What sketches scared you as a kid?

Zoot

Reaction score
LOLOL! I remember Lefty...he was the same guy from 'the golden AN' skit!

There was a live action scene of a bill board painter doing huge red letters on a white background. He starts doing a 'W', then an 'E'...and so on, as listed on a piece of paper he's reading from. He stands there after he's done trying to figure out what he'd just written - and he leans on the bill board and keeps staring confusedly at the piece of paper he's painting from and then it dawns on him... (this is the scary part) The camera zooms in on his face in front of which he's holding his hand, and his face twists into a horibble snarl and in a blood curttling scream he yells across the New York Skyline..."WET PAAAAAAIIINT!"

That scared me to death when I was little. I thought he was yelling at me.

Blind Pew

Reaction score
That's garish.

How many of us are in therapy now? We should send the bills to sesame street attn: harvey kneeslapper

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Do you remember the sketch with the guy painting some number onto everything? I just remember that he painted it on the back of a bald guy's head in a swimming pool or something. That bald guy scared me. I really thought the painter was going to get hurt.

One muppet they probably got rid of for the Fear Factor was a fave of mine called Frazzle, I think. I was an orange hairy monster who made unintelligible noises. He did look mean until you understood him.

But he participated in the Fuzzy and Blue song with Grover, Cookie Monster, and Herry Monster. Did you also notice a slow fading out of Herry Monster on SS? I noticed it even as a kid. Was it the "angry eyebrows" that the producers were gun-shy about?

Markus

Zoot

Reaction score
I think Harry was just boring. He walked around and sounded like an angry landlord...and he always was up in Mile's face (Miles is Gordons kid) about stupid things...besides...he had to compete with Super Grover and Cookie Monster.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this one counts, but I'm going to tell you a little story about me and a Big Bird doll.

You see, I had this Big Bird doll, right? FIRST OF ALL, IT LOOKED LIKE Big Bird was slender and sickly, dying even (possibly the old version of Big Bird where he had no feathers on his head) and it was a talking doll. And like the early days of talking dolls, they'd break down and their voices would slow down and get all low pitched. This absolutly terrified me. I was afraid of talking toys for countless years after that ( see and Says especially) it took me years to get over it. In fact, I still have the doll, alright. But good ol' Ma cut the pull string off. Talking Big Bird's reign of terror is now over! Now I own a bunch of toys that talk.

Zoot

Reaction score
LOLOLOL THAT's A RIOT. Dr Tooth

My little brother had a big bird that played tapes, and when you bought the formatted tapes he would read you a story...and his mouth would move along with the words on the tape.
If it was an unformatted tape, though, his mouth would move sporatically. That was in 89.
We found that toy about 6 years later and it still worked... My baby sister was about a year old and my brother was nine...we got the biggest kick out of putting different tapes into big bird(most none to wholesome) and watching my baby sister regard big bird's new songs with a very confused and unappreciative look on her face. She did that big bird in eventually...she pushed it down the stairs in the walker. (this was a punishment dolled out to a lot of her stuffed animals)

LabyrinthFan

Reaction score
I think Frank Oz once disclosed in an interview that
Jim Henson loved 'violence'. If that's true, it's certainly
evident in many of Sesame's younger years' skits.
The ones that always seemed unsettling to me (though
I still do love them!) were:

Farley (green boy with red hair voiced by Jerry Nelson)
is home alone at his aunt's house. A stranger is knocking
at the door. As the knocking goes on, he imagines all
the terrible scenarios that could some about if he opened
the door. Finally Herry monster breaks through and
Farley takes off screaming... only for Herry to reveal
that he just wanted to play dolls, aw... But the first
part of the skit was scary to me as a child!

Also, Kermit meeting the Count for the first time while looking
for the seven dwarves. The Count finds them, proceeds
to gets unnecessarily rough, and destroys their house!
LoL... what was this one teaching again? The same
kind of raucus humor shows up in the 'Hickory Dickory
Dock" sketch, a classic, as 'Beat the Time', 'Princess
and the Cookie' and Kermit's 'Feet' lesson. I always
wondered how they recreated those awful crashing
sound effects. We could probably make a great big list
of all the sketches that use that distinctive audio punchline!

little jerry

Reaction score
the number one sesame sketch that scared me

Okay here it goes: when i was growing up with sesame street there was a sketch that scared me alot i'm not jsut talking a little but a lot. like okay thee is this blue screan or another colored screan and all of a sudden this creepy voice starts couting the dots thats rigt singing and couting the dots. As the guy is couting the dots they becme brighter and brghter. nw of couse we get up to the second to last dot 39 as the guy anoouces the 39 dot he keeps saying 39 over and over while the screan goes blury in and out. This is where you want to get your remote controll and mute! finally he says 39 almsot shouting 39 and then what do e hear next but a loud and i mean loud shout of 40 and all the dots crash and nock theselves as if they were dominos. This i vote as me least favorite thank you

Drtooth

Reaction score
ANother one that sent me screaming was this animation (if you could call it that!) of an elephant counting to twenty. I was frightened by the Spanish version. It was so long too! He counted twice and everytime he got to fourteen, he'd angrilly repeat it (Fourteen) over and over until it appeared on screen!