Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

galagr

Reaction score
I ALWAYS see people mistake Scooter for Gobo Fraggle and vice versa.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Elmo = Sesame Street
Muppet = Puppet
The Muppet Show is for kids
People who knows Sesame Street, but have no idea who the Muppets and Jim Henson are..
I agree that too many people don't quite grasp the inaccuracy of those statements. Even a lot of journalists get it wrong. :search:
  • Elmo is just one member of an ensemble cast that makes up the nearly 43 year old program Sesame Street. :laugh:
  • The Muppets are puppets, not every puppet is a Muppet. Non-Henson characters were never permitted to be called Muppets so "Muppet = Puppet" is not legally accurate. It's now a trademark held by the Walt Disney Company and the Muppet properties they own (* with the exception of the allowance of Sesame Street characters to be referred to as Muppets). Fraggles, once assigned as being under the banner of Jim Henson's Muppets, are no longer permitted to carry the title. :coy:
  • The Muppet Show was intended as a prime time show for all ages but not particularly for kids. This was one of Jim Henson's many project attempts to break out of the mold of being pegged as a children's performer. :grr:
  • I think a lot of people know who Jim Henson is, but unfortunately he's best known these days for the title card above the Muppet Babies cartoon. I hope that changes. :jim:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Lately, I've noticed a lot of people calling Animal "monster" for some odd reason.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Lately, I've noticed a lot of people calling Animal "monster" for some odd reason.
Incidentally, I think the translation for the character in some non-English speaking countries is monster. :halo: Might not be what you're talking about here, but it's a coincidence. :smile:

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
That actually USED to be his name in the early 70s.
Did it really? I guess that sounds about right...I've been too afraid of watching the older stuff to actually find out.

Not Muppet related, but people who think teenagers are "dull and uncultured".
Sounds like a Sam the Eagle speech to me. I'm a teenager, and I watch Rudolph Nureyev dance Swan Lake with a pig ballerina. I think that's culture enough.

Vincent L

Reaction score
Sounds like a Sam the Eagle speech to me..
Ladies and gentleman, I, Sam the american eagle, will like to say a few words on Muppet misnaming. This has become a worldwide phenomenon...
The Snowths: Do doo do do do
GET OFF THE STAGE! Off, off!
As I was saying, this has become a worldwide phenomenon...
[Mahna Mahna and the Snowths take over the stage]
Mahna mahna
Do doo do do do
Mahna mahna
do doo do do do...

Misskermie

Reaction score
Oh, this thread was made for me.:smile:

-When someone calls The Muppets, "The Muffets." What the heck are those?
-When they refer to Beaker as "Meep."
-When someone writes Miss Piggy's name, they write, "Ms. Piggie"
-Fozzy... :skeptical:
-When they refer to Sal as "The Monkey"
-When they say Ernie and Bert are gay
-When they say Muppets are for babies
-When they say Sesame Street is not part of the Muppets
-When they mix up Kermit and Robin (Someone actually does that.)
-They call Fozzie, Yoda
-When they only watch Sesame Street for Elmo

I got more, but I can't think of them at the moment...