"Toy Story 4" in early planning stages

Nick22

Reaction score
I also have to agree with the majority. I honestly would be extremely upset if there were to be a Toy Story 4. It's completely unnecessary and I like it as a trilogy. I haven't seen Cars 2 yet. I'm hoping it's good. I don't know why it needed a sequel in the first place.

Scooterfan5

Reaction score
NO! The whole story wrapped up nicely in the third film. I do not think they should make another film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But, you know, I hear John Lassiter is contractually obligated to make a fourth installment. This here makes me feel like the cast & crew don't really want to make an unnecessary sequel! I just really object to this fourth movie idea!
Contractual obligation... are there any more chilling words in the entertainment business than contractual obligation? If this is true, than I hope everyone fights it. Anything after 3 rarely turns out to be any good, though Shrek 4 seemed a lot less disposable DTV quality than Shrek 3.

Toy Story 3 was all about completion. They went past the hideous Disney imposed plotline of recalled Buzz and rejected characters from the Brave Little Toaster movies and made a coming of age/white slavery character piece wit an ending that was so pure and emotion felt, it's in my NEVER WATCH IT AGAIN pile just under the last 10 minutes of The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson. I don't think they can recapture lightning in a bottle, and trilogy is one thing, but series of films is another.

I just saw "Cars 2" last week and even though it was gorgeous to look at and had some funny moments there was one thing that keeps bugging me. It is entirely forgettable. It's disposable. It's a movie that nobody needed except toddlers and the toy industry.
For a movie that was supposed to appeal to 4-8 year olds, it had a LOT of violence in it. And I applaud the fact they didn't dumb down the spy factor like it was an American anime dub. Surely characters didn't exactly parachute to safety. Somehow I felt it better than the first one, albeit slightly... but then again, much as I enjoy Cars, it wasn't their best work.

It's time to have a little more faith in the movie going public and get creative again! If DreamWorks were smart, they'd take this opportunity to drop their sequels and begin crafting a lineup of unique ideas to compete with Pixar's paint-by-number repetition.
First off, I'm GLAD that Dreamworks finally ditched Shrek, minus that Puss in Boots Spinoff they were going to do when they planned 6 Shrek films. Other than the fact they wanted to plan a How to Train your Dragon 2, the only other sequel is Madagascar 3... I'm NOT bothering with that one. I don't think they'd bother with many more in the future. Kung Fu Panda got steamrolled by The Hangover, and I'm SHOCKED people actually went to see "Jim Carrey acts like an idiot with Penguins" when Panda Fu was still available. Monsters Vs Aliens 2 is not going to happen due to some huge disappointment in overseas markets (that one NEEDS a sequel, if anything... at least give me toys I can FIND). But their line up of original movies doesn't sound so impressive... I mean, their big movie in 2 years will be about a snail with superpowers. :rolleyes: Yeah... and they refuse to do Monsters Vs. Aliens 2 for that...

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I really just agree with everyone, Toy Story (or any Pixar movie at all actually) should hit cheapquel territory! I really feel that they shouldn't go through with this, and if they do do this, they should go with a prequel, maybe, that would develop either Jessie and the Al's Toy Barn characters or develop Bonnie's toys like D'Snowth said.

Aaron

Reaction score
To me it doesn't sound as though Tom Hanks really knows anything. It sounds like he is making an assumption.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Geez guys! :big_grin: I just can't get enough of Toy Story, whether it's the shorts or a whole new feature. They could have a lot of fun new adventures with Bonnie, maybe they'll try to track down Bo Peep, or maybe accidentally fall into the hands of a customizer? Who knows, but I've loved every TS movie, and that's Pixars' baby, so I know any further ventures will be handled well. Yes, TS3 completed the story... with Andy, but the toys still have a lot of story to tell! :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Toy Story 4: The Copyright Wars

Poor Woody and friends fall out of Bonnie's backpack at the Dollar Store, where they find horrifying evil clones with names like Piggy and Cowboy Jones and Jane and Vegetable Man and His Wife. The knock-offs claim they can be more profitable, but Woody calls in the Big Guns, and Mickey shows up with just about everyone in order to put the clamp down and burn poor innocent Dollar Store to the ground. Realizing that even knock-offs can be played with and valued by children, Woody starts to repent his jealousy, but takes a buckshot to the head, with Gaston blowing smoke from his musket. The End. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Geez guys! :big_grin: I just can't get enough of Toy Story, whether it's the shorts or a whole new feature. They could have a lot of fun new adventures with Bonnie, maybe they'll try to track down Bo Peep, or maybe accidentally fall into the hands of a customizer? Who knows, but I've loved every TS movie, and that's Pixars' baby, so I know any further ventures will be handled well. Yes, TS3 completed the story... with Andy, but the toys still have a lot of story to tell! :smile:
Wow. You gotta respect that optimism, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm reminded of Scrubs.

Now, if anyone remembers, NBC planned on cancelling the show, but a writer's strike prevented the creators from giving the show a formal send off. ABC comes to the rescue and brings back the show for one more glorious season. The show had a beautiful, heartfelt ending... a true ride into the sunset.

Then they brought it back for another season. And it was the most low rated, unwatchable, forgettable season there ever was. Instead of fading away into the sunset beautifully, it pulled a Daffy Duck, ran back out on stage and danced around pathetically until the long cane came by and pulled them back in, not even kicking and screaming loudly.

All good things have to come to an end, eventually. Jim and company felt 5 seasons was enough for the Muppet Show, Fraggles left television on the highest possible note when HBO was threatening to reformat it as a preschool show.

To me, Toy Story three ended on the highest possible note. A glorious, heartfelt, tear welling, beautiful goodbye. Sure, I can see more short segments, some comic book continuations... maybe a holiday special. But a fourth movie would be pushing it, no matter HOW good the story is. It would further blur the lines between them and Dreamworks (their next batch of films don't sound half as good as their last few), and we don't want to see that happen. Pixar makes animated movies kids like that, if filmed in live action, could be considered art house films. Up was praised for having raw emotions other movies just don't have anymore (even those lame Oscar Bait cryfests, which come off mechanical). Cars 2 was a nice break from that, but I'm drooling over Brave. I wouldn't doubt another Cars would be made, but another TS is just too much.