TV special to commemorate Kermit's 50 Years

mummytomb

Reaction score
So,
What's the new story on this project?
Anything?
Disney was so full of promises, and yet, we've seen nothing but the old stuff and what was in production when they bought.

Luke

Reaction score
It was cancelled ... but there are some nice Kermit 50th merchandise items around.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Luke said:
It was cancelled ... but there are some nice Kermit 50th merchandise items around.
Well, that's a pity. I did start another thread about Disney doing something right with regards to DVD's but I'm beginning to wonder...

Luke

Reaction score
It was reported that all projects in development aside from "Next Muppet" were cancelled. I think it might have been on Gelfingwaldo. I'm not sure what their source was.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
wow this is really sad I think this roast was the thing I was really looking forward to the most....shesh they could atleast release the muppets cellibrate 30 years on dvd but then I think a certan place just may freez over :halo:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
It's probably been canned. It's sad, because of all the projects announced last year, this was the one I was looking forward to the most. I don't even care if it's direct-to-video (a la A Celebration of Me, Grover), just do it! It would have been great! When else is Kermit gonna have a 50th anniversary? And if "Kermit's World Tour" has really been cancelled, then I don't really know what they're doing.

It's ironic. For years between the Disney merger of 1989 and the 2004 buyout of the Muppets, people were demonizing Michael Eisner for not caring about the Muppets and trying to make them shadows of their former selves...although he never owned them!

Then in 2004, Disney takes control and Eisner puts Chris Curtin, in charge of the Muppets division. He was considered one of his "goons," but in 2005 we heard plans for many new, exciting projects and it seemed they were gettin' things done. But when the Eisner era ended and Bob Iger came into power, things changed.

Say what you want about Eisner. He may have been polarizing, but he loved the Muppets OR at least enough to make money off them. Iger sacked Curtin and other MHC heads the first second he got in. Iger may be good for Disney as a whole--he really patched things up with Pixar and even bought Oswald the Lucky Rabbit for crying out loud! And most importantly to me, he renewed my favorite show "Kim Possible" for a fourth season, which was my main focal point and obsession for all of 2005.

I don't love or hate Eisner or Iger--never think about it really--but when it comes to our beloved Muppets, the two apparently have different ideas.

And that's my rant.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
I agree BoyRaisin2. On the surface it seems Iger doesn't care for the Muppets. I would love to see Eisner and some private investors buy the Muppets back from Disney and develop the Muppets on their own.

I have to admit it is surprising that even the 50th year anniversary special has apparently been cancelled. Why cancel a special? Even specials make money for the networks. If they had gone through with it, maybe Ford and Pizza Hut would have been it's major sponsors.