1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

TV Alert: The Muppets on "Good Luck Charlie" Season 4 premiere April 28, 2013

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

P.S.: I also remember hearing Frank say somewhere that "People want Piggy to be b****y". And he's absolutely correct in this case--so many of these writers have been doing just that, thus destroying her character and making her dislikable.

2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, let's be honest; some of her best/funniest moments are when she's angry.

muppetlover123 likes this.
  3. Duke Remington

To quote Waldorf, "Such is not the case here, however".

4. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

You're just being harsh. I'm sure Jim Lewis and Kirk Thatcher are aware that there's more to Piggy than being angry.

5. Oscarfan

He may be a little...dramatic...but Piggy's characterization has been a major issue since Jim's passing. The last movie had her in fine form.

6. Duke Remington

If that's the case, then they should not have allowed the GLC writers to do what they did, for example.

7. Duke Remington

I will admit to being dramatic, but I really had to get it off my chest.

As I said before, I agree that she was just right in the movie. It's just that most of us wish that everything else she's in would keep her that way.

8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I don't know who coerced who about the public loving one note joke Piggy, but we indeed have had that problem longer than anyone thinks. Of course, that's due to TV appearances, interviews specifically... NONE of that comes out in major projects. VMX and especially the last Muppet movie gave the character the depth she deserves. The problem isn't so much that the character has Flanderized, so much as those TV appearances are scripted to be. Not to mention that it's painfully obvious that the GLC writers kinda have no hold on the characters, and resorted to writing what they think they are.

I wouldn't worry. Piggy may have had a short temper in the movies, but it was along side a very deep characterization.

Duke Remington likes this.
  9. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Being cruel to Kermit and the other Muppets is one thing, but Charlie is just a little girl. She does need to loosen up more.

Sorry to post so late, but I just saw this online now. I don't know what I'm going to do when "Girl Meets World" comes out, I guess I'll have to subscribe to the Disney Channel.

I'm not sure I totally agree with that. Frank's Piggy only seemed to get aggressive if she felt insulted or was provoked, I don't think they would have had her chase a small child just for prefering bears over pigs especially if she had initiated the question herself. But then again, she did try to attack Big Bird when he was on The Muppet Show, so you never know.

Yeah. Even as recently as It's a Very Muppet Christmas Movie she admitted to loving them all like cousins, now about a year back or so she said that the others were only Kermit's friends, not hers. That's quite sad.

Well, yeah, but when it's provoked, not to the extent where she's going after a four-year-old who was just minding her own business.

10. Duke Remington

She also harmed Robin in the Linda Lavin episode's Vet's Hospital sketch. But then again, it's one thing for her to harm other Muppets, but to do to that to a non-Muppet kid is crossing the line.

That's very true. I wish more modern Muppet productions would take hints from VMX and the 2011 movie (two productions that actually did succeed in getting Piggy's character right) in regards to things like this more frequently and not forget such often-overlooked character dynamics as Piggy caring about the other Muppets and regarding them as her friends deep down, even if she doesn't always admit it.

I wonder... Since the Muppet material in their GLC appearance was written by GLC writers and not by any of the Muppet writers (Jim Lewis, Kirk Thatcher, etc.), I wonder if most of the recent appearances (various talk show appearances and interviews, some press release interviews like some of the ones done at the time of the 2011 film's release, etc.) that slam us with the Flanderized Piggy were written by the people in charge of those shows or whatever and not by Jim, Kirk or any of the Muppet people.

11. Daffyfan2003

I think that's been the problem over the years, different puppeteers, different writers and things like that. You're right that they need to take hints from VMX and the 2011 movie or heck, maybe they'll even see this forum and realize that they're wrong. On a similar subject, I don't know if anyone's seen The Looney Tunes Show on CN. I'm assuming so, since I've noticed a few people here post on the Toonzone Forums as well. Recall how Daffy was a slanderous jerk in the first season, but once the second season started, he sort of toned down. Hopefully Disney will get the message and this will happen with :mad: as well. (I think while we're on this topic, maybe we should change the "emotion" for the Miss Piggy smilie. Maybe that's what's giving people a bad impression of her. Lol.)

12. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Hey, let's all remember, Teddy was dreaming this all, and she probably isn't a huge fan like us. That's the only way she knew Piggy to act. So yeah...

13. Oscarfan

Dammm, that's some good thinkin' right there.

14. Daffyfan2003

Well, that's a good point, but did the show's writers take that into consideration? I still think that was more of Piggy crossing the line. Hopefully, they won't portray her like that in future projects.

15. Duke Remington

They should never have portrayed her like that, period.

16. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Yeah...that's one way to think about it but I doubt that's what the writers were going for. Besides, Teddy was nowhere to be seen in the last scene. It was just Charlie. Why would Charlie imagine Miss Piggy coming after her? In that case, why would Teddy imagine her attacking her own sister? It still doesn't totally make sense...

17. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I was kidding, I know the writers didn't have that in mind. :p Just trying to calm down the crowd. ;)

Mo Frackle likes this.
  18. Daffyfan2003

That's true. If this girl cares enough for her sister to make videos about how to handle problems when she becomes a teenager, why would she turn the other way and dream about Miss Piggy uncharacteristically attacking her? Heck, even Oscar the Grouch has more of a soft spot for kids.

That's a good thought. Maybe we did lose our cools over this too much over this, but still I think it's a legitimate reason for Muppet fans to be upset. Again, her nasty personality wasn't just at GLC, but in quite a few of her recent appearances as well.

19. Duke Remington

Totally true.

But Piggy pretty much always had a soft spot for kids, mostly when Frank was still doing her. They even made it clear a couple of times that Piggy liked kids. And her actions on GLC clearly go against that.

Who wrote for the Muppets in their recent appearances in The Bachelorette, Good Morning America, etc.? I now doubt that it might've been Jim Lewis or Kirk Thatcher.

Then again, Thatcher did direct the Case of the Stolen Show interactive game for the Disney Cruise Line. And it's introductory scene has Piggy getting ticked off when Kermit says that the props for the show were stolen, making him unable to think about a dinner date with her. She just says "We'll talk about this later" and storms off. By comparison, I think the old Piggy would've gotten just as distressed about the whole thing and maybe go something like "Oh no! If we can't do the show, moi won't be able to do her big number! Let's do this thing!" or something like that and maybe act a little more helpful, even if it may have been for slightly selfish reasons like that (similar to her whole "I didn't come all the way from Paris to not be on TV" bit from the movie).

That kind of renews my ill feeling that Kirk, Jim and Eric maybe don't fully understand her character and how to approach her properly at all, even though I don't want to finger them.

20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The true problem is, the Muppets need a regular project that allows them to be deep. Only times I see Piggy act like that is in small TV appearances, interviews especially. I don't so much think it's not having a handle on the character so much as an inability to show any of it in interview form.