TV Tropes

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the Little Rascals were among the first (if not the first) to do a story like that. Or at least a similar version. As early as 1925's "Circus Fever", where some of the kids pretend to be sick in order to get out of school and go to the circus, only to find out too late that their teacher is taking the whole class to the circus.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I remember that Hey Arnold episode about them playing hooky and then it turns out it was carnival day at school. Even as a kid I thought, "That wouldn't happen." Lol

snichols1973

Reaction score

"Can't Get Away With Nuthin' " is more of a "no bad deed goes unpunished" trope, while "Failure Is The Only Option" is somewhat reminiscent of O. Henry's "The Cop and the Anthem" short story, featuring a tramp by the name of Soapy who tries to get himself arrested because the prison provides a seasonal shelter from the cold winter environment.

Soapy commits various petty crimes, with undesirable results; however, O. Henry's stories are often known for their ironic twists, and Soapy eventually gets sent to prison for "nothing", i.e., vagrancy.

Apart from the ironic twist ending, O. Henry's 'The Cop and the Anthem" pretty much sums up "Failure Is The Only Option" in a nutshell.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember that Hey Arnold episode about them playing hooky and then it turns out it was carnival day at school. Even as a kid I thought, "That wouldn't happen." Lol
I knew there was another Hey Arnold example. I was thinking of the one where Harold tried to get suspended, and when he did, he was so board, he had to sneak back into school where he... well... hid in a dumpster and was covered by "STUPID CHEESE!!"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why does THE BIG BANG THEORY have individual trope pages for each individual season of the show? Why does THE BIG BANG THEORY NEED individual trope pages for each individual season of the show?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is THE BIG GREEN an obscure movie or something? I've noticed there's no page for it whatsoever on TV Tropes, I'm considering of starting one for it myself when I get a little extra time: two tropes I can think off the top of my head for it: Ragtag Bunch of Misfits (obviously) and Dueling Movies (with Warner Bros' THE LITTLE GIANTS).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm disappointed the Last Flight of the stupid computer graphics film doesn't have a page or a mention on "so Bad, it's Good" or"So Bad, It's Horrible" yet.

I wanna see people rip it apart.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've found the Cult Classics page, and I am shocked to see that The Muppet Show and Muppet movies are not listed (ditto for anything Sesame Street). I would think that would be popular enough (at least as popular as Looney Tunes, which is listed).

There's a few other shows I don't see listed under cult classics that I think would belong. The Simpsons, Family Guy, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....

I know, I could just add them there (and hope nobody removes them).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Doesn't cult classic refer to something that isn't necessarily popular or well-known within pop culture, let alone the general public, yet has a dedicated following of its own fans just the same? I really don't think the Muppets, or anything else you mentioned kind of fall into those categories, since they are big parts of pop culture.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sesame Street a cult classic? Not only is Sesame Street mainstream, it's like the most mainstream OF mainstream, and most of the Earth's population has seen it in some form or another. Elmo is highly recognizable, as are Cookie Monster and Big Bird. There's no way it has the status of a show that got canned too quickly or movie that wasn't appreciated until decades later.