What the "Stop Online Piracy Act" could mean for us USA folks...?

Drtooth

Reaction score
We already have our first victim of SOPA: MegaUpload (and I guess MegaVideo is probably gone now too).
You see, it's stuff like that I don't mind... just the large scale punishments of people who both willingly and unwittingly post youtube videos that seems draconian and pointless.

Well technically SOPA hasn't been passed yet. Ironically it's a victim of laws...we apparently already have...so I'm unclear as to why we even need SOPA at all, LOL.
Agreed. Like I said earlier, the guy who posted the Wolverine movie before it came out got punished severely WITHOUT SOPA/PIPA passing. The copyright laws are there, the penalties are there. They just want big bad government to step in and help them (especially since Fox is one of the supporters... you know, the news organization that's been shoving an anti-big government agenda...) because they have either the choice of spending a fortune prosecuting them themselves (and getting neglegable money back) or ignoring it, and wind up losing the amount of money they wouldn't get back anyway, since pirates wouldn't willfully pay for tickets to see those movies or CD's or iTunes anyway (they'd just go on without them).

I've heard that a certain amount of stores, both independent and national chains set aside a portion of money for shoplifting. Money lost by those who wouldn't pay for something that would be too pointless to try and persecute, or that fly under the radar. A true fan of anything would pay for the movie tickets, videos, CD's, as they want to support the artists behind them.

Still, TV shows they refuse to rerun or put on DVD or hulu or their own online streaming sites or even on demand will suffer as a result. I dunno about you, but I'm glad that I watched several episodes of 1960's Batman online. If they can't work out a fair compromise on the deal, none of them deserve it (except of course the actors, who are the ones suffering the most out of it). I don't see why Disney feels that they shouldn't release any of their old television cartoons from the 80's and 90's in full sets. I'd much rather buy them all up and watch them in something better than fuzzy taped off of television quality.

I'd have a lot more respect for this sort of thing IF it was about giving the artists and writers their fair share... but who are we kidding? Again, writer's strike. If a Writer's strike happened this year, we'd NEVER see them back, and we'd only see even more bad American Idol sweatshop clones. It's all about controlling the internet to make up for entitled revenues and to control content they only have a right to because they bought up all the copyrights they could.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Still, TV shows they refuse to rerun or put on DVD or hulu or their own online streaming sites or even on demand will suffer as a result.
They're just stalling the inevitable. They don't want to admit that TV (and DVD/Blu Ray for that matter) is old hat and eventually they will have to give in to new media.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Megaupload kinda sucked in my experience. Theres a billion file sharing websites, and when one closes, another will just pop up :/

But still, its unfortunate for everyone who had things on Megaupload

Drtooth

Reaction score
Megaupload kinda sucked in my experience. Theres a billion file sharing websites, and when one closes, another will just pop up :/

But still, its unfortunate for everyone who had things on Megaupload

Better Megaupload than Youtube. I may collect music (all out of print and/or too obscure to matter stuff), but I don't want to junk up my computer with videos. Watching them once or twice is fine by me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem with optimism is best case scenario, you're right about something, worst case scenario bad things happen. With pessimism worst case scenario, you're prepared best case scenario, you're a fool who worried too much... but a relieved fool.

It's better to be a fool who has nothing to worry about than be someone who's been let down (or worse).

Drtooth

Reaction score
A local news show put it into perspective.

Twitter (as well as other internet sources) was flooded by complaints and protests against SOPA and PIPA in the course of a week.

The Occupy Wall Street started up in September.

So basically the anti-SOPA activists managed to do in a week what the OWS couldn't do in several months.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
A local news show put it into perspective.

Twitter (as well as other internet sources) was flooded by complaints and protests against SOPA and PIPA in the course of a week.

The Occupy Wall Street started up in September.

So basically the anti-SOPA activists managed to do in a week what the OWS couldn't do in several months.
Makes sense, that's why you need a single, clear goal. The Occupiers, as much as I respect them, are too vague and broad in their goals.