1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Video: "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon" Remake

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by MuppetSpot, Oct 5, 2016.

1. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Billy's performing Ernie.

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Happy to finally see something focused on Ernie, but gosh Billy could really use some singing lessons.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    MikaelaMuppet and FoxWorthy like this.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I agree. he doesn't quite have the singing range that song requires.

Other than that, this is what they should be doing. There's nothing wrong with rerecording and reperforming songs that made the series. I don't for a moment mind most of these kinds of things. Especially in the 90's and 00's when they had the celebrity covers, both on and off the show.

Though, frankly, any remake of this is better than the Aaron Neville duet. Just... Aaron Neville. No thanks. No thanks.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  4. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Eeeek! That singing is tough to swallow. It should have been me.

5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

No. Just no.

6. Pig's Laundry

His "Change the Plan" from last season sounded a little off too. I think the problem is he's trying a bit too hard to do the voice when Steve and Jim's voices were much softer.
    I don't understand why they don't really do remakes much anymore. Songs like Rubber Duckie, C is For Cookie, Doin' the Pigeon are the show's signature songs, so it's a little sad that most of the current kids watching won't even know about them. Frankly, I think we're long overdue for some new versions of those. One I really want to see is a remake of "Do-De Rubber Duck".

7. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I would like to see a remake of Batty Bat & Monster in The Mirror with Matt performing the Count & Eric performing Grover.

8. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I don't think Billy's singing is that bad, honestly. But yeah, maybe if the song was sung in a lower key, he wouldn't have to strain himself to reach those notes.

The female singers are pretty good, though, as is the instrumentation. And I do like the use of stop-motion puppets in the background.

9. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

It's cute enough. I don't mind Billy's singing; he got a nice harmony near the end.

It's a shame they pretty much just stood there and sang, no real moving or effects or anything. I'm 99% certain they shot this in the studio they have at the SW offices, so there's not much they could've done compared to their studio at Kaufman-Astoria. Plus, budget thing I guess.

10. Drtooth

They've tried that since the 90's at least, often with the original audio. They even redid "La La La La" when they didn't need to.

It's a great classic and all, but hardly one of the signature character songs. I'm glad they did it, though. And I live when they did the new version of Rubber Duckie that took place in an actual bathroom, instead of a tub in dead space.

Though, if they made a new I Love Trash, I'd... I'd hope they reconsider the lyric about the "rusty trombone" since it has a...well... not friendly meaning someone's going to misinterpret.

11. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Something tells me that was for foreign audiences so they wouldn't have to worry about on-screen text getting in the way.

12. D'Snowth

Do I have to ask? Because I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what "rusty trombone" can be misinterpreted as.

Then again, apparently people on YouTube seem to interpret some kind of hidden double meaning in the "I Hate Christmas" line, "I'll tell 'im where to put his toys."

13. Pig's Laundry

That's actually kind of how I always interpreted it, to be honest.

Oh and apparently people think "Bubble on My Snuffle" is about something un-child friendly as well.

14. D'Snowth

That I can, unfortunately, understand.

15. Drtooth

If you knew what the trombone was, you'd wish you wouldn't, let's put it that way. Then again, every freaking phrase has been turned into something with a dirty meaning so "That's what she said" jokes will never run out. Though that line in I Hate Christmas pretty much does mean what you'd think. Sun don't shine and all that, you know.

Now, I'm probably in the minority, but I actually do like the stop motion remakes of the Bud Luckey cartoons, even though they lack some of the charm that Bud's animation has. Though I find the Martian Cutey one kinda lacking. I do like how the 10 Turtles on the Telephone. And I liked the contest to reanimate Pinball Number Count. The visuals are adorable. I mean, if they can take the older stuff and update it, you still have those great old songs vs new ones that are, frankly, hit or miss.

16. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I think this is the best thing to come out of the Love to Learn series. To those who think Billy's singing isn't the best, listen to 16:46 of this video. I think he sounds pretty good:

17. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Well, Jim and Steve both had a chance to sing that. Billy was about due. Hopefully, he'll do a version of "Rubber Duckie" at some point as well. :)

That is something to think about, especially with the recasts. Did Eric's Bert ever sing "Doin' the Pigeon?" Did Dave's Cookie ever sing "C is for Cookie?" Heck, I don't recall ever hearing Steve's Ernie do "Rubber Duckie," yet he did "Bein' Green" and "Rainbow Connection" as Kermit. Yeah, we're definitely about due for remakes of classic SS songs with the newer character voices as well.

18. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

This is truly one of my favorite remakes- I actually enjoy it more than the Shawn Colvin version! :)

19. Pig's Laundry

Hey I just realized, we now have versions of the song for each Ernie performer. Jim Henson played Ernie in the original, Steve did him when they did the remake with Shawn Colvin and now Billy has this version.

20. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I don't know I have a odd way of thinking about songs like this. To me this is more A Jim song then an Ernie song. I feel that most of Jim's Richard's and Jerry's songs should be left alone. Because no matter how good the other prefomers do it still just don't set well with me.