Vivendi to release new Fraggle Rock DVDs and other Henson Classics

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what never-before-seen Fraggle material gets released...

Jim Henson Company, Gaiam Vivendi Kick Off Distribution Deal With 'Fraggle Rock' DVDs

"Fraggle Rock" fans, rejoice: The Jim Henson Company and Gaiam Vivendi Entertainment will kick off a new multi-year distribution agreement with the release of new DVDs to mark the 30th anniversary of the puppet show.
For the uninitiated, the Fraggles were a collection of radish-loving, musically-inclined cave dwellers who were cute enough to melt even the most hardened stalagmite. The new disc will be released in 2013 and will include never-before-seen bonus materials. Just what those extras will include remains in the planning stage, as the Jim Henson Company is still mining its archives for footage and collectibles.

"The choice of a strong home entertainment partner was incredibly important because we want to reintroduce the 'Fraggle' brand to a whole new generation," Richard Goldsmith, executive vice president of global distribution for The Jim Henson Company, told TheWrap. "The 'Fraggle Rock' reissue of DVDs and digital content will be the first step in several years of plans we have for the brand."

Among the events and consumer product launches tied to the anniversary will be the premiere of the "Fraggle Rock" television spin-off for preschoolers “Doozers." There is also a "Fraggle Rock" film in development at New Regency.

Under its new pact, Gaiam Vivendi will receive exclusive physical and digital home video distribution rights to a number of Henson properties in the United States, as well as digital distribution rights in Canada.

In addition to "Fraggle Rock," the company will re-release a number of Henson family titles such as “Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas,” “The Hoobs” and “Animal Show with Stinky and Jake,” along with new productions such as “Doozers.” The company will also make available previously unreleased Henson series such as “Construction Site.”

Goldsmith said the company spent months trying to find the perfect distribution partner, because even though DVD sales overall are on decline, childrens titles such as those Jim Henson specializes in, still attract consumers.

What secured the deal, he said, was a summit Gaiam Vivendi held for its programming partners last September at its Boulder, Colo. headquarters, during which both companies engaged in presentations outlining their visions for the Henson titles.

"We were overwhelmed by their enthusiasm, but also their sales and marketing and distribution plans seemed to be light years of the competition," Goldsmith said. "It proved to us that we had made the right decision."

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...bution-deal-fraggle-rock-dvds-exclusive-62186

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I don't know if I really want to re-buy the entire series of Fraggle Rock again, but if they release anything of interest that hasn't been covered by any of Henson's past distribution partners, I'll be all over it!

Drtooth

Reaction score
They better the heck get the series Dog City.

As long as they keep the Fraggle Rock DVD sets in print (I still only have the first season and it took me years to get it).

Slackbot

Reaction score
Although I have all of Fraggle Rock on DVD--both the latest box set and the first three stand-alones, which I bought for the nifty extras)--I'll buy this if it has some really nifty extras. I'm talkin' international Doc & Sprocket (oh, you know) and Traveling Matt segments, and bloopers. Real bloopers, not Disney-like staged outtakes. Bloopers which involve the puppeteers. 'Cause Fraggles are puppets, and that's not something to be ashamed of, despite what Disney seems to think.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'd definitely buy it if there were some cool extras. I'd like to see some more behind-the-scenes footage, and some international clips would definitely be cool. Maybe some new bits could be on there too, you never know.

Collgoff

Reaction score
This is great I gotta have it the Fraggle Rock one.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
this is AWESOME i would love to get the hoobs ( i use to always watch them:smile: ) i would also like to see them release mopatops shop because i always use to watch that when i was younger:smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, I only got Seasons 1 and 2 of FR when released by HIT, dunno if I should actively seek out the other two seasons, the full production 20-disc release by Lionsgate, or just wait to see what stuff comes from this new partnership.

Sure hope their version of Emmet Otter can be the intact version with Kermit, as well as The Christmas Toy.
With this and A Special Sesame Street Christmas, it's making things much easier for us video/DVD consumers than when we had to resort to only tape trading routes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sure hope their version of Emmet Otter can be the intact version with Kermit, as well as The Christmas Toy.
With this and A Special Sesame Street Christmas, it's making things much easier for us video/DVD consumers than when we had to resort to only tape trading routes.
I'm disappointed Lionsgate did only a fraction of what they could and just completely dropped the ball after the Henson's Place documentary release. They could very well have been a liaison between Disney and Henson, since they were releasing those really bad Disney (or rather ABC) produced sitcoms when Disney just gave up (According to Jim, for example). I think if anyone could have released Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy with Kermit, it was them.

Then I remember the crappy source tapes that they used to make the 1980's TMNT cartoon DVD's.

And I would gladly trade the Special Sesame Street Christmas's availability for Out to Lunch, but they're owned by 2 different companies. That's the ONLY reason SSSC is being released. SW doesn't own it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Does this mean we don't have to put up with Lionsgate anymore?