What Muppets scared you as a child?

Pino

Reaction score
Not scared from muppets, but when I saw the dark Chrystal I thought Skeksis where the same animals as Gonzo!:embarrassed:
:concern:

Ace_Yu

Reaction score
When the white lion on JHH talked for the first time...holy crap...I thought I'd never sleep again. He had that real deep voice. I was about seven at the time. Now when I watch the episode on tape and that part comes up, I stop whatever I'm doing and stare like a zombie. It wasn't the actual Storyteller show that he was featured in that scared me, it was before the Muppet portion of JHH started and Jim asks him if he's ever going to talk on the show and he goes "I doubt it." Then after the Storyteller segment, Jim asks why he never talks and he goes "I have nothing further to say." Ugh...creepy. I loved that lion too. I always wanted it as a pet...as long as it doesn't talk in that scary manner...

behemoth

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the big monster with the flower/rock on his head that everyone is talking about? I would like to see if I remember it. Also now that I stop and think about seseme street, I'm remembering lots of scary things. One thing that comes to mind is spaceship surprise. I don't even remember what it was about but I do remember that it was scary.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Big Bird scared the bejeebers out of me when I was a kid. Oscar wasn't quite that scary, but I remember a anxiety dream from back then in which Bert comes through my hallway. That also scared the bejeebers out of me.:frown:

Squigiman

Reaction score
Beyond just SCARED by Sesame Street

Hey everybody,
The title of thris thread really grabbed my attention. I've read all the posts thus far, and do remember the Mysterious Theatre guy and the alphabet chorus being somewhat creepy, as well as that crazy-wide look on the face on Piggy in the attacking scene. Some of the other stuff sounds genuinely creepy, too, though I can't remember seeing most of them.
However, I have a story which goes a little further than just being scared or creeped out by a Muppet character. It all started when I was about 4 years old. Watching Sesame Street, a paricular skit came on, which would be life-changing for me. I've heard of others being scared by it, too, often being considered the scariest Sesame Street skit, ever. For this reason, I believe that many of you may already be aware of it.
The skit was one featuring Ernie and Bert. They had ventured to an ancient Egyptian pyramid. Ah, rings a bell, eh? Well, perhaps not. Still, they go and notice two statues designed to look like Egyptian versions of themselves. Bert ventures off into a "spooky dark tunnel", leaving the slightly frightened Ernie behind, with the statues. While examining the Bert Statue, Ernie feels three taps on his hat. Not seeing Bert around, he's confused by who delivered them. The Ernie Statue once again taps him, sending him running and screaming for Bert, who then assures him it was his imagination. Bert then goes back, leaving Ernie to wonder what happened, and question out-loud of who the perpetrator of the taps was. The Ernie Statue then responds, confessing. Ernie once again calls on Bert, who responds like before, suggesting Ernie sing, as well. Ernie does so, to the tune of his beloved "Rubber Duckie" song. The statue joins in and dances with Ernie, as well. Ernie is now happy, having made a friend. Bert returns to hear of this, but just laughs it off and encourage Ernie to come home with him. Ernie bids his new friend farewell, and Bert does too, as a joke. He is shocked however, as he gets the response, "BYE BYE!", followed by a typical Ernie laugh, The statue then repositions itself in its frozen state as the camera zooms into its scary face, while creepy Egyptian music plays.
Well, I gotta go, but more on that, later...

-Squigiman

Squigiman

Reaction score
PART 2!

Hey,
Well, I'm back, so I thought I'd finish up. Anyways, this skit terrified me. I don't recall if I felt it immediately, but soon enough, I had a terrible, all-too-real nightmare, which I still sometimes question the reality of. Ever since then, the skit's impact was tremendous. For over fourteen years, I sufferred recurring nightmares featuring that oh-so-scary Ernie Statue. I also continually had creeped-out, paranoid feelings regarding him, constantly checking over my shoulder or under the bed or couch, out of fear that he might be lurking anywhere nearby. Being alone, especially in silence, and even moreso at night or otherwise in the dark, was absolutely terrifying. Once I got my own room in my house, with a TV, I began resorting to watching it while falling asleep, to keep myself feeling secure. This is all true, and my brother even made a documentary about it for school, which actually became incredibly helpful to my moving on in life. Since then, I've worked out a lot of this problem. I even went back to those darker times for a video assignment of my own, re-enacting some of my fear and panic. I just thought my story might be fascinating to anyone reading this thread. Anyways, in case anyone wants to talk to me about it, or perhaps learn more, feel free to e-mail me at Squigiman@aol.com. Thanks a lot. Take care.

