Victory is Ours!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Public awareness is? Of corse about a fith of the population just remeber Kermit, Miss Piggy, Animal and Gonzo from the Muppet Show, not the others and not the new ones.

I have an uncle who thought it was Animal and his Electric Mayhem!!!

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I have an uncle who thought it was Animal and his Electric Mayhem!!!
Well, thats more than most non muppet fans would know, they wouldnt have any idea who the electric mayhem are and especially dr teeth. I have seen when I have shown adult friends pictures of the palisades figures in a magazine and they thought scooter was ernie or bert and they even asked when oscar the grouch was coming out, I said he isnt from the muppet show and they said, oh!

When the Muppet Mcdonalds toys were out it was pretty sad that none of the mcdonalds staff who are around my age didnt know the names of the characters etc. they called gonzo, the blue guy and sam eagle the bird.
Maybe it was because they were so roughly made and unrecognisable. :smirk:

from,
Paul :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Actually the public awareness is a funny thing because it depends who you speak to at Henson. The press office line is 99% global awareness but most of the management use 96%. That seems very high though, i'd think if anything Kermit has the high recognition rate and not the brand as a whole or many of the other characters.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Luke said:
Actually the public awareness is a funny thing because it depends who you speak to at Henson. The press office line is 99% global awareness but most of the management use 96%. That seems very high though, i'd think if anything Kermit has the high recognition rate and not the brand as a whole or many of the other characters.
Yeah, I can believe that 99 out of 100 people would know who Kermit is.

beaker

Reaction score
Luke said:
In america, I would honestly say 99.9% of every individual of speaking age knows what a "Muppet" is, and 99.8% of those could idenify who 'big bird' is, along with elmo or kermit.

globally, I truly feel that Muppets(be it intl sesame, sesame, muppets, etc) have a higher recognition rate than Disney characters.

So...why is it us big Muppet fans seem to be more underground, than say your average Poo car window and stroller fan?

I think it is because the past decade was really a testing period for JHC, in so that nearly 4 decades of progress kind of fell out the window for awhile. So again, when I say 'Victory Is Ours", I simply mean the Muppets are back home where they belong...as we have a long way to go before real victory can be declared(ie: the return to the golden times)
But I think its a good start.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
So again, when I say 'Victory Is Ours", I simply mean the Muppets are back home where they belong...as we have a long way to go before real victory can be declared(ie: the return to the golden times)
Oh, I thought you were saying it in a Muppety, Charlies Groden,Muppets at Walt Disney World, kinda way...you know when he catches Kermit and Miss Piggy near the end, but that's just me.;-)

zack,

Luke

Reaction score
beaker said:
In america, I would honestly say 99.9% of every individual of speaking age knows what a "Muppet" is, and 99.8% of those could idenify who 'big bird' is, along with elmo or kermit.
I don't really agree, i think the early speaking ages would have trouble with Kermit and Big Bird. Elmo is a given because of Elmo's World but Sesame Street has been in quite a slump for the last few years. I think the 96% figure is nearer a more accurate one, taking that into account and also all the obscure territories where this kind of television doesn't really reach. It's probably about the same recognition rate as the Disney characters. "Muppet" when talking about recognition rates is more the 'brand' not the 'term'. The problem with any recognition of the 'Muppet' brand is that when you take Kermit and Miss Piggy away, only around 60-70% of people could really, truly identify the brand other than an educated guess of course.

beaker

Reaction score
Ok, how bout this...a 98% American recognition of cool stuff the glorious visionary hierophant Jim Henson created?

At any rate, you know I *really* admire Rivkin. I met him at MF, and was really taken aback at how warm and genuine he was, and how he really seems to have a set vision in mind (as evidenced by that JHC buyback incompany letter in May) So good things I believe!

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Another article...

NOT EASY BEING GREEN
August 4, 2003 3:00pm
Daily Variety

BERLIN --- Germany's EM.TV has finalized the sale of the Jim Henson Co. to the Henson family, although the license trader had to settle for $5 million less than what the original deal called for, the company said Friday .

In a deal struck in May, the Henson family agreed to pay EM.TV $89 million, including a cash payment of $78 million plus $11 million from the company's current cash reserves. Yet due to a contractual clause, the final price was adjusted to Jim Henson's current working capital, which means EM.TV will receive only $84 million.

Steep reduction

The sum is a fraction of the $680 million EM.TV paid for Jim Henson in 2000; even then the pricetag was seen as too high by Hollywood players who had been eyeing the Muppet maker. EM.TV did manage to sell character rights from the "Sesame Street" TV show to producer Sesame Workshop two years ago for $160 million.

Deal gives EM.TV adequate cash to pay off a remaining $14 million from a $270 million loan it received in 1999 to finance a 50% stake in the Kirch Group's Junior TV children's programming joint venture.

Rise, fall

The onetime stock market wonder saw its share price skyrocket through 1999 before it came crashing down in 2000 as financial mismanagement put the company on the verge of bankruptcy.

EM.TV said its liquidity is secured through 2004, although it is still seeking to restructure the repayment plan for a $525 million convertible bond due in 2005.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, victory is NO LONGER ours as the frog handed his reigns over to the mouse, as did the estate of a certain honey-grubbing 'chubby little cubby' of a bear. Both the Muppets (non-Sesame) and Pooh have been given COMPLETELY to the Walt Disney (no..I won't call it that)...erm, the Downhill-since-Eisner-joined-the-team-forcing-the-true-ruler-of-the-Disney-throne-to-leave Company.