What should Disney buy next?

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I got the strange feeling a few days ago that Disney was going to acquire Fraggle Rock from Henson. I have nothing to support that, just a feeling.

Dunno how I'd react if this actually happened. On the one hand, Disney lacks the kindness and idealistic optimism that the show exemplifies. On the other hand, Pixar would stand a better chance of doing right by 'em. On the gripping hand, with Disney behind 'em something might actually happen.
I had a dream about that a few days ago, I'm glad I'm not the only one, except was kind of acquiring the whole company, but it was only mentioning Fraggle Rock.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree on nothing. Disney has enough brands as it is, and they focus excessively on certain brands they already own (cough talking vehicles and preschool programs cough cough). There's enough stuff they already own that should be brands but aren't, and there's a LOT of stuff they're just sitting on that they don't even realize they own. We really should have had a major nostalgic Disney Afternoon comeback. We got a couple comics and a video game remake... that's about it. Marvel and Star Wars can stand on their own two feet without Disney needing to push them. They did right by Marvel by just buying it up and letting it run itself. They need more of that.

Of course, let's not forget in both the case of The Muppets and Star Wars were sold to Disney under the enthusiasm of their previous owners. And Star Wars is in much better hands away from Lucas, anyway.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I read an article recently that said the reason they are buying everything under the sun, is because Mickey Mouse will go under public domain in 2015 or something like that.

But Disney always finds a way to extend copyright whenever Mickey Mouse is in danger of becoming public domain. And even if the copyright on Mickey Mouse does expire, Disney will still own the trademark as long as the character is in use (I wonder how long a character can go unused before the trademark expires).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Um... can't something be permanently copywritten?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Um... can't something be permanently copywritten?
No. Eventually all copyrights expire and the creations go into the public domain, with a few very specific exceptions: the Authorized King James Bible has a special Crown Copyright in the UK, and Peter Pan has an extended copyright that allows the Great Ormond Street Hospital to receive royalties a long as it is in existence.

On the other hand, while the US Constitution prohibits unlimited-term copyrights, it allows for extensions by act of Congress. And it does not limit the number of extensions or their length. So, Congress can allow for "perpetual copyright on the installment plan." Which is why Steamboat Willie is still under copyright decades after it would normally have entered public domain.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well then, I better pay really close attention to this "perpetual copyright on the installment plan" thing then.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's something about copyright law.

Popeye, as a character, is public domain all over the world except here.

That said, I just wonder how much Saban bought back of its catalog that Disney was just sitting on. I know they have the live action stuff, but it would be great if they went back and bought back the rights to all the animated programming as well. Samurai Pizza Cats is finally on DVD in 2 forms (American dub and original Japanese series), but I'd love to see Eek and The Tick in complete DVD form.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So for how long can you copyright something at a time then?