1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Waiting for Season 40

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by SSLFan, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Isn't It Amazing?

...When you think of everything that has happened on the street after all these years? So many events like Maria and Luis's wedding, and of course Mr. Hooper's passing. And off the street like that fateful Christmas season in 1996. :D It's just one heck of a blessing to see this show stand so strong after all these years, despite the MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY changes that had to be made to it.

And it's weird to note, but does anyone realize that Jim Henson only participated in HALF of Sesame Street's run? That's pretty impressive considering we've still been enjoying the same sketches 20 years later.

I just want to say, I LOVE SESAME STREET! xD
    Especially you Big Bird!:wisdom: Heh-heh
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Indeed. It's not the quantity, but the quality that matters. :) ;)
  3. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Can't see why that's so amazing since SS is more than just Henson and The Muppets.
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

But many sources agree that without Henson and the Muppets the show would not have gotten very far. And even though I don't agree with all of the changes made today, it's worth noting the popular parts of the show remain the Muppet characters.

Even though the show continued with Jim Henson, it wouldn't have existed in the first place without him nor continued without his influence in some way.
  5. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for that reply heralde.

Seriously, why isn't this guy banned from here? All he does is harass people.:smirk::grouchy:
  6. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Well if you would of expalined yourself better then maybe I would of understood.

Also I should add, I don't think I was all that critical this time.

We also need to honor Joan Cooney and her staff who were really the ones that got SS off the ground though I'm not undermining Henson's contributations to the long running series.
  7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, did you have to say anything?
  8. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Can we stop arguing and get back on the freakin' topic guys! :rolleyes:
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I have to agree since he made an excellent point... you mean, for a change?

Jim Henson is always falsely credited as creating Sesame Street, when it really was Joan Cooney that came up with the general notion. I think without the Muppets Sesame Street would have been successful... just not as. Certainly not a 40 year legacy. The Electric Company was successful and only ran for several years... ditto 3 2 1 Contact and Square one. It was the creative drive between everyone involved, even just in it's inception that made the show what it was. The Muppet Characters of Jim Henson... the song writing of people like Joe Raposo... the animations of various studios and independent animators (something I think is sadly missing from the show now)...

But deep down, I think that the show owes most of it's popularity and lovability to Jim's characters... it took a potentially successful educational/experimental show and turned it into an explosively popular pop culture phenom. And I also really think that it's the symbiotic relationship of everyone who was ever involved that made the show what it was... not just Jim... not just Joan... but Jeff Moss, Chris Cerf, Mo Willems, Sally Cruikshank, Bud Lucky.... everyone. This is the time to celebrate everyone and everything... except who's ever idea "Get up it's Time to Play" was.... boy was that a terrible idea...
  10. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I agree. I even have him on the ignore list and I still see him arguing with people. If I were the moderator, he would have been out long ago. No offense to the Count or the other mods, but I can't help but wonder about that.
  11. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Same here. I've wondered about that myself.

But, getting back to the Season 40 topic, I wonder if any of the Muppeteers will make cameos this season. It's happened before:

I remembered seeing Jerry Nelson on the street (years ago) and he was playing some kind of acting coach. It just rocked, man. He even read the letters and number of the day at the end on the stoop! How cool is that? Too bad I didn't tape it.

I know that kids won't know who the Muppeteers are, but since Sesame Street is "home" to Muppet fans of all ages, it's fun to see a Muppeteer on the street interacting with the Muppets and the human cast.

Fran Brill's cameos were fun to see recently. I wonder if we'll see some more Muppeteers on the street this upcoming season.

Convincing John
  12. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

In the SST news...

2 Interesting news articles. You're thoughts MC community?

From:http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sho...tour-big-bird-and-the-gang-turn-40-yikes.html

From: http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2009/08/01/sesame-street-gets-a-word-from-the-letter-o/

:insatiable:
  13. Drtooth

UGH! We're having a "special" episode of the regular season as the 40th anniversary special? Didn't they learn ANYTHING from "The Street We Live On?"

I like how he summed that up. Instead of being like a daring program of it's day, it became like everything else out there to compete with everything else out there. Blue's Clues is the DEVIL. It ruined kid's programming in a way not even Barney did.

