What Disney is getting from Henson...

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I know a lot of people have strong feelings about Disney, but you have to give the deal a chance I think. They're not stupid (with the possible exception of their CEO :stick_out_tongue:). They didn't just spend $60 milllion dollars so they could ruin something. We may not like everything they'll do with the Muppets but I don't think they are out to ruin them. Quite the opposite actually.
That's EXACTLY the way I feel (right down to the comment on the CEO) good analogy, Luke

beaker

Reaction score
"Disney Presents Fraggle Rock Volume 1, featuring Jim Henson's Muppets"(1993)
Anyone forget that Disney distributed Fraggle Rock in 1993, and explicitly called them "the Muppets" on the front/back of the box and before each episode? That was a tragedy that FR was not included and got left behind.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Yeah, Disney should have held out for the Fraggles. FR would be ideal for Playhouse Disney.

More seriously, I would really love to know how those negotiations went. I mean in those six months of talks, how and when did Henson come to that final decision to sell their core franchise to Disney? We know WHY, how did it come to THAT? It's like Disney sellng Mickey Mouse and his pals, but keeping all the animated features.

Why can't Larry King or someone ever interview Brian Henson? I haven't even SEEN the guy in years.

McFraggle

Reaction score
Just curious, who now owns the "Christmas Toy?" Does Disney or does Henson still own it? The only reason I ask is because Kermit is at the beginning and the end of that special.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
If Henson still owns that play, and Disney owns Kermit, I bet his part in the show gets cut out.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I doubt just because Disney owns the character that Henson has to erase Kermit's appearances at the beginning and the end of Christmas Toy and Emmet Otter.

I could be wrong, but that just seems unlikely. Sesame Workshop might as well cut Kermit appearances off Sesame Street when they rerun on Noggin.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm thinking of video sales; not television broadcasts. You don't think if JHC were to sell videos of Christmas Toy and Emmett Otter again that they won't have to take Kermit out? Disney's tight, y'know.

What do you think? I think they'll have to. If not right now, soon.

jediX

Reaction score
All I can say about it is, at least we have what we have. We have seen what horrendous cuts have been made to MFC, just think of what will happen next... cutting Big Bird and Oscar from TMM and GMC!!!!!!! AAAAHHH!!!!!

Ok, so I went a little off the edge there. But really, I don't want to know what Disneys going to do with their edits. At least us fans, the ones who TRUELY care about Muppetage, have these things the way there were meant to be.

Cheebo

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I'm thinking of video sales; not television broadcasts. You don't think if JHC were to sell videos of Christmas Toy and Emmett Otter again that they won't have to take Kermit out? Disney's tight, y'know.

What do you think? I think they'll have to. If not right now, soon.
But Sesame Workshop released video/dvd's with Kermit after the sale of the muppets like "What's The Name Of That Song?" DVD/Video out in april which had a few songs with Kermit.