1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

TV Alert: The Muppets at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Nov 23, 2016.

1. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Thanks!

2. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I wondered about that too. While I'm glad they didn't use a 'fake' :) like they did on America's Got Talent in 2009, it was a little weird that he just had a brief cameo with no speaking lines. But I definitely liked the ending with :mad: and Tony Bennett.

I think you meant to say 'Statler' there.

Duke Remington likes this.
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Completely awesome, I loved every bit of it! Scooter cuing the opening, the opening done in the style of "Hey, a Movie" and I agree, the Electric Mayhem rocked it!

Does anyone have a clip of Piggy's duet with Tony Bennett? I'd like to judge for myself since it's getting mixed reviews in this thread so far.

heralde and scooterfan360 like this.
  4. MUPPETFAN1976

MUPPETFAN1976 Active Member

This was amazing!!
    I loved the opening songs and Tony Bennett's duo with Miss Piggy!
    (By the way, yes, I did watch the whole thing)

scooterfan360 and Duke Remington like this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Tony Bennett thing was super awkward. Tony really can't sing anymore and some parts he sounded like he was yelling rather then singing. The sound was really off, some of Miss Piggy's lines were barely audible and Tony Bennett looked like he was half asleep. And then there was the fact that when the float started moving again, Tony almost fell over. He just seemed kind of out of it.

6. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I agree, he was like "woah" when it started moving. He just leaned against the float if anything Piggy moved way more then him.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  7. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Maybe Steve put his foot down and actually wanted to spend Thanksgiving in Atlanta with his family? Who knows? The focus was probably going to be on Piggy anyway and the opening song was pre-recorded. They really didn't need him there for a just-over-a-minute song.

8. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well Lips or Rizzo weren't there either.

JimAndFrank likes this.
  9. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Exactly. Even if Lips and Rizzo were there, Rizzo would've ended up on someone else's arm and Lips would've just been playing the trumpet, so again, it wouldn't be necessary for Steve to perform him.

LeahXZoot4Evur likes this.
  10. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

The entire parade is on YT. After you watch the beginning, skip to 2:01:07 to see Piggy and Tony Bennett:

11. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. I guess it is a little too soon to be concerned about this. I mean they did advertise 'The Muppets' opening the parade rather than 'Kermit the Frog.' I'm sure Kermit/Steve will be around for future projects.

12. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Beaker and Statler, actually.

Everything else in the parade, save for the Muppet and Sesame stuff, and some of the Broadway numbers (there seem to be more and more every year) was kind of underwhelming. The Muppets are better at lip sync than half of the humans in the parade...

Anyway, great opening number, and loved the throwback to Muppet Caper! A nice way of throwing in an old favorite, and changing the lyrics a bit when there's simply no time to write a new song. And of course, seeing the full-body EM members again was great. Someone else was filling in for Eric as Animal, I guess. And as mentioned, Steve evidently wasn't there, hence the lack of Lips, and that we barely saw Kermit. Heck, for all we know, Statler and Beaker's voices were provided by someone else for the pre-recorded singing. But I doubt it.

I had issues going on at home while Piggy and Tony Bennett sang, so I only caught glimpses of it, but I didn't find out about Tony nearly falling over until later on. I do know, however, that he did not look well! The Muppet crew must really, really like him, and vice versa. Sounds like they were singing live. That may explain the bad audio.

The Sesame float was what it typically is - enjoyable. Even if some of the lyrics to that song seemed like forced rhyming schemes. And of course, the slight emptiness without Gordon, Bob, et al. crammed on board. But hey, a handful of puppeteer acquaintances were filling in for the main group that was busy over on the Muppet segments, so that was something cool to see.

Holy frog, you guys, we just saw the Muppet Show Muppets and Sesame Muppets in the same production! Take that, franchise owners! Although it's rather unfortunate that the Henson company can't even use the "M" word on social media.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    Pig's Laundry and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  13. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Somewhat unrelated but, is it just me or is the "Cats" musical always at the parade? Also, they seem to sing the same song every single time.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  14. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Must be a tradition. When we used to have Boomsday celebration over here, the fireworks show always ended the same way with the same pyrotechnics.

Then again, look at the Muppets themselves: for a while there, Piggy singing "Santa Baby" was becoming her annual thing.

15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, how many songs from "Cats" can you name other than the one they usually do?

16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Lol, I wish! ;)

Well those are their two big show stoppers.

17. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

All of them, but, I'm weird. :halo:

18. MUPPETFAN1976

MUPPETFAN1976 Active Member

Speaking of Broadway performances, I loved Cirque du Soleil's performance of "The Hollywood Wiz." Very catchy and fun.

19. Saw the Macy's 90th Thanksgiving Parade, and the Muppets opening was the coolest one ever! What I really enjoyed was Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem's version of Twist and Shout! The band proved that they can make any cover of a classic rock song a great one, and their performances at Outside Lands and at the Macy's Parade are proof of this. It was also cool that the Illinois High School marching band along with the other dancers in the parade joined the band in the song. That performance just made me fall in love with the Electric Mayhem even more, especially Dr. Teeth saying 'baby' a few times in the song as well (which was the first time Bill Barretta has done so, since Love Ya to Death, which had the word 'baby' also, done by Jim Henson). It's official: I'm just wild in love with Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. :dreamy::flirt: If they kept doing great performances like this, maybe they'll have a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and/or get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame as well. These shows really made 2016 a year to remember for them, and it rocked. :D:sing::flirt::cool::halo:

MikaelaMuppet likes this.