What should Disney buy next?

Drtooth

Reaction score
... and NO one complains when another, less competent company buys something.

May I remind anyone that the entire Filmation library was once owned by a shampoo company that bought it with no intention of using it?

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Speaking of companies buying out stuff, is anything being gained from DreamWorks purchasing Classic Media?

rowlfy662

Reaction score
Speaking of companies buying out stuff, is anything being gained from DreamWorks purchasing Classic Media?
Cause companies want more money and more properties in their libraries cause they now own things like He-man, The Original Ghostbusters etc and most importantly they have the money to do so . However I did here that DreamWorks where going to make a new He-Man cartoon so not all bad

mr3urious

Reaction score
Well, they're actually doing something with it, unlike L'Oreal. They're coming out with a Peabody & Sherman movie, for one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering Universal's stake in the Jay Ward characters when they started releasing those movies that flopped, then dropping their share of the license like a hot rock, I am a bit skeptical. It's probably true that Dreamworks bought up the company so they could make Jay Ward movies (if P&S is popular enough), but then you have the vast Filmation library. I don't see why Mattel doesn't pull a Hasbro and just purchase the rights to the He-Man Universe completely so they'd own the cartoon and the characters. Bill Cosby probably has enough to get Fat Albert, lubbock, stubbock, an'-ba babarrelbuh.

Of course, if there's one thing I want to see, if Peabody and Sherman is successful (and after Turbo, glob knows they need it) I want them to go to the other side of the Classic Media owned, Gamma animation studio made cartoon classics and reboot Underdog with a good movie. If they can do Peabody and Sherman completely CGI, there's no excuse to not make everyone forget about that travesty Disney farted out.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Why don't they just buy the 14th amendment and be able to buy us all as slaves and force us to write fanfics? Just kidding! Disney is awesome, but they need to work with what they have!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Um, that's already another major studio... that'd be like ABC buying NBC, or Burger King buying McDonald's.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Besides... NBC/Universal was bought by Comcast. Or was it Comcast was bought by Universal?

I dunno... point is, more vertical product integration.

But my question is, is it a bad thing if a smaller company was sold to a bigger company versus a bigger company just buying them out?

Disney bought Marvel and Pixar, while Disney was sold The Muppets and Star Wars (Lucas turned his profits over to charity, essentially making it the best thing he's ever done since the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies). Just like how Peter Laird, growing tired and stressful of having to manage Mirage Studios, sold the Ninja Turtles characters to Viacom. Fred Wolf films still owns the 80's show rights... that's why season 7 and the rest of the series had that long gap when they were released to DVD. I gotta admit, I wasn't too thrilled since... well... anyone who knows the history of Nicktoons doesn't really trust them. But they keep the retro merchandise flowing, the new series is a smash hit and really good, and the comics are still being produced (albeit in a different continuity). Only thorn in the side is the Michael Bay produced film.