculturedteenagerscough* begin to take it seriously.

- Speaking of uncultured teenagers, I've met a few girls who claim to "loooooooove" Kermit ("he's sooooo cute!"), yet they have no idea who Jim Henson is.

- I once wore my Animal shirt to school and somebody thought it was Elmo. Um, no. Polar opposite of Elmo, bud.

- The whole "Muppets are for kids" thing. 'Nuff said.