What became of syndication?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But back to syndication...What shows would you like to see in syndication?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It does almost seem like the reason there are less cartoons on syndication is because they want kids to study more or go out and play.

I remember this classic Simpsons episode where the Itchy and Scratchy cartoons suddenly became nice and removed of all the violence and humor. Because the cartoons stopped being entertaining, all the kids decided to go out and play. There were kids everywhere riding their bikes, playing baseball, rolling hula hoops and painting fences.

But when Itchy and Scratchy started becoming funny again, kids went back to the TV sets and the parks and playgrounds became empty.

Technically, it's the combination of the afforementioned FCC nonsense, and the fact kids are playing games and using computers a lot more.

But back to topic:
What shows would you like to see in syndication?
I'd like to see at least ONE sitcom that hasn't come out in the last 5 years... and I'd like to see it air in the middle of the day... not the 5-8 hours. SOmething like that instead of those bonehead judge shows. I remember all the old sitcoms being somewhere on syndication... and co-existing with said sitcoms and Judge programs...

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think one thing that's wrong with television today is that we have too much choice and not enough choice at the same time. In the early day of television, there were only three channels, but I feel that TV from those days tried to appeal to a wider audience. Now we have hundreds of niche channels that try to suit any taste. I just feel like the major networks just quit trying to do anything new for daytime TV after a while. I hate those idiot judge shows and I personally know no one who watches them.

The sad thing is, channels that were created to show classic programs like TV Land and Boomerang have been working against their brand lately... and it's really sad.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Please, Boomerang is showing more classic shows than TV Land currently is.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
That's true, but they are also showing shows that have only recently gone off air. I'm not saying that I don't like Boomerang. I just feel as though they are going against their brand. It's fine to show a few newer shows, but I hope it doesn't escalate any more than a few shows.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
That's true, but they are also showing shows that have only recently gone off air. I'm not saying that I don't like Boomerang. I just feel as though they are going against their brand. It's fine to show a few newer shows, but I hope it doesn't escalate any more than a few shows.
The same applies to Nicktoons Network (airing Teenage Robot, Fairly Odd Parents, Jimmy Neutron, and older Spongebob episodes, instead of Rugrats, Doug, CatDog, Rocko, and even Invader ZIM).

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
The thing about Nicktoons is that the name implies original Nicktoons so there is room for the other new cartoons automatically. (Not that I wouldn't rather see the old, classic Nicktoons that I grew up with, but that's beside the point.)

Boomerang's name, on the other hand seems to me to invoke a relation to the baby boomers generation. I would expect to see more cartoons that people grew up with in the 50s and 60s first and foremost. Then, perhaps, a few cartoons from the 70s (and stretching it) the 80s. Realistically, I get that this may not be such a popular market to just show cartoons from such a narrow time period. Of course they would need to expand their programing some, though now I feel as though they are in the first stages of using Boomerang as a dumping ground for CN's more recent discontinued series. Mind you, it's not a big deal... yet. I just feel as though eventually it could get out of hand. Let me reiterate that I love seeing Justice League and Dexter's Lab. I'm just not quite sure if Boomerang is the place for that.

By naming logic, you could say that TV Land could be open to all things television... But it was not originally branded and marketed that way. It started as a network to show classic television and it worked towards that goal. Now, it often seems as though it is working against it. Going against a brand seems to be a good way to loose viewership if you ask me.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Boomerang as a dumping ground for CN's more recent discontinued series.
Well, it also airs Smurfs, Snorks, and the Hanna-Barbara backlog catalog.

But the US Boom was always like that. Unfortunately, the European version gets all the classics--including Fraggle Rock--because European countries don't have the red tape-covered copyright restrictions that the FCC imposes on our American stations (hence why EW is its own program in Europe, for instance).

TVLand is the opposite, because it was marketed towards showing the classic sitcoms, until recently. The same applies to Toon Disney, although the reason it stopped showing classic Disney is because it is being replaced fully by a Jetix-filled and recently-ended-Disney-shows (Suite Life, That's So Raven, etc.) station called Disney XD.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Maybe the question should not be what happened to syndication, but "How do we get it back?" :smile: