Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I got the Alphabet Songs DVD, and so far, a bunch of forgettable animation and film inserts. Hopefully there'll be a lot of treasures.

EDIT TO ADD: Well, it has the celebrity version of the Alphabet Song, though only the Ray Charles verse... And he actually sings the song twice. Was there an alternate version on the show with just Ray Charles? I'll have to watch again to see if they just played the same footage twice on a loop. Somehow I'm not surprised, if any of the celebrities refused (or asked for too much money) to allow their appearance on a DVD, they'd have to replace them with a different celebrity (I wonder if they recorded each one singing the alphabet, and if they still got the full footage) or leave out some letters.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I just got done watching it. I didn't list all of the sketches on the Muppet Wiki page yet, but most of what's not there is forgettable.

This video does have five classic clips, which begin to appear halfway into the video. And all of the classic clips have been included on previous releases (though two of them are on the out-of-print The Alphabet Game). Still, it's kinda cool to see a childrens-market video featuring a Lefty segment.

Interestingly, the description on the back of the box lists three celebrities who appear, but there's a lot more not mentioned. The description doesn't even say "and others".

A few segments that appear in this also appear in the bonus video Learning Letters with Elmo. They should have included Learning About Letters or Do the Alphabet instead, those don't have any segments repeated here.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Thanks for the report on the Alphabet Songs DVD. I've been behind in watching all my Sesame Street DVDs, but I still like to keep an eye on things and check them out when I can.:wisdom::smile:

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
Well, in July there's going to be a release called Learning Rocks. From the description, it sounds like another release of two full-hour episodes, but I'm not sure.

No bonus features were announced, but this would be a good release to include Rock & Roll! or Count It Higher as bonus videos. Or a selection of bonus rock and roll clips. I'd buy the release if it had every number from Little Jerry and the Monotones or Chrissy and the Alphabeats (we'll probably be lucky if it's just one clip of either group).

Yeah! I sure wish they would make a DVD collection dedicated to Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats and Little Jerry and the Monotones, and they would include every song both groups have done (original and uncut), appearances in classic SS episodes, and anything else that featured them. That would be a dream come true! :flirt:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That DVD would only be a few minutes long. Plus "8 Balls of Fur" I swear is on every Sesame Street DVD ever made. Okay, it's on like 2 or 3 or something.

I dunno about Best ofs. Seems whenever we get one it's the either the rare awesome kind, like Celebration of Grover or the lame celebrity heavy one that's not even the characters' best work like Best of Elmo 2.

It would be something, though, if they split the difference between the current DVD's that take street stories and compile them based on themes and classic footage and give us some older episodes with a common theme (edited so they're only the street stories) on a single disk. I mean, they did that for the second hurricane saga. It would be great to see a Slimey to the Moon series or something on DVD.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
That DVD would only be a few minutes long. Plus "8 Balls of Fur" I swear is on every Sesame Street DVD ever made. Okay, it's on like 2 or 3 or something.

I dunno about Best ofs. Seems whenever we get one it's the either the rare awesome kind, like Celebration of Grover or the lame celebrity heavy one that's not even the characters' best work like Best of Elmo 2.

It would be something, though, if they split the difference between the current DVD's that take street stories and compile them based on themes and classic footage and give us some older episodes with a common theme (edited so they're only the street stories) on a single disk. I mean, they did that for the second hurricane saga. It would be great to see a Slimey to the Moon series or something on DVD.

Yeah. About the song "8 Balls of Fur", it appeared on Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game, Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies, and What's the Name of That Song?; it was just to let you know. Besides, it was only just an idea I had. But I guess I was trying to say is that they would combine the two groups' songs and appearances on one set along with the other bands that came and gone, such as Polly Darton, How Now Brown and the Moo Wave, Bruce Stringbean, The Beetles, Don Music, etc. as almost like a set dedicated to the bands of Sesame Street titled "The Sesame Street Rockers Collection", but that's just something I imagined. Still, it would be a dream come true.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Don't forget about "Count it Higher". That song has already had 3 video releases- 5 if you want to count the Shalom Sesame and Sesame English releases. But yeah, it would be cool if Warner Bros. could come out with a release like that.

Regarding Best ofs, I feel like ones for Oscar and The Count are long overdue, but then again, you never know if they'd be done ala The Best of Elmo 2, or like the Best of videos before that. Plus, yeah it would be definitely awesome if they split the difference between the current DVD's that take street stories and compile them based on themes and classic footage and give us some older episodes with a common theme (edited so they're only the street stories) on a single disk.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
Yeah. About the song "8 Balls of Fur", it appeared on Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game, Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies, and What's the Name of That Song?; it was just to let you know. Besides, it was only just an idea I had. But I guess I was trying to say is that they would combine the two groups' songs and appearances on one set along with the other bands that came and gone, such as Polly Darton, How Now Brown and the Moo Wave, Bruce Stringbean, The Beetles, Don Music, etc. as almost like a set dedicated to the bands of Sesame Street titled "The Sesame Street Rockers Collection", but that's just something I imagined. Still, it would be a dream come true.

As for the appearances of Little Chrissy and Little Jerry's bands, I was referring to the episodes where they would visit the street, such as when Little Chrissy and Big Jeffy would ask for Elmo's help into taking Little Jerry's place when he was sick, when Little Jerry and the Monotones visited Sesame Street for Gina's fan club dedicated to them, when Elmo, Little Chrissy, and Big Jeffy helped Bob with the rendition of London Bridge, when Elmo and Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats were looking for a gig to play on the street, and when Big Bird, Elmo, Prairie Dawn and Snuffleupagus form Big Snuffie and the Alphatones after seeing Little Jerry and the Monotones perform. That's exactly what I was talking about. Anyway, I fully respect your opinion about "Best Of" sets, and feel free to agree/disagree about my idea. Everyone's opinions count.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
Don't forget about "Count it Higher". That song has already had 3 video releases- 5 if you want to count the Shalom Sesame and Sesame English releases. But yeah, it would be cool if Warner Bros. could come out with a release like that.

Regarding Best ofs, I feel like ones for Oscar and The Count are long overdue, but then again, you never know if they'd be done ala The Best of Elmo 2, or like the Best of videos before that. Plus, yeah it would be definitely awesome if they split the difference between the current DVD's that take street stories and compile them based on themes and classic footage and give us some older episodes with a common theme (edited so they're only the street stories) on a single disk.

Yes. Like I said, feel free to agree/disagree about my idea for a box set. Your opinion matters the most. Also, a set dedicated to Oscar, The Count, and even Bert and Ernie are LONG overdue.