1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, May 12, 2015.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I don't know, it may leave room for Piggy to do some growing/learning/changing to win the Frog's heart this time. I don't know I personally believe and love the Kermit Piggy relationship from MTM. To see Kermit dating another pig seems off to me, but I'm going to give it a chance. I kind of also don't like the fact that Piggy has no clue who the other Muppets are. To me that seems a little off, but I could be wrong. Again I'm going to give this a chance and see where they take the Kermit and Piggy relationship.

jvcarroll likes this.
  2. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

Kermit dating other pigs is a little weird. I really hope that they don't mess up Kermit and Piggy. I'm all for growth and character development, but not changing the characters completely.
    That said, there seems to be a large amount of Gonzo in this trailer and hopefully in the pilot. Good. We need more Gonzo. More Gonzo everywhere.

heralde and dwayne1115 like this.
  3. dwayne1115

I just wonder what happened between Most wanted to the pilot that would cause Kermit and Piggy to split once again. In the 2011 movie Kermit realizes he needs Piggy and the other Muppets. In Most Wanted The Muppets and Piggy realize they need Kermit. So what happened for them to be apart again is all I'm wondering.

SpookyMania likes this.
  4. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

Yeah, the timeline doesn't really make any sense. After doing a movie in which the Muppets need Piggy to put on a show, we now have a TV show with the same basic idea and same title? Very strange.

5. dwayne1115

The fact alone of Piggy backing down and letting another woman let alone another girl pig get that close to Kermit is beyond me. dose anyone remember how Piggy use to act to most of the female guest stars who flirted with Kermit? Or what about Annie Sue, and how jealous she was of her? It just seems off to me, that's all.

SpookyMania likes this.
  6. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

“I used to imagine when I was watching the oldMuppet Show that there’d be a bar across the street [from the Muppet theater],” he says. “And after they finished doing the show, Fozzie would come up to Kermit and say, ‘You know, it wasn’t our worst.’ That’s the show I wanted to see, and that’s the show I want to do." - Bill Prady

I think he nailed it there, the original TMS was great, but going deep into these characters is way better, and Rowlf getting surgery come on, who could not like that situation.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Kermit and Miss Piggy being OOC? Bit odd, not sure I like that.

Everything else? Makes up for it. IN SPADES. :D

8. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

9. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

10. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

The Muppets aren't canon. Nothing really is. The last movie ties into their history just as much as them playing pirates, identical frog-bear twins or Dickensian characters. The Muppets are merely working actors who conform to whatever project their playing...and then run wild.

11. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I would have given my review of the teaser hours ago, but I had work to do. However, I have had the following cooking up in my head....

I was so excited when I saw the teaser this morning, but for the sake of my parents, I kept my happiness contained in the back of my mind.

So I was calm on the outside, but on the inside.......

[​IMG]
    Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel,
    My head keeps refusing to work out how it’s ‘sposed to feel.
    Like a puppy with its tongue out as it runs on down the beach?
    Like a sad baby with no mother as it soon begins to screech?
    Fans throw their hands up in the air as they all start to rejoice,
    Throwing love at the ABC for the great fantastic choice!
    Now that the Muppets finally won, it’s time for some huge fun!

Now that trailers come to surface, there are some questions we must ask!
    For instance, will the show end up living up to the huge expected task?
    Will Miss Piggy ever own up to her flaws to save her relationship?
    Or will she and Kermit’s love just dive down an unwanted dip?
    Will poor Gonzo ever come to enjoy the interview cut-a-ways?
    We all agree that Chip the Random Muppet has seen much better days.
    Is the show gonna well, or will it be a bacon wrapped ****?

[​IMG]

So basically, I took 'The Windmills of Your Mind' and used it to describe how messed up my head is while I process this whole thing!

12. dwayne1115

So 99% of the time that Kermit and Piggy are "broken up" it's Piggy's fault. What if for a change it is not her fault, but Kermit's? We all know Kermit has a short fuse when it comes to Piggy's over reacting, and pushiness,but we have never really seen where Piggy would draw the line and end there relationship. So maybe there is more to Kermit dating then first meets the eye.

13. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member

Yikes. I'm grateful for ABC to be so confident, but it really would flourish better on Wednesday, even though it's already jam-packed. Again: fingers crossed!

jvcarroll likes this.
  14. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

So insane that this show was pitched in march and filmed just the other week. Never would have imagined. And Prady is right; TMS was a vaudville variety show as it was spoofing the late 60s/70s tv style of shows. And here in 2015 that's exactly what it's doing. You have Big Bang Theory and what, 2 Broke girls still going the old school sitcom style? No brainer to go with the Office/Modern Family style. Just works incredibly well to me, and can only imagine the possibilities.

The fact this new show looks to be playing to both adult tv audiences and hardcore Muppet fans simultaneously is so so very amazing.
    People who have no interest in a modern production with the Muppets or want them to go back to vaudville can always just keep rewatching the old tapes I guess.

15. dwayne1115

The way that they are stepping away from the Muppet Show makes me wonder if they will ever release Seasons four and five of the Muppet Show.

Katzi428 and heralde like this.
  16. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Love the idea of the talk show being the show-within-the-show. Variety shows were big in the 70s, and talk shows are big now. Think of all the Jimmy Fallon or Jimmy Kimmel videos people share on Facebook the morning after they air. It's a way to stay current and allow for celebrity guests in more of a supporting role than on the original show.

17. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks for the link to the article - a really interesting read. Unfortunately there was one big thing that made me go "uh-oh", and that was the fact that the development of this has been so incredibly fast, and the pilot episode that was so-well-received wasn't actually a full pilot, but only a 10 minute piece. Muppets can do short pieces really well, it's when they start to go for longer that, in my opinion, the quality of product can start to drop off (or the audience's interest, initially captivated by the novelty factor of puppets, starts to wane). Combine such a fast development time with a product that actually hasn't even been tested to the full lengths that a show normally would during pilot season, and there's a real chance this could fizzle fast.

18. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Please don't even go there and don't read into things.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  19. RealWonderman

RealWonderman Active Member

I have no problem with Piggy here. Piggy is a diva...a Star. She has always been dismissive of the others, even in the movies, where she was just "playing" Piggy. In real life, these are just people she's worked with over the years, and since she is a diva, and quite self absorbed, it's believable that she may not have ever bothered to learn their names...just her scripts.
    It's like Madonna remembering the names of every back up dancer she ever worked with (in Piggy's mind, the other Muppets are really just back-up to her star.)

20. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Can we please stop nitpicking, worrying and get back to being positive and happy for the fact that the new show was even greenlit in the first place as well as actually looking promising overall? :rolleyes:

FletchySRF3088 and LaRanaRene like this.