1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

What Disney is getting from Henson...

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by BoyRaisin2, Feb 24, 2004.

1. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

That's what I figure.

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

Not only that but Sesame Street's "The Street We Live On" anniversary special last April had two *very brief* clips of Kermit at the end, and Disney hasn't made any fuss over that, and they had already acquired the rights to him when that aired.

And as far as making edits to previous productions that contain characters they don't own the rights to, I doubt they'll do this. Think about it: the video release of "Muppet Family Christmas" is already butchered enough as it is. If they were to make more cuts so as to eliminate the Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock characters, no one would want to watch it because plot-wise the whole thing just wouldn't make any sense. There's just no way they could make such huge edits and still market it. What seems more likely to me is that they'll simply pay -- Sesame Workshop and / or the Henson company respectively -- the necessary royalties for the characters so they can release these productions without further edits.

3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Just think about the SS episdoes of TMS! That would be horrible to cut out the entire ending!!

Keep in mind, too, that even after the Disney/Spielberg fights, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is still on the market uncut, featuring Disney and Warner Bros. characters, and more, in the same film!

What's funny is I was joking earlier about cutting up movies, and the conversation is still going on about it! LOL!! Still, it's a spooky thing!

4. Fozzie Bear

I wrote to JHC and asked about what we call the characters. Obviously, there aren't any particular names outside of what they are, but they aren't called "Muppets" anymore. :(

Fraggle Rock Characters are just that. "Fraggles," "Gorgs," and "Doozers."
    Sesame Street characters are called "Sesame Street Characters."

"You can call me whatever you want, just don't call me late for dinner--or call me a Muppet!"
    ------------------------------------------
    From Kevin:
    From JHC:

5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Im sorry, but %#$@ this Bull. I WILL AND WILL ALWAYS CALL Fraggles and Sesame Street characters Muppets...*NOTHING* will ever change that to all the fans. Freaking EM.TV idiots back in 2000, and JHC selling out a legacy.

We will always have Muppet Family Christmas which shows all the franchises in harmony. It is the Fraggle Rock muppets, and the Sesame Street muppets, always. Disney can own the so called brand name, but they cant own history or what is. Just because JHC sold out doesnt mean the legacy is gone.

6. Fozzie Bear

I forgot to post this email from today:

Isn't that HORRIBLE??

Did you wet yourself? Just kidding, Cory, I made that up! :) THAT would be a day lived in infamy, and I would wet myself...among other things.

7. ZootandDingo

ZootandDingo Member

All this makes me wonder something. I am going completely on memory here, but didn't the opening titles to "Fraggle Rock" say something along the lines of "Starring Jim Henson's Muppets?" If so, would they now have to change the opening?

:cool:

8. Fozzie Bear

I doubt they'll have to change anything.

9. Drum Eater

Drum Eater New Member

The whole idea of Disney owning the Muppets really scares me, especially with Disney's latest movies. Pirates of the Carribean is their only good movie in years! Remind me if I'm wrong... :eek:

10. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

Um... "Lilo & Stitch."

11. What about the overrated TV series?

12. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

Well... I haven't seen too much of it. I was referring to the original movie.

13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

On the DVDs released by Hit, the logo is changed. It no longer says "Fraggle rock starring jim Hensons Muppets". It now says "Jim Hensons Fraggle Rock", and the logo looks different. On the Dance Your Cares Away DVD, in the bonus episode, the original logo is shown, but in the "Live by the Rule of the Rock" DVD, the bonus episode has the newer episode.

Does anybody else think it is weird that disney got the rights to "Mr. Willobys Christmas Tree" but not "The Cristmas Toy" or "Emmit Otters Jug-Band Christmas"? Kermits screen time in mr. willobys christmas tree is not very differnt from his screen time in the other specials.

14. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Yes, minor muppetz, that's exactly what all the confusion on your thread is all about. :D
    Maybe someone will be able to shed light on my mix-up. :o

15. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

How are the characters credited on Sesame Street now? Are they still credited as Jim Henson's Sesame Street Muppets? Jim Henson's name is still listed in the credits as a Muppeteer because of old footage.

16. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

So you guys think Disney will ever buy "MTM" and "MFS" from Sony?

17. Marky

Marky Member

Probably not in the near future. Sony just released that tri-pack with those two (+KSY) in it. The MHC logo is on the box, and it says 2005 mhc on the bottom in teeny weeny writing. That's probably enough profit shRing that those films are worth. To Disney, that is.