1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

What Disney is getting from Henson...

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by BoyRaisin2, Feb 24, 2004.

1. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

That's EXACTLY the way I feel (right down to the comment on the CEO) good analogy, Luke

2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

"Disney Presents Fraggle Rock Volume 1, featuring Jim Henson's Muppets"(1993)
    Anyone forget that Disney distributed Fraggle Rock in 1993, and explicitly called them "the Muppets" on the front/back of the box and before each episode? That was a tragedy that FR was not included and got left behind.

3. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Yeah, Disney should have held out for the Fraggles. FR would be ideal for Playhouse Disney.

More seriously, I would really love to know how those negotiations went. I mean in those six months of talks, how and when did Henson come to that final decision to sell their core franchise to Disney? We know WHY, how did it come to THAT? It's like Disney sellng Mickey Mouse and his pals, but keeping all the animated features.

Why can't Larry King or someone ever interview Brian Henson? I haven't even SEEN the guy in years.

4. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

Just curious, who now owns the "Christmas Toy?" Does Disney or does Henson still own it? The only reason I ask is because Kermit is at the beginning and the end of that special.

5. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

If Henson still owns that play, and Disney owns Kermit, I bet his part in the show gets cut out.

7. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

I doubt just because Disney owns the character that Henson has to erase Kermit's appearances at the beginning and the end of Christmas Toy and Emmet Otter.

I could be wrong, but that just seems unlikely. Sesame Workshop might as well cut Kermit appearances off Sesame Street when they rerun on Noggin.

8. Fozzie Bear

I'm thinking of video sales; not television broadcasts. You don't think if JHC were to sell videos of Christmas Toy and Emmett Otter again that they won't have to take Kermit out? Disney's tight, y'know.

What do you think? I think they'll have to. If not right now, soon.

9. jediX

jediX Active Member

All I can say about it is, at least we have what we have. We have seen what horrendous cuts have been made to MFC, just think of what will happen next... cutting Big Bird and Oscar from TMM and GMC!!!!!!! AAAAHHH!!!!!

Ok, so I went a little off the edge there. But really, I don't want to know what Disneys going to do with their edits. At least us fans, the ones who TRUELY care about Muppetage, have these things the way there were meant to be.

10. Cheebo

Cheebo New Member

But Sesame Workshop released video/dvd's with Kermit after the sale of the muppets like "What's The Name Of That Song?" DVD/Video out in april which had a few songs with Kermit.

11. pollick529

pollick529 New Member

I shouldn't think that Disney would cut off the Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch parts in TMM and GMC, because when they released these movies in 1993, the Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch were still kept in, and probably when Disney released their version Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, they probably kept in Kermit, too. Although they were released under the JHV banner, they still had their little "Distributed by Buena Vista Home Video" things on the bottom. I don't know, maybe they would have to cut 'em out. I just don't know!

12. Fozzie Bear

Don't forget, licensing and copyrights are a tricky thing, and those major companies want to protect their characters in whatever evil way they can!! AAAGGHHHH!!

I just thought of something! If they begin cutting other characters from movies, what's Disney gonna do with The Muppets Take Manahattan at the end?! Sesame Workshop's Muppets, and JHC's Fraggle Rock characters will be in Disney's TMTM at the end, the whole wedding sequence will have to be chopped up now?! AAAAAHHH!!

Okay, so it likely won't happen at all. Who knows. We'll wait and see, won't we.
    We have to.

I doubt it'll come to that.

13. Bean Bunny

Bean Bunny New Member

The Wedding Scene will be digitally remastered with Disney characters added to take place of the Sesame Streets characters. :crazy:

14. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Funny one there Bean Bunny, LOL.

15. Fuller House

Fuller House Active Member

That is true but I will miss seeing the muppets with the Sesame Street characters.

16. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

On the other hand, TMTM is owned by Sony.

17. Luke

Luke Active Member

Wasn't it just distributed by them? I didn't think Columbia actually owned any of the Muppet movies.

18. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

That's what I thought too Luke. At the most, I thought they partially owned MTM and MFS.

19. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Well I know Disney didn't get them from Henson. TMM and GMC yes, and Henson's "ownership" or stakes, you can say in the others, according to Mr. Spelich, but not complete ownership.

20. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

So Disney would own 100% of TMM, GMC, MCC, and MTI, but only a stake in MTM and MFS?