Toy Fair Pics!

C'irdan

Reaction score
stuff

For the record, I never said that any of them were terrible and I certainly don't think they are either! In fact these are some of the best figures I've ever seen- pepe needs smaller eyes, Janice needs a bit of color tweaking, clifford needs a new sculpt, and statler needs smaller hands! That's really all of my criticism there. And btw... the reason I have such high standards? I'm an only child. :big_grin:

These look nothing less than spectacular!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Actually not really, to be the coolest Muppet merch year ever you'd need to be bowled over by the amount of Muppet stuff in mainstream stores, new products coming out of the wazzoo, and a blitz of media and promotion to back it up. This, while great, is just one (albeit fantastic) line which is under-promoted and doesnt get enough attention from the big toy stores to make it successful enough - the problem isn't US - it's THEM !. There isnt as much Muppet merchandise coming out this year compared to the previous two and we don't know yet whether the other licenses we know about (Ssssh !) will be of decent quality. Good year ? Yes, Best ever ? I doubt it !

Look back to the entropic days of the mid 80's and you'll find true greatness dude - all the big names supporting the Muppets !. I actually think 2004 will be a lot better than 03 because we'll have the new show airing, and with the Valentine deal going through there'll be a strong JHC prescense at the licensing show this year and they'll probably get a LOT of new deals done there and we'll see the new products debut mid next year in addition to the excellent Palisades stuff. BTW - yeah Clifford is very 'off' indeed, the body looks like one of those Osbournes kubrick things with the stick hands but it's a really early proto.
1) Have to reword...BEST Muppet merch year in over a decade. Did you see the Toy Fair pix????? Oh no, theyre not coming out with a bazillion Kermit and Animal items like every year:rolleyes:
No, theyre coming out with obscure Muppet stuff, and that to me is infinite times cooler than yet more Kermit/Piggy/Animal snoozefest merchandise that weve seen fobbed out on us over the years. I stand by my though...no other year has the sheer freaking volume of obscure to super obscure figures and pvcs, along with those 'hushed' licences coming out.

Did you imply 2004 would see the new show, and not Fall of 2003? Please tell me this isnt true. If the new show doesnt happen in 2003 Im already calling it a dead and wasted year.

finally, yeah that Clifford...YIKES! Doesnt even look like a Muppet figure...I mean I know Janice was pretty darn tall, and remenescent fo something ou tof Jabba's palace(not the features, but the overall tallness), and Newsman's head was much bigger than his body and all...but MAN! Clifford is wayyyyyyyyy off. Looked liked they put an aliens facehugger figure on top of a WWF Vince MCmahon figure!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
finally, yeah that Clifford...YIKES! Doesnt even look like a Muppet figure...I mean I know Janice was pretty darn tall, and remenescent fo something ou tof Jabba's palace(not the features, but the overall tallness), and Newsman's head was much bigger than his body and all...but MAN! Clifford is wayyyyyyyyy off. Looked liked they put an aliens facehugger figure on top of a WWF Vince MCmahon figure!
Well maybe that's why they didn't display him with the rest of the figures. :eek:

Luke

Reaction score
Did you imply 2004 would see the new show, and not Fall of 2003? Please tell me this isnt true. If the new show doesnt happen in 2003 Im already calling it a dead and wasted year.
There's been a rumor they were in the studio at one point a few months ago but i'd hazard a guess that was for a pilot or something. Other than that, they'd need to be in full production pretty soon for a fall air date. It's my guess they'll shoot in the summer and we'll see it early 2004. This year isn't wasted though, the hold is probably that they can make a last minute call on the show once Valentine moves in even though it was green lighted by Fox - and as i said, after that all things will be go and 2004 should be quite a year. They'll use the rest of this year to do the groundwork for that.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
'Round here, taping begins in July for the fall season. That starts in September. Pilots could be different.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah they still definitely have some time to make it for fall, but i would be expecting to hear something very soon if thats what they want. The thing is ...... puppet shows are notorious for long delays, massive amounts of editing, taking way longer to shoot - then you got the politics of the network clearing it, the scheduling people finding a place for it, let alone the promotions people agreeing that the time is 'right' and doing their part of the legwork. 'Roseanne' it aint !

I remember ALF took like twice as much studio time as a normal sitcom and they often worked into the night or over-ran into weekends.

radionate

Reaction score
My educated guess is that we will see the show as a mid season replacement in the Spring of '04. That makes the most sense to me in a way, as I might not get so easily lost in the shuffle, and might get more press that way too.

Misfit Toy

Reaction score

No, theyre coming out with obscure Muppet stuff, and that to me is infinite times cooler than yet more Kermit/Piggy/Animal snoozefest merchandise that weve seen fobbed out on us over the years. I stand by my though...no other year has the sheer freaking volume of obscure to super obscure figures and pvcs, along with those 'hushed' licences coming out.

Here here!!

Kermit's certainly gotta be my childhood hero (next to Batman...) so I love him to death...but we only need SO MUCH KERMIT!

LOOK at our collections! The Electric Mayhem! Crazy Harry! Lew Zealand! Most of these characters have never even been made in three dimensions before!

My gawd I LOOOVE this line.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
My educated guess is that we will see the show as a mid season replacement in the Spring of '04. That makes the most sense to me in a way, as I might not get so easily lost in the shuffle, and might get more press that way too.
Mid-season replacements never do as well as shows that start in the fall for some reason. Probably because in the spring and summer people are out of the house more but in fall and winter they stay in.