What do you miss about "new" Sesame Street?

Hays

Reaction score
There used to be some great animated shorts that aren't appearing in "Journey to Ernie" (which seems to be the repository for the shorts)

I remember one about a "rolling O," and "One, two, three, one, two, three, one, two, three, tee hee hee hee!" Of course, I was three, so my memory is fuzzy being more than ten times older.

I also miss the brilliant puppetry done with iron filings and magnets. I forget who did those, but they were incredible. Didn't know it was a puppet until recently.

Most of all, I miss Joe Raposo's music. The songs now just aren't the same.

John Steffens

Reaction score
Wasn't there some short skit with cartoon bodies on kitchen appliances, the main character being a cartoon kid on a plastic cup?
those were pretty cool

Hays

Reaction score
Another thing - Grover singing "Being Afraid" (or "Whistle A Happy Tune," or whatever it's called) from The King and I. I guess the Muppets lost the rights when that got remounted on Broadway (didn't it?) I was a real chicken as a child, and used to hum that to myself before I could actually whistle - it worked.

dwmckim

Reaction score
The thing i don't like about the new format is since they have The Count and Cookie Monster introducing the number and letter of the day, they don't show any other classic sketches with these two characters.

...and i'll fess up as being one of the Don Music imitators when i was a kid - and i turned out fine (okay okay maybe not the best example but since someone asked...)

...course i also drove my parents crazy with my toy piano because i would bang a bunch of keys at once and they would try to tell me "no no - to play a song you should try hitting one note at a time" but i would be all "but that's how Little Chrissy plays the piano!"

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Hays - I miss Joe Raposo's music as well as Jeff Moss. I loved how they created very intelligent songs (both structurally and lyrically) for children. I actually played a few of the early songs as a part of set I did for a local coffee shop the other day. I actually think quite a few of those early songs, and not just the hits, are quite timeless and partly because they're so sophisticated and not dumbed down for kids.

John Steffens - I think you're remembering the Teeny Little Super Guy who "pops right up before your eyes he's no bigger than your thumb...don't look in the sky, don't look in the sea, he's a part of you and me...you can't judge a hero by his size...” Those segments were quite fun.

Everyone - I really just miss the sense of closeness kinship that the creative community shared. I think that was apparent in the legacy that they left behind. You can tell that they shared a common vision, common humour and common ideologies regarding children's education and entertainment. I think there is an energy and vitality to the 70's street that is not quite the same today. That's not to say I don't like the new street because I think they're doing wonderful things in the new format. I tend to think that because Sesame Street has become such a _huge_ operation that the creative staff doesn't necessarily share the kindred relationships that the early pioneers had as a result of the smallness of the team. There is a vibrancy that flows from the performances, sketches, songs from the that I don't 70's and early 80's that just isn't quite there anymore.

I still love the way I feel when I watch the 70's street. I feel like a kid sitting on the sofa while eating the Mac and Cheese that my mom made for me.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Miss about 'new' SS

Where do I begin.I miss:
-Joe Raposo songs
-Songs(old cartoon,or not) letters & numbers
-old skits like:There's a hole in the bucket,dear Liza,dear Liza
-the Amazing Mumford
-Sherlock Hemlock
-Twiddlebugs
-Don Music messing up songs at his piano
-Songs like Telephone Rock
-Old Bert & Ernie clips
-old characters(a member just reminded me of one yesterday,Sam the Machine)
-the fix-it shop
-SuperGrover's old skits
-Grover & the blueman(customer)
-I miss Mr. Hooper & David
-I miss the old tire swing

DancingLauren

Reaction score
I hate the new sesame street.

But the things I miss about classic Sesame?:

1)Classic Bert and Ernie: The "Imagine That" song and the one where he dances to sleep with the sheep.

2) Teeny Little Super Guy.. remember him? Sniff.

3) The girl who used to take her llama to the vet.

4) The sketch where Harry ate a cracker and they showed it going through him (i dont know why... i just liked that)

5) MR HOOPER. :frown:

6) All of those classic crazy number counting sketches. Man, they need to relsease some 70s and 80s episodes on DVD.

:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Censored

Reaction score
What Do You Miss The Most About "New" Sesame Street?

More than anything, I miss Sesame Street.

DancingLauren

Reaction score
John Steffens said:
Wasn't there some short skit with cartoon bodies on kitchen appliances, the main character being a cartoon kid on a plastic cup?
those were pretty cool
YEAH! That was "teeny little super guy"! My favorite one was when his nephew or whatever went to school. Teeny litltle super guy lived in the kitchen cabinet. :smile:

pizzagirl

Reaction score
More than anything, I miss Sesame Street.
Word. Because they seem to hardly be on the street. If the format of the new show was as appealing to adults as the early version was, I would be all about watching it over 'Passions' any day.

But since I can't see my Sherlock Hemlock (wasn't he in that version of Oklahoma with all the vowels?), the sinister Count, non-whiney Grover, the Fix-It Shop, Little Bird, Gordon's sister, Linda and all the stuff from the heyday, I have no patience for the show.

They say kids have a short attention span, and as someone pointed out, we watched the old format and are doing just fine, but I think I have a shorter attetion span for the 'new' Sesame Street. A minute or two of 'Elmo's World' and my finger is on the channel changer.