West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But the rest of the world? Not so much. :wink: Nothing wrong with liking movies that aren't well liked. Everyone has more than a few.
I actually have a list of my personal top 10 movies that I like that everybody else hates, and that's just one of them. In fact, that list goes something like this (in alphabetical order, mind you):

1. THE ADVENTURES OF ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE
2. BEE MOVIE
3. THE CAT IN THE HAT (Okay, it's not one of my favorites, but I don't hate it to the point other people do)
4. THE COUNTRY BEARS
5. ELF
6. KANGAROO JACK
7. KERMIT'S SWAMP YEARS
8. THE MASTER OF DISGUISE
9. MUPPETS FROM SPACE
10. SUPER MARIO BROS.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I actually have a list of my personal top 10 movies that I like that everybody else hates, and that's just one of them. In fact, that list goes something like this (in alphabetical order, mind you):
5. ELF
Actually, I think most people like ELF.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, ELF is one of those Love It Or Hate It movies, and there seems to be very little middle ground. A lot of people at MC actually hate it though.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I didn't know that, to me it seems like a movie lots of Muppet fans would love. It's very humorous but not too silly (it can be at times but the more normal characters balance it out), and it had a lot of heart but not so much that it became too sappy and it had a believable characters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That, and for once, Will Ferrell plays against type and actually plays a sympathetic character who manages to reach out to people in his own special way . . . and apparently, a lot of Will Ferrell fans hate it for that very reason . . . I guess some people out there actually like when he sticks to playing one-dimensional, unlikeable, static, jerk@$$, sketch show-esque characters.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score

2. BEE MOVIE
3. THE CAT IN THE HAT (Okay, it's not one of my favorites, but I don't hate it to the point other people do)
4. THE COUNTRY BEARS
5. ELF
6. KANGAROO JACK
7. KERMIT'S SWAMP YEARS
9. MUPPETS FROM SPACE
10. SUPER MARIO BROS.
I too liked Bee Movie. I saw it in theaters back when it was in them, and I enjoyed it. It was good because it felt more like "Seinfeld for kids" than "Dreamworks wants to do insects again". Also, the score was pretty good in the scenes inside the hive. Muppets from Space, I liked too, because it really wasn't all that bad, and considering Gonzo reminds me of an uncle I have at times, it was enjoyable.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Exactly, I think that's why BEE MOVIE flopped for many people, because I think you have to really understand/"get" Seinfeld humor to appreciate the movie, which some people just can't.

As for MFS, it seems to me the biggest contempt people hold with the movie is simply because Tim Hill directed the movie, and he seems to be the most universally hated director of MC. . . . never mind his contributions from the 90s like working on Rocko and Action League Now and such.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly, I think that's why BEE MOVIE flopped for many people, because I think you have to really understand/"get" Seinfeld humor to appreciate the movie, which some people just can't.
It was pretty much an animated Seinfeld stand up routine. Plus I did like the twist that the independent thinking protagonist was actually in the wrong and wound up screwing things up considerably. So at least it works on that level as well. While I did enjoy the film, I didn't remember I really liked it until I saw it again a few months ago. Not one of their best films, but certainly not nearly as bad as Shark Tale was.

Back to the subject.

So...yeah... There's a "Now you see me 2?"

Listen, in this era of film franchises based on properties I get those. Cinematic universes, comic book adaptions getting into other aspects... that sort of thing doesn't bug me. Comedy sequels? Eh, they rarely work but are mandated by the studios, which is why Hangover 2 and 22 Jump Street relentlessly mocked it. But Now You See Me 2? Was that one that successful? I forget. I only know it was more successful than Burt Wonderstone (which is a better movie than anyone gives it credit for, it probably flopped cuz Jim Carrey was in it, but it was the best thing he's been in for years). But sequel worthy?

D'Snowth

Reaction score

2. BEE MOVIE
4. THE COUNTRY BEARS
5. ELF
6. KANGAROO JACK
7. KERMIT'S SWAMP YEARS
9. MUPPETS FROM SPACE
10. SUPER MARIO BROS.
Actually, I forgot one from the list: HOME ALONE 3. I know it gets a lot of flack from people for not including the original cast (but really, Mac Culkin would have been too old to play Kevin by that point), but I think John Hughes made the wise decision to focus on a new cast of characters within a new scenario. Oh, and that's just it: at least John Hughes was actually still involved with the movie, unlike those two TV sequels that came years later that were made without his involvement - those really sucked.