Oh... and that's what the CGI Abby is from... Bleccch! Another one of those segments.
  14. Oscarfan

While that's all good news, Nov. 10 is a Tuesday. So, it's not starting on a Monday?
  15. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

No, I'm pretty sure it will still start Monday.

Lol, I know. It's a shame they won't make some big primetime speicial. At least, they're not announcing any plans of doing it.

I HATE to brag or anything(hehe), but I really did come up of a good idea for a 40th anniversary special some months back:

I know, for goodness sake, its the 40th season. They should be focusing on reminicing with classic clips rather than trying to cram in new stuff! (Wait...naw, that sounds just about right). Well that's CTW...oops, I mean SW, always experimenting with new stuff.
  16. Oscarfan

17. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

That's it...there's no easy way to say this, but Sesame Street has officially jumped the shark. Ladies and gents, SS is now officially the "Elmo & Abby Caddaby Show", with occasional appearances by Oscar, Cookie Monster, and Big Bird.

Now, I'm not judging this yet, since this segment might actually be GOOD. Besides, I like Abby. At the same time, this overexposure is going to kill the character. It's bad enough we have EW. Agh! I'm at a loss of words here. I mean, SS is just TOO structured now. Really, and this Abby thing has done it.
    And hopefully MHALL won't return or else we'd really be in trouble.

Gah! Well, we'll just have to wait and see. Also, the article says 41st season. So it will premire then or is that just a typo?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and a perfect title, 'Elmo Has A Rival'. Yep, with no disrespect to one of my longtime favorite shows, but with even openly announcing as Abby as there next big thing, I think the word "sellout" fits them perfectly. Please excuse my constant rant, but that's the way I see it. Oh, and what boy is going to claim Abby as their "favorite" muppet? Lol it would be funny if Abby became more popular than Elmo (or ANY muppet).
  18. Drtooth

9 minutes is BULL! Really. You've got a show that's less than 50 minutes made up of large, ultra-long segments... lemme break this down. 15 minutes for a story, 15 minutes of Elmo's World, 9 minutes of Abby.... there's barely BARELY 10 minutes or so left. Sesame Street is trying too hard and doing too much, and there's so many people I'd love to blame outside of SW. Nick Jr's crappy line up since 1998, PBS's low, low budget, Congress for PBS's low low budget, idiotic, inane contradicting reports about how 2 year olds watch TV....

The Structure... they were MOVING AWAY from that. They were. And now they get drug back into the whole thing, turning kids into future generations of Rainman... Oh no... definitely 10:40... definitely have to see Elmo... uh oh... uh oh... gotta see Elmo... Man. things were looking so good until some idiot "expert" made them shove these little things into the show.

And who wants to bet they only have like 5 of these segments which they'll repeat ad nauseum? I don't care if this show is for preschoolers. Even Preschoolers aren't that stupid. If SW doesn't learn to be itself, and not Nick Jr, the show will plunge further into the abyss than they were... Elmo and Abby's CGI crapstravaganza... I can't wait. And while we're at it, just higher some cheaper Canadian voice actors to make sound-a-likes. great way to save money...
  19. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

That's cool, SSL Fan. It would be nice to see that. Especially, the interview with Loretta Long. It would be nice to have her talk about what all she's doing now since she's only on one ep per season. BTW, did anyone see 'The View' today where they talked about Cookie Monster's eating habits? Just thought I'd bring that up.

Apparently not. This seems to be the new tradition every five years. Releasing a DVD and airing a regular episode of the show as an anniversary special. But, I didn't think that TSWLO was too bad, we'll have to wait and see what all they have in store for November.
  20. Drtooth

I'm guessing they would have done something better... if they had any money. I still say that if the recession didn't hit before Christmas of last year and people actually bought Elmo Live we would have had something much, much grander scale.

I think we should move the Abby rant somewhere else... a new thread. That's really angering and annoying. I understand the show always needs to change, that's why SS worked for so long... but now it's becoming another one of those kiddy shows. And by the way BLUES CLUES SUCKS! You don't have to copy them, SW... you're much, much better than that.