War Coverage: Gratuitous or Necessary?

radionate

Reaction score
Isn't it?!?!?!?!

Somebody made it special for me. :flirt:

radionate

Reaction score
I would say that. Only because I sent it back to add the camo outfit. That actually made it more then pure genius. That made it spectacular!

SuperGrover

Reaction score
After hearing similar sentiments from the mother of one of the first Marines to be killed in the line of duty in Iraq, Tom Brokaw respectfully took a postitive approach and signed off the air yesterday, promising only to deliver the necessary updates as they unfold.

(Sharp avatars, Jamie & Nate! Thanks to Frogboy for my new one too!)

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I've counted at least four or five channels IN A ROW on my hometown's cable network that are broadcasting war news, not counting the biggies like FOX News, CNN and MSNBC. The whole 24/7 broadcasting of the war, not to mention things like "Shock and Awe" (so tell me, just who is supposed to be in shock of the attack, and who is supposed to be awed about it?), have kept me away from the local channels and on channels like Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, TV Land and ABC Family (which thankfully isn't broadcasting anything about the war outside of 700 Club), or else watching movies or DVDs. I'm glad that down at school I've got more channels to watch, like Game Show Network and the Sci-Fi channel, not to mention a majority of my Muppet video library is down there.

Personally I'm glad that the Oscars are going on tomorrow night. It'll be at least ONE spot of normalcy in the media circus that I fear this war is going to become. It seems like that's all the news that matters now; even the WEATHER GUY on the news channel has to show what the weather in Bagdhad is like. If something REALLY spectacular happened here or elsewhere in the world, like someone finally discovering the cure for AIDS or an alien emmissary addressing the UN, it would get overlooked because it didn't happen in Iraq.

Although I should point out one thing about the media attention being focused on the war in Iraq: if it's focused there, it means that it's practically guarunteed that Elizabeth Smart and her family are getting the peace and privacy they need and deserve now.

-Kim

SuperGrover

Reaction score
For me, I appreciate that I'm able to choose and have control over what I watch in my own home. So far I have been watching the war coverage and will likely continue to do so, but it's nice to be able to turn the TV off or change the channel to something different when I've had enough. Being in Salt Lake City, we were just coming off non-stop Elizabeth Smart coverage around the clock. I don't know if that's how it was for everyone else.

As for the Academy Awards, war or no war, I think I'd rather watch the NCAA Men's basketball. :sleep:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think fans would be upset if athletes saying that they should cancel the playoffs because a war is on. I don't see a difference with the Oscars. However, I can understand how they can be boring. I still think some monkey directs the show. So much wasted time. Still, I hope the Oscars go on. It's always fun to watch and people need to have a little escapism in wartime.:concern:

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by SuperGrover
I think I'd rather watch the NCAA Men's basketball. :sleep:
I'd rather watch paint dry then watch a bunch of grown men run around with a little ball. :big_grin:

Bring on the Oscars!

SuperGrover

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
I'd rather watch paint dry then watch a bunch of grown men run around with a little ball. :big_grin:

Bring on the Oscars!
Hopefully then that won't be the theme for this year's Oscars! LOL :zany: