What Miss Piggy should MR design?

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Hey, Thank you, MupetCaper, for fowarding my question to Terry. I can't wait to hear what he has to say on the whole Piggy issue.

He just emailed me and I asked him the big question. He said this:

As for which era of Miss Piggy I am afraid that It's hard to answer that question right yet and it's really hard to explain why yet. It's a story that will have to wait. Hey, I don't even know if they are going to green light it.

He still hasn't heard anything from Travis yet. So I guess we will know when the time comes.

At least it gave him some time to rest after all the work he did on three Fozzies and writing a bible to China on making him.

Rowlfharris

Reaction score
Thanks for getting this Piggy update, Muppetcaper.

I can't begin to imagine how they're going to solve the substitute material for Piggy's foam head. They've had all those problems just with Gonzo's nose and Animals mouth & tongue. Animal was a compromise, and we don't even know yet how they have dealt with Gonzo....

I'm guessing the delay would be in deciding whether its at all feasible to proceed with Piggy considering that she represents the foam dilemma ten-fold, and to get it wrong would put the whole project in jeopardy.

I really want to see Piggy more the any other character, but I am worried about how Gonzo may turn out to have been 'solved'.

For my 2 cents, if building these replicas from real foam is not an option for longevity, my view is that flocked hollow vinyl (‘vinyl’ means similar to the 70's Child Guidance Sesame puppets; the thick soft plastic that dolls heads are made of: www.webruler.com/artellephant/MikeysMuppetMuseumSesame.html ) is about the only way they can accurately reproduce the 'foam head look' in a reproducible, poseable, long-lasting, shape-holding, material.

Sure they wouldn’t be the same materials as the original props, but could be very accurately sculpted for molding and shaped to look exactly like the real thing for posing or photography. Wire armatures can be installed inside the vinyl head for posing the mouth, and eyes etc. don't need to be 'molded in' like the toys were, but done properly by MR.

After all, that's what we want in the end, something that looks exactly like the real prop and can be posed.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Covering her in the same material that MR's Animal's arms and body are covered with wouldn't be far wrong. In the right colour of course. I don't know if adding tonal colouring would be a problem in that case tho as she has different shades on different parts of her face.

muppetguy

Reaction score
Ok....Now I'm starting to panic...

I am very happy Terry has gotten back to us, but am terrified of his answer. I have been waiting patiently for a Piggy Poser since Kermit was announced. They HAVE to green light her. You don't have the muppet gang without her. Oh, I hope that there's just a delay in Travis' response to Terry, for whatever reason. And what Terry said:

"As for which era of Miss Piggy I am afraid that It's hard to answer that question right yet and it's really hard to explain why yet."

I wonder why it's hard? I just need her and will be very dissapointed if she is not green lit. My muppets will never be complete without her. I will never get to own my FAVORITE muppet character....very dissapointing...and sad. :frown:

Chad Kermit

Reaction score
I agree with those who feel MP was at her best late in the MS and at her super best in GMC. She was a model in that film afterall and looked the part like no other pig before her ever had. They must also keep the pearls, ring, gloves. And what about those great shoes they made for her in all the photshoots. They were Miss Piggy meets Dolly Parton type high heals. One of her best outfits ever was the swimsuit from GMC. The cape and everything worked in well with her salute to MGM and Ester Williams. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they get to Piggy. If they get to her and Ralph, I couldn't imagin a more perfect Muppet Product line.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Miss Piggy Curse

I hope i'm wrong on this but, everyone seems to screw up piggy these days. Even the real one used by Disney these days is so way off. Such a shame they ruined her.

Palisades versions were wrong; pigs in space being the best. It seems everyone has tried to modernize her and lost all of the original nuance.

I agree with whoever said they need to strike a comfortable balance between the vintage and the modern - that being the Great Muppet Caper look. Is Disney the problem? :mad:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I hope i'm wrong on this but, everyone seems to screw up piggy these days. Even the real one used by Disney these days is so way off. Such a shame they ruined her.

Palisades versions were wrong; pigs in space being the best. It seems everyone has tried to modernize her and lost all of the original nuance.

I agree with whoever said they need to strike a comfortable balance between the vintage and the modern - that being the Great Muppet Caper look. Is Disney the problem? :mad:
If the Kermit and Animal replicas are anything to go by the Piggy one won't quite fit into any era but will still look right somehow.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If the Kermit and Animal replicas are anything to go by the Piggy one won't quite fit into any era but will still look right somehow.
Well said. :wink:

I'm just glad Miss Piggy is moving away from the Barbie style (actually a deliberate selection from the Jim Henson Company in the mid 90s-early 2000s) and moving back to her more glam-zafdig self. :mad:

In reading an old Roger Ebert review about "The Great Muppet Caper" that he gave a "thumbs down" (he did like "The Muppet Movie"), he accused the pig of having too much of a makeover and appeared too thin! I disagree. People always tend to think the pig is supposed plumper than she actually is. However, she should never look like some of the old clip art Henson released several years ago.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Will Piggy be Hot or Not?

Frogboy - I don't understand. You do like the new Piggy? Say it ain't so. I hope you guys are right and she fits somewhere comfortably within the era's & looks.

The current pig is awful - ask anyone. Even little kids have told me, "That doesn't look like the real Piggy!" They are from another generation.

What NOT to do:

What TO DO:

Keeermit got it so right!