What Muppets scared you as a child?

P

Philo and Gunge

Trogdor said:
I almost forgot about the Dinosaurs episode when the baby goes crazy. Probably the scariest thing I've ever seen on TV.
You think you were just scared then? ALL of "Dinosaurs" scared the crap out of me, mainly in intro. I have been scared of them for a while, I was even to nervous to look in "The Works"! Thanks Dr. Tooth's old attar, MC Collectibles and Earl and Baby poping up on the MC menu are helping me get over my fear, I still can't listen to Big Songs, though.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Telly monster scares me. No, I am only kidding!!!

I don't think any of the Muppet's have scared me, though I think that maybe the Stadler door knocker did once, can't remeber...

BlueAM

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot. "I'm an Aardvark and I'm Proud" freaked me out, too.

What else scared you guys?

BlueAM

dbarrie

Reaction score
This week I revisited a Muppet character that made me nervous as a kid. She appeared on one ep. of TMS, an elderly wrestler named Granny the Gouger. Everything about her scared me! I only felt better when Miss Piggy came along and KO'd her for injuring Kermit in the wrestling match.

There was one Muppet on SS that frightened me. Do any of you remember the big yellow bird that appeared on a Ernie & Bert skit? He was more like a yellow demon than a bird! Was he supposed to be Big Bird's evil relative? All I remember is Ernie bringing home this creature and showing him off to Bert. This bird was silent for most of the skit, except at the very end -- and it made me scream and cry! It freaked me out so much I had to shut the TV off! :eek:

jediX

Reaction score
The "Welcome to My Nightmare" performace scared me, especially when Alice conjured up the spirit thing. I hated that song when I was little but love it now.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Muppet Pro said:
Really, HECK !, Me too. :boo: I didn't Face That Scene Again til I was 14 Or younger. About Last Year.

I've Seen That In The MOVIE Teature. I REALLY Jumped Out Of My Seat. It's True. Well I didn't Jump OUT Of MY SEAT.
Looks like the general concensus is "STADLER wins the scareist Muppet award!!!"

Convincing John

Reaction score
Randall Flagg said:
Cool, thanks for all the info. Somebody else just told me the character was called Lord Chatterly. Was that a different character?
Yes, that guy was called Lord Chatterly (or Mr. Chatterly) and hosted Alphabet Chats. At the beginning of the clips, Jerry and Richard sung the alphabet like this:

(In a "British" sort of tune):

Richard: A B C, D E
Jerry: C D E, F G
Both: H I J K, L M ENNNNNN OH-OH P,
Jerry: Q R S T U
Richard: R S T U V
Both: S T U V, W, X, Y ZEE-EEE A-AND A-AY, BE-EE, CEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

As they would sing, Mr. Chatterly, who smoked a pipe at the time, would turn the chair around and say something like "Hello, and welcome to another Alphabet Chats".

I can see why that darkened atmosphere of that room would scare kids, but I always liked them, particularly the one about "L", which I don't have :frown:

If you get to see it, it's pretty hilarious actually. Mr. Chatterly's (trying to) talk about "L" things when two kids (Anything People) wander onto the set. Looking for something to read, they say (loud enough for everybody to hear) "Hey, here's some books! (They move to the library backdrop) Hey, wait a minute! These books are just painted on! Let's go to the library where they've got some REAL books!"

Another part of that clip is where Cookie Monster opens the window and yells "LISTEN! Oh, oops! Sorry!" Then he shuts the window, and leaves.

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
In a british sort of tune? What is that suposed to mean? LOL!!!
Oh, sorry! :embarrassed: I didn't mean to offend anyone:eek: I'm a big fan of a lot of British bands like the Beatles and Jethro Tull, and the theme for "Alphabet Chats" sounds like something Ian Anderson (the lead for Jethro Tull) or John Lennon would have had a hand in writing. That's what I meant by "British tune"...it has nuances to a lot of my favorite Tull songs. I should have rephrased that last post. Sorry.

"Right idea, Wembley, but wrong expression.":smirk:

Also, maybe "British tune" popped into my head because Mr. Chatterly is supposed to be one of those traditional "dignified English chaps" (I could see him interviewing Patrick Stewart...another favorite British actor of mine!)...

But anyway, I meant "British tune" as a compliment, since it reminds me of Beatle and Tull songs I've loved and known forwards and backwards and upside-down for years.

Sorry if I confused anyone... :frown:

Convincing John