Up discussion (Possible spoilers)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I finally got to see this, since I waited a little while to see it in 3-D. Definitely worth paying twice the amount I usually pay for a movie.

After being assaulted by adverts for movies about farting, pooping hamsters (which screamed "We wrote this on the toilet after hearing that the Alvin movie was a surprise success"), Eddie Murphy acting like a putz for a formulaic family flick, and commercials for Not Cartoon Network's new Not cartoon line up (perhaps the most soul-crushingist thing I've seen in a while), this movie was... just indescribably wonderful on so many levels.

Only Pixar would have the guts to have a movie who's biggest star is Ed Asner, and features such a sad sequence at the very beginning. The movie makes you run through the whole gamete of human emotions, and it leaves you feeling full and satisfied. It has a very strong sweetness to it. and not puppies and kitties and unicorns, false saccharine sweetness, but real genuine human emotional sweetness.

Every main character has depth that you just don't see watching the previews. it isn't just an odd couple of a grouchy old man and a over zealous bouncy kid.... It's the story of an elderly man who's become lonely and feels he let his dreams and promises slip through his fingers. It's the story of a young boy seeking guidance to replace his all too busy dad. it's the story of how they cope with their promises and goals. And it's also a story with perhaps the most endearing talking dog to grace the screen since, perhaps Oliver and Company. I would say Doug stole the show, but there was plenty of show to go around for each character.

The only disappointment I had was that I couldn't walk down to McD's and get a hamburger kids meal for a little Doug figure to perch on a desk or book shelf. But that was up to Pixar... shame there isn't all that much merchandise.

As far as ranking, I have to say Pixar never made a bad film. it never made a disappointing film. Even my 2 least favorites, Bug's Life and Cars left me awestruck and loving the film and their characters. And then there are films that I like so much, I can't bare to rank them. And Up is right in there. I mean, if I had to choose, I'd say probably The Incredibles would be my top favorite. Can't say where everything else figures in...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I saw it again in 3D as well, but I really didn't notice a big difference. However, it did make the movie have more depth. It looked more real.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I saw the film both with 3D and without. Both were great, and I really appreciated that the 3D version wasn't a constant jumbling of junk flying at the audience's face and all around "cheap 3D tricks". It felt natural and appropriate. It was an enjoyable experience.

The worst part about seeing it in 3D was the obnoxious trailers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The worst part about seeing it in 3D was the obnoxious trailers.
I dunno... the trailer to Ice Age 3 looked pretty good. At least the Scratt segment. And seeing the Toy Story Teaser in 3-D was pretty amazing. I saw it twice on my computer screen, but didn't really get amazed by it until I saw it bigger and Louder.

And yeah, it was pretty subtle 3-D. They made a movie FIRST, a 3-D film second. So it doesn't take away from the touching and adventurous story. Kinda wish I spent the extra 6 bucks to see Monsters VS Aliens in 3-D though.

I will say, I wanted to reach out and punch those annoying hamsters. Ohh yeah, OH! They fart and have ethnic stereotype personalities... yeah... didn't see that in every single talking dog film ever made.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Oh yeah, those awful trailers. I guess "effort" isn't in Disney's vocab anymore. (Although, the Princess and the Frog trailer looked nice)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh yeah, those awful trailers. I guess "effort" isn't in Disney's vocab anymore. (Although, the Princess and the Frog trailer looked nice)
Didn't get to see that one. Too bad they had to put that horrible Eddie Murphy thing in there instead. I really wanted to see that preview on the big screen.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
One my first time seeing ti, I only saw the G-force and Princess trailers. And when I went the second time, they had Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, TS3, G-Force and Ice Age (they showed the shor tin between the trailers for some reason).

JJandJanice

Reaction score
You know I gotta tell ya, I've seen this movie twice already (both in 3D) and both times I cried during the first half hour of the movie, :cry:.

The way you feel for these characters in this movie is just wonderful.

It does have a certain way of seperating itself from the other Pixar movies though, I'm not totally sure what it is, and needless to say since I'm a huge fan of Disney and Pixar (anyone who knows me will tell you that), that's not a knock on past Pixar movies.

As for the previews, yeah G-Force looks awful and again that's coming from me, :smile:. Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs, well what can I say about that one, I guess it will be fun if you're maybe six or seven. Ice Age 3 looks decent enough. And sadly I never get to see the whole TS3 trailer, I always come in when it's like almost done, :sympathy:.

But to anyone whom is reading this thread and hasn't seen Up yet, please go do it. It's well worth the 7 to 9 bucks you'll pay to see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for the previews, yeah G-Force looks awful and again that's coming from me, :smile:. Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs, well what can I say about that one, I guess it will be fun if you're maybe six or seven. Ice Age 3 looks decent enough. And sadly I never get to see the whole TS3 trailer, I always come in when it's like almost done, :sympathy:.
I'm very on the fence about Cloudy... When I first saw the trailer of that one, I felt my heart sink. They basically take a book about a grandpa telling an imaginary story about an unexplainable event, and basically try to rationalize it as "Oh, an endearing scientist did it!" It does look like there's some charm in it, after seeing the trailer again, but it seems like every single Not Pixar CGI kid's film I've ever seen. Ice Age 3.... again, I think that one's pushing it. Blue Sky has likable characters, beautiful animation, but incompletely formed plots and scripts.

But G-Force smacks of cheap laughs for 5 year olds, and jaded cheap jokes for Daddies of 5 year olds who are reluctantly dragged to those kinds of films, instead of seeing big macho action film to try to pretend they aren't in a mundane marriage to a rapidly aging woman that had a bunch of yapping 5 year old kids. Can I call'em or what? But hey, it's Disney. They need their annoying live action rapping/farting/obsolete slang uttering/falsely ethnic/wisecracking furry thing film of the year. All the 3-D effects in the trailer made me wish I could reach out and throttle all of them. Even Elmyra would find them unlovable.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
But G-Force smacks of cheap laughs for 5 year olds, and jaded cheap jokes for Daddies of 5 year olds who are reluctantly dragged to those kinds of films, instead of seeing big macho action film to try to pretend they aren't in a mundane marriage to a rapidly aging woman that had a bunch of yapping 5 year old kids. Can I call'em or what? But hey, it's Disney. They need their annoying live action rapping/farting/obsolete slang uttering/falsely ethnic/wisecracking furry thing film of the year. All the 3-D effects in the trailer made me wish I could reach out and throttle all of them. Even Elmyra would find them unlovable.
I don't know what's up with Disney's latest movies of live action. CGI anmation, but they've all been fairly bad in the past couple of years, :sympathy:.

But to be fair it's the top "trend" in movies today and it's not just Disney doing it. I mean I guess thier all fun and entertaining for young kids, but overall they lack anything that would make even so much as a pre-teen enjoy it, unlike pixar's movies and some Dreamworks movies, which is all animation. It's odd to me, that there is just better writing for one and not the other, maybe I'm missing something, :confused:

Oh and if Elmya did get her hands on those little pests, I don't think I would feel as bad for them as I did for Furball, :smile:.