-Squigiman

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Squig,

Thanks for sharing. It's hard to say these things sometimes, when people usually just laugh to hear a person say that a cartoon or puppet show frightened them. But when people get older, they can forget how powerful those images can be. While Jim and co. certainly never meant to scare anyone, it's important that kids' broadcasters keep these kinds of things in mind. (I know the Eygptian bit of which you speak, but fortunately saw it when I was a little older. The Kenny Rogers stuff, though...brr.) Of course, that doesn't mean that kids' entertainment should be devoid of suspense or drama. In fact, quite the opposite. But now I've hit on something too large to be discussed in this one post. If anyone's really interested to hear the rest, ask me again sometime. :smirk:

Squigiman

Reaction score
Chilly Down,
You're totally right about one thing. People do find it hard to take seriously, quite often. When my brother first screened the very personal documentary, the audience was often filled with laughter, taking it for more of a mock-umentary than based-in-reality. I could see why they'd think so, but it did hurt. Same goes for my recent video, though much less laughter, but still, I don't think my class fully appreciated it, not realizing the true-life basis for the storyline. Thanks for the comments. Take care.

-Squigiman

Trogdor

Reaction score
That Sesame Street segment scared me too...though not as much; I didn't see it till I was older. I never realized a children's show could have that much impact.

Unfortunately, all the episodes of TMS and FR I haven't seen since I was younger, on videos and re-run TV. But I think that some of those episodes scarred me for life. Most of all is "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." I can't listen to that song without getting scared now...I don't even think it was that scary.

Another is the Liza Minelli TMS episode, when everyone got killed. Again, it prolly isn't as scary as I remember because I was little.

And when Kermit eats that worm that turns out to be a monster and it eats him...holy crap! That was scary!

Also there was an segment when someone turned into something else...I don't think it was the Coconut Lime skit, it was something else.

Certain "Monterpiece Theater" skits scared me too...like the one with the stairs, I think.

Fraggle Rock used to scare me too...something with plants that moved around, I think.

Of course, Labyrinth was one of the scariest movies I ever saw as a kid. Especially when she's in that pit with all the hands that make faces...I've never seen the movie since.

I constantly had Muppet Nightmares, especially with Elmo and Harry Monster. Recently, I just had a nightmare with the Fraggles. That was scary as ****. I had another in which all the full-body Muppets that were scary looking gathered around my little brother. Then I turned into one...scary stuff.

I almost forgot about the Dinosaurs episode when the baby goes crazy. Probably the scariest thing I've ever seen on TV.

Finally, I would like to add that the purple-haired guy from Eureka's Castle scared me more than anything, as well as the Halloween episode. In fact, once I saw the big green and blue monster, I never watched the rest. It scared me so much that I cried. I had horrible nightmares about both these characters. And yes, I DO know that this is not Jim Henson's work. I just needed to talk about it.

:eek: Wow...I never realized how scary puppets could be.

BlueAM

Reaction score
Trogdor said:
Certain "Monterpiece Theater" skits scared me too...like the one with the stairs, I think.
I do believe you are trying to refer to "The 39 Stairs" ("Made by guy named Alfred."), the one shot in B&W wher Grover climed up ALLLLL those stairs. Naturally, I LOVED that skit as a kid!

To tell you what scared ME, I have to start out with TMS:

"All of Me" (Paul Williams episode), with the monster giving his parts to Miss Kitty. I was scared that the puppeteer would come into shot and take the puppet off!

ANY part of the Vincent Price episode (shudders).

Probably the part of the Tony Randall episode when Tony and Scooter were trying to find a way to turn Piggy back to normal and Tony says different spells and weird stuff happens to Scooter.

That's all I can think of in the case of TMS at the moment.

SS:

"Cookie Disco"

Placido Flamingo

The Martians (yiiiip-yip-yip-yip)

Frazzle

"The Word is No"

The Newsflash with Humpty Dumpty

The Count Counts Flowers

In addition, I have a story to tell you. When I went to see "Aladdin", they had a preview for MCC. I was FREAKED OUT by the doorknocker scene they showed that time.

BlueAM