TV Alert: The Muppets on "Good Luck Charlie" Season 4 premiere April 28, 2013

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Lol, you guys are funny :smile:

To answer Dwayne1115 and Muppetlover123, yeah there was one shot where I did two chickens, just as I've been doing almost 34 years ago since Great Muppet Caper. Often it's harder when you have larger characters. Sometimes it's not too bad if you have a good position and not too many responsibilities in the shot. Strangely, I find it harder to perform only one character on my right hand (I'm left handed) than one on each. It's something to do with how the brain works I guess :wink:

The thing about shows like GLC here that you won't be aware of is that these sets are not raised. That means we have nowhere to hide and are in tougher positions for our own bodies. That becomes harder in group scenes as we become a tangled mess of limbs etc. So it's harder to get our puppets looking perfect and we tire much quicker. Having puppets move across the floor becomes a real trial.

I personally think GLC is a harmless fun show and has some laughs in it. Everyone I know really cares about the Muppets and really wants the best for those characters and the fans. What you should understand is that everyone running things there are actually fans too, with hearts and souls (and kids sometimes).

The more Muppets can do appearances like these, the more everyone can get into their stride.

Oh by the way, well spotted - yes, brand new chickens for the movie, lol! Their beaks actually move much nicer than before, so that's a good thing :smile:

Now, be nice to each other and try to keep positive as everyone's trying their best, lol!
Thanks for the info! Was Steve performing Kermit with his left hand for this? It looked that way and would explain the apparent wonkiness others have mentioned.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The more Muppets can do appearances like these, the more everyone can get into their stride.
Just NO more polarizing reality show appearances. Family viewed competition shows are an exception... just... I'm going to say this one more time and let it go... The Bachelor?!?! Good Frog, what were they thinking?!? :wink:

Thanks for the info! Was Steve performing Kermit with his left hand for this? It looked that way and would explain the apparent wonkiness others have mentioned.
Must've been a bit tired going back and forth from the movie shoot too.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The thing about shows like GLC here that you won't be aware of is that these sets are not raised. That means we have nowhere to hide and are in tougher positions for our own bodies. That becomes harder in group scenes as we become a tangled mess of limbs etc. So it's harder to get our puppets looking perfect and we tire much quicker. Having puppets move across the floor becomes a real trial.
I was starting to think that might be the case. Looking back at it, things did look a bit cramped, especially using the GLC set which is obviously not made for puppet work

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Has it been mentioned that the song they performed was actually written by Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne? Yup. The same people who penned "Stacy's Mom." The song was really Muppety too. These professional touches prove how much Disney really cares about the Muppets. No half-baked hacky songwriting for them. They get quality! :cool: I hope the Muppets make more appearances like this to help bring more audience members to the new movie. My only gripe is the absence of Gonzo. And Scooter. And Rowlf. And Pepe. And Janice. And...well, I'm a fan. What do you expect!!?? :wink:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Lol, you guys are funny :smile:

To answer Dwayne1115 and Muppetlover123, yeah there was one shot where I did two chickens, just as I've been doing almost 34 years ago since Great Muppet Caper. Often it's harder when you have larger characters. Sometimes it's not too bad if you have a good position and not too many responsibilities in the shot. Strangely, I find it harder to perform only one character on my right hand (I'm left handed) than one on each. It's something to do with how the brain works I guess :wink:

I personally think GLC is a harmless fun show and has some laughs in it. Everyone I know really cares about the Muppets and really wants the best for those characters and the fans. What you should understand is that everyone running things there are actually fans too, with hearts and souls (and kids sometimes).

Oh by the way, well spotted - yes, brand new chickens for the movie, lol! Their beaks actually move much nicer than before, so that's a good thing :smile:

Now, be nice to each other and try to keep positive as everyone's trying their best, lol!
I think as a fan we take things like that for granted,and don't think about it. I think in the back of my mind that every set is built for the Muppets in mind. Now that I think about it however that would be kind of crazy. It kind of reminds me of what Brian Henson once said that every shot with Muppets in them csn be a challenge becuase they are all a special effect shot.

I also agree with you Mike that the more shows like this the Muppets do is great, and would only boost there chances of maybe one day getting there own show. What kind of bothers me though, is that there are a lot of professional actors/writers/directors that do not work with the Muppets on the everyday, and they think they can write a Muppet script. Now a show like GLC is ok because even if the Muppets where slightly out of what they would normally say or do they still stay true to themselves.

Looking back I think what bothered me the most was the fact that it was a dream, and that it took some of the realness of the Muppets away. I recall in the book Street Gang how there was a huge debate about where the Muppets would be in the show. The original idea was that they would live and play in there own separate world, but Jim Henson fought to make it seem liked they really lived on the street. Which in return made them seem more "real". Looking back at it now though I understand why this was a dream and it makes sense, and dose not take away the "realness" of the Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My only gripe is the absence of Gonzo. And Scooter. And Rowlf. And Pepe. And Janice. And...well, I'm a fan. What do you expect!!?? :wink:
I wonder how much of this was based on availability. You look at the Cosby Show episode with the Muppets, and the only famous character is Gonzo because they were filming the Disney World thing.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Has it been mentioned that the song they performed was actually written by Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne? Yup. The same people who penned "Stacy's Mom." The song was really Muppety too. These professional touches prove how much Disney really cares about the Muppets. No half-baked hacky songwriting for them. They get quality! :cool: I hope the Muppets make more appearances like this to help bring more audience members to the new movie. My only gripe is the absence of Gonzo. And Scooter. And Rowlf. And Pepe. And Janice. And...well, I'm a fan. What do you expect!!?? :wink:
Yeah, he also writes for Sesame Street, making "I Wonder" and the "Elmo the Musical" theme, which are both at high ranks on my list.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The only issue I have is that the song seemed like it was a bit high for Steve, other then that it seemed like a good and very upbeat muppety song.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Looking back I think what bothered me the most was the fact that it was a dream, and that it took some of the realness of the Muppets away. I recall in the book Street Gang how there was a huge debate about where the Muppets would be in the show. The original idea was that they would live and play in there own separate world, but Jim Henson fought to make it seem liked they really lived on the street. Which in return made them seem more "real". Looking back at it now though I understand why this was a dream and it makes sense, and dose not take away the "realness" of the Muppets.
Having the Muppets actually appear as themselves wouldn't take away the realness of themselves; it takes away the realness of the actual sitcom. Read this page at Muppet Wiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Appearances_in_outside_fictional_universes