Watchmen, 2009 Movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
What bothered me more about kids in The Dark Knight was not that their parents took them to see it (I've sadly gotten used to that outrageous idea by now) ... but that the kids didn't bat an eye (LOL ... "bat an eye"). Something seems off when your toddler isn't scared by sociopaths.
Or maybe kids actually know that it is fake. besides, what happens in reality is a great deal scarier than anything in film. But then again, I pretty much stood up, cheered and howled when Harvey Dent became Two-Face, so that's just me.

So seems like people like this film so far... a good sign, since Alan Moore's other comics didn't fare well at all on the big screen (League of Extraordinary gentlemen... all I have to say). In fact, he wanted his name off the picture completely. Again, with the way LEG came out, I wouldn't want my name on anything either.

Still, I'm waiting for someone to make a The Tick movie. That comic is just SCREAMING to get made.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I dunno. The live-action series didn't just sit well with me, unlike the cartoon. It is incredibly funny though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno. The live-action series didn't just sit well with me, unlike the cartoon. It is incredibly funny though.
Plans for a The Tick movie have been in creator Ben Edlund's mind for years... since the cartoon came out. Of course, so didn't a remake of Santa Conquers the Martians which apparently never got made (and you DON'T know how much I was looking forward to seeing that). of course, the movie plans were for it to be animated... I could see a live action movie working, provided they have a large enough budget, and they try to make it exactly like the comics.... the series came off a bit sitcom-y, and I really didn't like the bad Die Fledermaus and American Made clones that they had to make (since Saban owned any characters that appeared in the cartoon only... along with Sewer Urchin and most of the villains). Plus, that one they seem to have done on a budget, so all the potential big battle sequences had to be paved over for conversation, mostly with BatManuel and Liberty moaning about their relationship. It was funnier in the animated series when a bad relationship between Die Fledermaus and American Maid was hinted at.

Beauregard

Reaction score
So seems like people like this film so far... a good sign, since Alan Moore's other comics didn't fare well at all on the big screen (League of Extraordinary gentlemen... all I have to say). In fact, he wanted his name off the picture completely. Again, with the way LEG came out, I wouldn't want my name on anything either.
League of Ex-Gentlemen, the graphic novel, was a sophisticated and complex piece of amazing literature, compiling the lives of various heros into one. The movie was a comedic farse and not fit for viewing without a vomitarian or spitton nearby...

Beauregard

Reaction score
It's pronounced in a sort of French way, I suppose :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
"Spoon!"

(Okay, had to say that. Sorry for the muffining.) :stick_out_tongue:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
My favorite character was Horseshack.
"Hey yo! Mr. Kotter!"
Sorry, couldn't resist. :smile:

Okay, so LEG was silly and nothing like the comic. I'd be upset too if someone changed my original work that much. However, I enjoyed LEG; and IMO, Mr. Moore tends to be a bit of a jerk when it comes to this sort of thing. He's a brilliant writer, but he comes with a tall glass of bad attitude far too often.

Drtooth

Reaction score
"Spoon!"
Off topic, but there is something planned in the horizon for him if things work out... mainly just an Action figure by a third party, and I've only seen the prototype displayed at Toyfair. I really hoped the DVD releases of the cartoon would sprout new interest in the Tick, but sadly, they only released 2 volumes, and never went on to Season 3 (at least in the US). I say, if they can make a movie with a similar plot as the first few issues of the comics (don't know if they'd do the Paul the Samurai stuff, though) it would work out very nicely.