What Muppets scared you as a child?

anniesue

Reaction score
Originally posted by Randall Flagg
There was a scary guy on Sesame Street who used to sit in front of a fireplace, cloaked in the shadows, and singing the alphabet song. (It was NOT The Count... everyone assumes that's who I mean.) Speaking of which, DOES anybody else remember this segment? It was back in the 70s.
I remember this guy! It freaked me out too. There was definitely something sinister about him. Kinda reminds me of Hannibal Lecter now.

Had me off the alphabet for some time. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Randall Flagg

Reaction score
I had completely forgotten about the Kenny Rogers episode with those ghosts... yeah, that was pretty creepy for Muppet Show standards! I wasn't scared by it (probably because I was already 6 or 7 by the time), but it definitely caught my attention!

Joggy

Reaction score
Re: Interesting story...I hope

Originally posted by Koozbanian Foob
There was a segment on Seseme Street where either Ernie or Grover sniffed a pretty little flower, but when he tried to pick the flower, it turned out to be attached to the head of a huge and bizarre looking monster. That scared the freezbits out of me (it's a Koozbanian thing).

I later read in a book, that that sequence was eventually pulled because it scared the pants off every kid. The design of the monster's head made it look scary, but on camera it's proportions were even more menacing.
I have that clip in Spanish. It's from 1969. Ernie tries to find the Biggest Rock, and when he finds it it turns out to be a bump on the head of this monster. It was indeed quite eerie. It was the same monster that appeared in the "In The Box" scene with Kermit and Green Grover.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Randall Flagg
There was a scary guy on Sesame Street who used to sit in front of a fireplace, cloaked in the shadows, and singing the alphabet song. (It was NOT The Count... everyone assumes that's who I mean.) Speaking of which, DOES anybody else remember this segment? It was back in the 70s.
It was in the '80s too.

And wonder no more, for I know who he is!

Really!

I do!

His name is "Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice", and he didn't actually sing that Alphabet song, it was an unseen male chorus. :smile:

He was the host of "Mysterious Theatre" but I can't remember details of those---maybe they were Sherlock Holmes bits, I think? I think that's what they were, come to think of it...anyway, I remember the Muppet---he's dark yellow with I think gray hair, a moustache, real conservative and distingushed-lookin'. He quietly sat by the fire, while the male chorus sang the Alphabet song (by the by, this isn't the normal "Alphabet Song" that everybody knows---it was a different version), and I think he may have had a pipe. And when the males voices sang the song, the camera slowly panned around the room to where he was sittin' in his chair. And I think there was a dog lyin' on the floor?

I just did a search on Google, and he's listed in several SS character lists as: "Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice --- Armchair Announcer". lol

The only other thing I've found so far was this bit from some non-SS site:

"Hilary Rodham Clinton appeared on its 25th anniversary program.
Portions of the show include "Mysterious Theater" hosted by Vincent Twice and Alistair Cookie's "Monsterpiece Theater." "

Hope that helps some! :zany:

And personally, I loved "Mysterious Theatre"! The den was all low-lighting, fancy furniture and classic books on shelves, and the lethargic host and his dog by the cracklin' fire, all accompanied by a zesty classical male chorus singin' an arranged Alphabet piece to set the mood just right...

:big_grin:

Randall Flagg

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for all the info. Somebody else just told me the character was called Lord Chatterly. Was that a different character?

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
i was terrified of oscar the grouch as a child... i just thought you should all know.

Manda:-D

Reaction score
AAAAAH!! SCARY DIGIT ON THE MC MENU!!!! :eek:
....No, just kidding! I no longer find Digit frightening!
....And I'm not scared of Fieries either, actually now I find them funny! But the purple lady, (you know, the junkyard lady in Labyrinth and DC), still kinda gives me the shivers.....And that David Bowie....(*shudders*) Course, he's not a Muppet, so I don't suppose that counts!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
that spider in the muppet christmas carol that is named old joe? i think, scared me....spiders are kind of scary..

ryan

WiGgY

Reaction score
When I was younger and the Muppet show was on Nick Jr. I would be freaked by the Electric Mayhem. And I HATED Gonzo, but loved the muppet baby Gonzo. Now I think Gonzo rules! :concern: